MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

You are completely contradicting yourself.

No I’m not….football is just not as important to me as it used to be.
I would just become a ‘glory hunter’ like the 20k that were at Wembley.

I’ve done my time watching poor footy and we would have to be playing half decent football to tempt me every week.

I have a ST now but only take in half the fixtures as I’m in Spain quite a lot of the time but I’m still contributing!

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve done my time watching poor footy and we would have to be playing half decent football to tempt me every week.

I have a ST now but only take in half the fixtures as I’m in Spain quite a lot of the time but I’m still contributing!

I think as you get older you tend not to bother as much even with a season ticket, I used to book holidays around home games, now I'm not arsed. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I think as you get older you tend not to bother as much even with a season ticket, I used to book holidays around home games, now I'm not arsed. 

Correct…at one time I wouldn’t even book the family holidays until the fixtures came out, the wife used to go ballistic!!😂

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

OAPs season tickets are cheap in comparison to pay on the day, one reason maybe the attendances are so high even if they don't attend.

I'm old school though and even in the 1960s despite not a great team it was attractive football to watch.

Latics always seemed to have 2 good wingers, a midfield creator and a couple of goalscorers up front.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

OAPs season tickets are cheap in comparison to pay on the day, one reason maybe the attendances are so high even if they don't attend.

I'm old school though and even in the 1960s despite not a great team it was attractive football to watch.

Latics always seemed to have 2 good wingers, a midfield creator and a couple of goalscorers up front.

I ain't an OAP yet BP. Not long though. 

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

I ain't an OAP yet BP. Not long though. 

Not something to look forward to really, even with discounts on lots of things. I'd sooner be in 1960.🙂

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I'm on holiday on the date of the play off final...

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Still important enough to be a regular poster on here. . . 😉

To take your point- I’d just retire from Latics altogether and enjoy the sun. As you rightly point out - you/we have watched a lot of shit over the years. That’s because we have been shit, but also because the vast majority of league one, two, and NL sides are largely poor games. I’ve watched so many teams in league one who were absolutely dreadful and beat us 2-0. 

If you couldn’t hack it in league one you’ve no chance down here. You want a level football very few lower level sides have, and if they do play that way the manager quickly gets snapped up.  (The lad at Notts County springs to mind.) The vast majority of the time, it’s gritty, attritional, with the odd bit of quality thrown in to get results. 

Hello "board". I emigrated to Spain, June 2018 and my last time watching Latics was the draw at Northampton, which relegated us to League 2. Having recently come back to the UK, I was really looking forward to this match. Well... where do I start! First half was nothing I recognised as football. It really was like silly schoolboy head tennis;  awful to watch. Over a half time brew, I thought, "Ah well, at least MM will read the Riot Act and we'll be up and at 'em second half"

Wrong, and I came away from the game shaking my head in disbelief. It was like men v boys. Woking out-muscled us as well as passing the ball far better than us second half. I obviously don't know any of the players but my worry was this; not ONE Latics player stood out. Where was this classy Norwood I was looking forward to seeing?  I'd heard about Conlon (on Tues) being similar in style to the sublime John Sheridan. I didn't even know he was on the pitch until he was substituted! Our full backs were poor, our midfield gutless/clueless and we had nothing up front. I agreed with Raglan as our MoM - albeit via a 5 maybe 6/10 performance from him.

As a team there was no urgency, no movement, no desire and, frankly, no footballing acumen whatsoever. Why does the goalie wait an eternity before releasing the ball? Same from players on throw-ins and set pieces. It's like we want the opposition to set up their lines properly before we proceed to gift them the ball!

Granted, I`ve been to one game but if that is in any way indicative of our performance levels there is no chance of promotion (I accept we've had some wins but I don't know if they were flukes or not after witnessing that horror show on Saturday).

Please, someone tell me that they all had a stomach bug or something because that has to be the worst footballing performance I have seen for a very long time 🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Hello "board". I emigrated to Spain, June 2018 and my last time watching Latics was the draw at Northampton, which relegated us to League 2. Having recently come back to the UK, I was really looking forward to this match. Well... where do I start! First half was nothing I recognised as football. It really was like silly schoolboy head tennis;  awful to watch. Over a half time brew, I thought, "Ah well, at least MM will read the Riot Act and we'll be up and at 'em second half"

Wrong, and I came away from the game shaking my head in disbelief. It was like men v boys. Woking out-muscled us as well as passing the ball far better than us second half. I obviously don't know any of the players but my worry was this; not ONE Latics player stood out. Where was this classy Norwood I was looking forward to seeing?  I'd heard about Conlon (on Tues) being similar in style to the sublime John Sheridan. I didn't even know he was on the pitch until he was substituted! Our full backs were poor, our midfield gutless/clueless and we had nothing up front. I agreed with Raglan as our MoM - albeit via a 5 maybe 6/10 performance from him.

As a team there was no urgency, no movement, no desire and, frankly, no footballing acumen whatsoever. Why does the goalie wait an eternity before releasing the ball? Same from players on throw-ins and set pieces. It's like we want the opposition to set up their lines properly before we proceed to gift them the ball!

Granted, I`ve been to one game but if that is in any way indicative of our performance levels there is no chance of promotion (I accept we've had some wins but I don't know if they were flukes or not after witnessing that horror show on Saturday).

Please, someone tell me that they all had a stomach bug or something because that has to be the worst footballing performance I have seen for a very long time 🙄

Welcome back gringo...

Although I am not best placed to say that.

However, we will go up.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Just watching Blackburn v Wrexham. The difference between this game and Saturday is immense. I now realise how much needs to be done. Our football was non existent in comparison to the standard of this game.Really hurts to say how poor we currently are. No build up play, no midfield. Just hit teams on the break.Anyway back to tonight's game.Mellon has loads to do and I think he knows it.Lets hope we are lucky in the playoffs and that Mellon can continue to build.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

For somebody who has no clue as to our team, and players, that was just about as accurate an assessment as you could get!🤔

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I think you've summed up Saturday pretty well although most are hoping that's just a blip in the road.

I wonder if players watch the match back under Mellon?. That would be some punishment. 

Edited by yarddog73
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

For somebody who has no clue as to our team, and players, that was just about as accurate an assessment as you could get!🤔

Thanks! I`m sure Sat was just a one off. Although I now wonder whether I am the harbinger of doom i.e. my last game, before Sat., saw us relegated to league 2 and Sat. was just truly awful. I might re-emigrate (if that's even a word) if we play like that again!

Edited by spanishfly