MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

57 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

That was bloody awful. As bad as anything in the league for the last 2 seasons.

We made football look like the most difficult game in the world to play, shambolic  doesn't come close. 

Did we have a game plan ?, if we did I have no idea what it was. We kept hoofing it upfield, for it to come straight back at us, and just like lots of other teams this season Woking absolutely passed us to death.

We just don't seem to have any players in our team, who can just pass and go, and have genuine class with the ball at their feet.

I think that double M should take a look at himself regarding the way that we set up. Having Kitching playing pretty much as a winger, and having the nightmare of all nightmares whilst doing so, whilst Walker ? who would have been  far better suited to that role sat in the dugout for most of the game.

Niether could I see any sense in playing Mc ghahe at all.

All in all, the whole team had a shocker.

Man of the match our keeper, just for the save he made when one on one with their striker.

Well done Woking, you were way better than us.

47 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Even though the results have been better under MM, unfortunately the performances haven’t.

I didn’t think we played particularly well on Tuesday either and we could easily have lost that too!

The new lads who came on 2nd half looked way off the pace and is probably why they didn’t start.

I still, however, cannot understand why this football team of ours cannot pass a bloody football and is so static and one dimensional.

Persistently hoofing the ball 60 yards all through the game when it was obvious to everyone it wasn’t gaining any advantage is just bizarre!

I thought he’d change it 2nd half but it was the 1st thing we did from kick off…unbelievable!

Our desire, work rate, and movement off the ball is non existent and is for me the reason we are still so poor. 
I’ve seen that game today so many times recently and it’s mind numbingly frustrating.

I’m hoping our recent signings will begin to improve us soon because the way we are performing just now will be nowhere near good enough to win the playoffs!

The two posts above sum it up perfectly - I have nothing to add. 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If I was interviewing Mellon I'd ask him why he sets us up at home like we are the away team.

I thought his preferred formation was 4-3-3?

Fondop should be used off the bench at home.

Kitching doesn't look comfortable at wingback, almost ineffective. If Kitching and Sachdev are in there to create in that formation we are fucked.

We've got to change the way we play at home, so many shit teams have played us off the park since Mellon come in it's weird he can do fuck all about it.

My guess is that he’s thinking longer term into the season rather than just about the next 90 minutes. He’s definitely suggesting that with the Conlon and Dallas subs today. 

I think he’s probably planning to get to 433, especially at home but wants to have everyone match fit and up to speed before he goes for that from the start. 

3rd in the form table since MM took over, whilst having to do a rebuild of the team, he constatly talks about standards and consistency this takes time especially with an evolving squad.

We lose one game and the overreaction is staggering questioning tatics, team selection, many factors will be considered when selecting the team, every game he will be still learning what limitations we have, he will be working towards a plan to fix that.

In MM we trust KTF.

Edited by mickjagger
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, mickjagger said:

3rd in the form table since MM took over, whilst have to do a rebuild of the team, he constatly talks about standards and consistency this takes time especially with an evolving squad.

We lose one game and the overreaction is staggering questioning tatics, team selection, many factors will be considered when selecting the team, every game he will be still learning what limitations we have, he will be working towards a plan to fix that.

In MM we trust KTF.

You don't appoint someone like Mellon expecting that it will take loads of time to implement things surely? He isn't offering huge value on the training ground.

9 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

3rd in the form table since MM took over, whilst have to do a rebuild of the team, he constatly talks about standards and consistency this takes time especially with an evolving squad.

In MM we trust KTF.

I assume you didn't go today ?

It was as bad if not worse than anything seen under Unsworth.

Almost everyone who went says it was shocking from the players and management team.

if these starting  players and tactics are used in the next home game I predict another poor performance and a loss.

Change it to a more attacking  dynamic passing team and it might help.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You don't appoint someone like Mellon expecting that it will take loads of time to implement things surely? He isn't offering huge value on the training ground.

That's not what the players are saying Rob. 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That's not what the players are saying Rob. 

There hasn't been any great tactical improvement from an attacking perspective has there? We basically just look a bit more organised and still heavily reliant on Norwood.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Almost everyone who went says it was shocking from the players and management team.

if these starting  players and tactics are used in the next home game I predict another poor performance and a loss.

Stop being so negative all the time, attacking, dynamic football great cliche buzz words, you need the players to do that failing that you need to find a way to win games with the players at your disposal, the form table suggests he is doing a good job.

When MM took over from Unsworth the majority of supporters would of been estatic to reach the play offs, what has changed?

16 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

3rd in the form table since MM took over, whilst having to do a rebuild of the team, he constatly talks about standards and consistency this takes time especially with an evolving squad.

In MM we trust KTF.

You shouldn’t be surprised with some modern day football fans, and some dinosaurs too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

It shouldn't be a mystery Bradders, it is what Mellon teams do.

5 promotions under his belt,I couldn’t give a shit if it’s not exactly pep like footy,we don’t have the players for it anyway as a national league club.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Unsworth matches were far worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Looks like Lundstram is the latest boo boy. 

It just looks like him and Sheron are too similar to me. Seems like we should have either Lundstram or Sheron in ideally, but not both. However we don't have the CM options for that

I think there is some potential in there with Lundstram to be a different type of player, but he needs a coach who can improve his decision making and processing of the game. It seems to take him 5 seconds to process what he's seeing every time. The best example being the 2 on 1 chance he had with Norwood at Rochdale.

He seems to look at an available pass, take 5 seconds to realize it is an available pass, and then by that point the player is marked and he has to pass backwards 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Disappointed with MMs post match interview, blames the players yet attached no blame to himself for the usual hand the initiative to the opposition starting tactic and poor team selection.

I'd bet no matter how poor certain players were he will still select them at Ebbsfleet. He seems reluctant to drop his favourites even when they turn in weak performances.

Walker should be a certain starter, but for some reason he can't see it.

I don't want to hear 'A work in progress' again.

With the exception of Hogan who was suspended he selected the winning team from Tuesday which many have said performed admirably.No problem in saying go again lads but today was awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

He was carried by Conlon who wasn't as effective today.

I often wonder, as I read the comments on this board if we watch the same game as each other. Then I shrug my shoulders and remind myself; opinions.

However, for crying out loud, that has to be the most wtf post that I have read.

On Tuesday, particularly second half, we played as a team. Lundstram and Conlon complemented each other.

They worked well both together and individually. 

Early in the first half, Conlon was caught in possession on the edge of the box. But for Hogan, Barnet would have been in front.

Today, everyone was caught in posession. We were shocking as a whole (not individually) with or without the ball.

We play well as a team, we play shit as a team.

At least we are consistent.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

In MM we trust KTF.

38 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

In MM we trust KTF.

When you reduce that to the last 7 games or so then we’re 2nd in the form table. Which suggests we’re getting better. 3 new, key players need more game time and once they get that I can see us getting better. 

Today’s poor performance hasn’t changed my mind that top 3 is very much up for grabs. 

49 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Hammonds first proper game time today and I thought he was really bad. His first touch was awful, couldn’t pass, couldn’t tackle and I still don’t know what he was doing with that corner. Only way is up for him. 

Beyond bad to be honest. I noted he looked lost when he came on Tuesday night, albeit it was very brief and hard conditions. But, contrary to what people think, you can still get a feel for a player in that period.

He followed it up again today, garbage. Dickinson, Kurt and Gardner all better than him from what I’ve seen so far.