MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you've summed up Saturday pretty well although most are hoping that's just a blip in the road.

I wonder if players watch the match back under Mellon?. That would be some punishment. 

We had to suffer it for 90mins so should they.They best not fast forward it😀

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

As a team there was no urgency, no movement, no desire and, frankly, no footballing acumen whatsoever. Why does the goalie wait an eternity before releasing the ball? Same from players on throw-ins and set pieces. It's like we want the opposition to set up their lines properly before we proceed to gift them the ball!

It's been like that for a while. They never seem to be in a rush to get the ball back into play even when losing, cant get my head around that mentality.

Also, believe it or not, Hudson (GK) has improved quite a bit in this department too.

• Thanks 1

How many matches from league one and down have people been blown away by the standard either from the oppo or us? 

The only time it happens with the oppo is when the league leaders turn up. Southampton in league one for example. (Lambert Lallana etc)  I’ve never been blown away by us since the glory days.  We’ve had a spell with Shez (when he wasn’t fire fighting) a little spell with Lee Johnson and four games under Wellens.  But even then, the vast majority of time, we were either ok/decent in 10-20 minute spells or average. And Ultimately we did nothing. 

Point is- we haven’t played consistently good football for 30 years. 30 years of failure is our identity now. Winning needs to be our priority, not style of play. I want to be relevant again. I want to go to Bradford and Huddersfield away again. I don’t want to build a footballing philosophy and style over 3 years that goes nowhere or to be lauded for being an attractive to watch division 5 side. 

I just want to win. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How many matches from league one and down have people been blown away by the standard either from the oppo or us? 

The only time it happens with the oppo is when the league leaders turn up. Southampton in league one for example. (Lambert Lallana etc)  I’ve never been blown away by us since the glory days.  We’ve had a spell with Shez (when he wasn’t fire fighting) a little spell with Lee Johnson and four games under Wellens.  But even then, the vast majority of time, we were either ok/decent in 10-20 minute spells or average. And Ultimately we did nothing. 

Point is- we haven’t played consistently good football for 30 years. 30 years of failure is our identity now. Winning needs to be our priority, not style of play. I want to be relevant again. I want to go to Bradford and Huddersfield away again. I don’t want to build a footballing philosophy and style over 3 years that goes nowhere or to be lauded for being an attractive to watch division 5 side. 

I just want to win. 

Didn't we have this back end of last season with Unsworth though and many including myself called it out as unsustainable, I'm not drawing comparisons by the way.

Last season Wrexham were not that great to watch and ground teams down, us being an example of that at BP, but even though they were not great on the eye they wouldn't have had the piss taken out of them like we have several times this season, winning or promotion even is the be all and end all for me but I'd like us to at least match these teams coming to our place for the basics which I think are heart, desire, passion and pride. Some of them Saturday played like they were saving themselves for a big night out Saturday and that's what bugs me.

We are going to lose games in this division 100% it's the manner we are losing them that worries me and nothing changes from home game to home game. Talking about the last 30 years is irrelevant, most of our fans know when it's not good enough given we've seen enough shite, sadly Saturday was one of those days.

Saying all that I've booked the hotel for Wembley today 😂 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

For somebody who has no clue as to our team, and players, that was just about as accurate an assessment as you could get!🤔

He's right though, had a look of 'what are we doing here' attitude.

Edited by BP1960

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

I just want to win. 

Exactly! It's why when we do have a player with a bit of flair we love them and they become a fan favourite. Yes, we'd all love to play every team off the park, but we really don't have the players like that.

I have been regularly watching/supporting since 01/02 (for my sins), and in that time I can't say we were ever the best team in the league, so where is this demand for total football coming from? Just get us out of this godforsaken league, kicking and screaming for all I care.

Players that have stood out for me over the years and made me want to watch the game were, Eyresie and his magical left foot. Shez on one leg. Kilkenny on loan. Wellens in midfield. Chris Taylor on the wing. Dale Stephens pinging passes. Jose Baxter and his flair etc.. (obviously plenty more in that period, these are just some off the top of my head). These individuals made the shit we were watching more bearable. It's the same for me now. The priority, win and get out of the league. Enjoy the little moments in games where a player does something nice and just hope next season we play better!

• Like 2

I'd prefer to gain promotion with entertaining football like Latics did in 90/91

Why does it need to be boring ugly football? All it needs is finding footballers who can play a good attacking game.

Walker and Dallas look a good start toward this. Plenty about at all levels.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

There is something intrinsically attractive in playing consistently winning football. It would bring with it a lot of the determination, aggression and commitment that we're crying out for. The players Mellon has brought in such as Dallas, Walker, Conlon and Stones don't suggest he is seeking a dull and attritional style.

We're still a work in progress. I guess a matter of some concern is that three out of the last four performances have been poor, one of those was the travesty against Hendon which perhaps can be discounted due to the team selection. Perhaps this is inevitable with new players to bed in, perhaps the uncertainty around players on the cusp of leaving is affecting morale.

Really hope we bounce back on Saturday, need to keep that feelgood play off places feeling going. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'd prefer to gain promotion with entertaining football like Latics did in 90/91

Why does it need to be boring ugly football? All it needs is finding footballers who can play a good attacking game.

Walker and Dallas look a good start toward this. Plenty about at all levels.

What is this sudden obsession with Walker-you mention him in nearly every post now yet he hasn't shown anything yet for me in his brief cameo?

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

I just want to win. 

I think I was properly blown away once by us... Portsmouth away in September 2017. It was an absolutely fantastic performance. I've just checked back on my messages on a football group with my mates (they're mostly donny rovers sadly)...

"Really good half that. Better team, good football, entertaining open game. Normally I'm filled with bitter regret by this point"

"Sexy stuff this"

Then the messages post game are more about nearly getting hit in the head by a coin and a flying packet of polos.

Unfortunately, that didn't lead to consistency or success . Cheers Abdallah.

However success comes now, I'll be happy with it. If it's not freeflowing entertaining football that doesn't matter. And it doesn't mean we can't see lots of goals and wins.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think I was properly blown away once by us... Portsmouth away in September 2017. It was an absolutely fantastic performance. I've just checked back on my messages on a football group with my mates (they're mostly donny rovers sadly)...

"Really good half that. Better team, good football, entertaining open game. Normally I'm filled with bitter regret by this point"

"Sexy stuff this"

Then the messages post game are more about nearly getting hit in the head by a coin and a flying packet of polos.

Unfortunately, that didn't lead to consistency or success . Cheers Abdallah.

However success comes now, I'll be happy with it. If it's not freeflowing entertaining football that doesn't matter. And it doesn't mean we can't see lots of goals and wins.

Blackburn at home and Bradford away during that run were also very good.

If only the wheels didn't fall off...

• Like 1

The charity shops have stopped taking my sombreros and paella pans, so I took a break from de-cluttering and  looked at some stats. Apologies if this board has mulled it over before but MM's record is weird! I`ve just counted football games (all competitions) since he's been manager and marked the Micklewotsit game as a "draw" i.e. at end of normal time (and not a win on pens).

Away we have a remarkable 75% win rate 

At home that drops to 22%

It sticks out like a cherry-coloured Englishman in a Spanish bar. Surely there is a simple explanation and the issue can be resolved? Get the home win rate to anything approaching the away one and we are sorted. Aren't we? I know I must be missing something here 😕

43 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

The charity shops have stopped taking my sombreros and paella pans, so I took a break from de-cluttering and  looked at some stats. Apologies if this board has mulled it over before but MM's record is weird! I`ve just counted football games (all competitions) since he's been manager and marked the Micklewotsit game as a "draw" i.e. at end of normal time (and not a win on pens).

Away we have a remarkable 75% win rate 

At home that drops to 22%

It sticks out like a cherry-coloured Englishman in a Spanish bar. Surely there is a simple explanation and the issue can be resolved? Get the home win rate to anything approaching the away one and we are sorted. Aren't we? I know I must be missing something here 😕

It's simple really, change the formation to attacking for home games instead of sitting deep.

• Like 1

• Matt unfeatured this topic