MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know he’s got 5 promotions, and he’s taken us from bottom 4 to fifth. I know the Rothwells are backing us to the hilt, and I know our overall form is very good. I know we are at our lowest level in our history, and I know we’ve had 4 relegations in 30 years. 

But I’m not comfortable with ‘just winning’ I’d much prefer to lose and be entertained. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

Be nice to win whilst also being entertaining at the same time though, wouldn't it...

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know he’s got 5 promotions, and he’s taken us from bottom 4 to fifth. I know the Rothwells are backing us to the hilt, and I know our overall form is very good. I know we are at our lowest level in our history, and I know we’ve had 4 relegations in 30 years. 

But I’m not comfortable with ‘just winning’ I’d much prefer to lose and be entertained. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

You do know we were 10th when he took over and not bottom four. A lot of what you say I agree with but Mellons form at home if you count the Mickleover and Hendon games is worse than Unsworths.

P9 W2 D3 L4 at 1 point a game.

Now that's a worry particularly as we've been exposed countless times by teams on a fraction of our budget. 

Thompson managed 8 points from 4 games with a supposedly inferior bunch.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Be nice to win whilst also being entertaining at the same time though, wouldn't it...

So entitled. . 😂

Of course it would. 

But we’ve got some silly and bizarre comments on this thread. We’ve literally got people saying- ‘just winning isn’t enough’ 

We lost yesterday, and it was shit. 

But we won the last four,  Mellon’s PPG is nearly 2 points a game, and we’ve gone from bottom four to the playoffs. 

The style is poor to watch. 

But we sit fifth. 

Most of the players are shit. 

The same players that beat Barnet Tuesday. 

Some are saying - in the same sentence, yeah I get we’re in the playoffs but we’re awful. It’s absolute bollocks. We’re a good side transitioning into a very good one, who occasionally throw in a stinker. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You do know we were 10th when he took over and not bottom four. A lot of what you say I agree with but Mellons form at home if you count the Mickleover and Hendon games is worse than Unsworths.

Now that's a worry particularly as we've been exposed countless times by teams on a fraction of our budget. 

I would love to see people’s reactions if Unsworth had won a couple of cup games but had terrible league form and someone tried to include the cup wins in his PPG. 

I think there wouldn’t be half the meltdown on here if Mellon’s home and away record was swapped round. Despite the points counting the same and us most likely playing away in the play offs. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course - sorry. But still 10th to 5th is decent. Unsworth in similar time had taken us backwards with 3 wins in 17. 

Shall we balance that with our away record? 

If we beat most at home and the above was our away record- would you be concerned? 

Does home v away matter or is the collective points haul more important? 

We can debate all day, but the bottom line is- he’s doing a good job and we’re well placed. 

• Like 2

Just remembered we got knocked out the FAC by Newport this season. We could’ve been playing the rags today (yes I know it doesn’t work like that with the numbered balls!!!)

Nuttall buries his chances v Newport, becomes a hero, fires us to promotion and a cup win v Man Utd. Sliding doors alternate universe stuff right there.

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re the one that said it. 😂

If we played all season like yesterday but somehow managed to be top I take it you’d be OK with that?

I wouldn’t…I’d be happy for the club I’ve supported all my life but I wouldn’t be at BP every week that’s for sure!

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Give him the backing without the jibes and let’s have a run of a few seasons with a successful, proven manager. 

There are many, myself included, who do question certain aspects of Mellon’s approach to games and his ability to galvanise the team against a certain type of opposition.

Do I back him? Absolutely.

Do I level ‘jibes’ against him? Absolutely not.

Am I convinced that he is the right man? Not yet.

I think some people really need to move on from the Royle years, they were 35 years ago. We played pretty, progressive football under Wellens and got relegated. We played some lovely football under Kewell and finished 17th.

I'm 33 and have seen us finish top 6 twice. Twice! I just want to see us achieve something, and I think Mellon is putting us in a good position to do that. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There are many, myself included, who do question certain aspects of Mellon’s approach to games and his ability to galvanise the team against a certain type of opposition.

Do I back him? Absolutely.

Do I level ‘jibes’ against him? Absolutely not.

Am I convinced that he is the right man? Not yet.

Not yet the right man but what qualifies that? You couldn’t get more qualified at this level. This appointment needs to be a minimum three year agreement. Even a doubt over whether he’s the right man currently is mad. The drama over the last 24 hrs has been ridiculous. 

The Football can be absolutely woeful for me if it brings success. 30 yrs without any success should make fans realise what’s now important. Not ‘attractive football’. But Winning. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If we played all season like yesterday but somehow managed to be top I take it you’d be OK with that?

I wouldn’t…I’d be happy for the club I’ve supported all my life but I wouldn’t be at BP every week that’s for sure!

After 30 years of utter dross and four relegations. . . yeah I would be absolute buzzing. 

You are saying the following. 

I’ll only be happy and attend if we went up AND I was entertained. 

If we went up and the style was poor, I’d be happy for the club but wouldn’t attend. 🤯

. . . I know we don’t each know other, but I absolute guarantee you would be at BP if we were top of league. . . 

• Like 2

It amazes me how people seem to think it's a reasonable expectation of MM to have turned this bunch of non-league cloggers into Barcelona in the space of three months. 

He's come in, improved our form, got us into the playoff places, and made several well-received signings. Many of those haven't played much football recently so will take time to get up to speed - and need managing accordingly.

Am I pleased with yesterday's performance and result? No. 

Does it surprise me that we're a bit inconsistent and throw in a few howlers of a performance at this point? No. 

Do I think he's doing a decent job so far? Yes. 

Give the bloke a chance... 

• Like 14

I am sure MM will continue to improve the team and we are in a much better place than we have been for a long time as regards league position. It will take time to get us moving a bit more up the table and we should end up in the play offs.

What was disappointing yesterday was the style of play-continuously hoofing the ball up the field which their defence were mainly able to deal with. Woking were far better at passing the ball than we were. Why can we not play a better passing game? Our midfield hardly saw the ball yesterday, except in the sky, as a few have said, as it passed over their heads. Passing was marginally better in last 20 minutes but Woking dug in and dealt with us efficiently. 

Raglan was named man of the match but I thought Hobson was better overall as he made some runs upfield and passed the ball into the forwards.  We need to play a better passing game than we currently witness. 

As regards the past I have been at many games when we were in L1 and L2 where we had crowds of less than 3,000. We are getting crowds bigger than some teams in L1. Let's look forward and be positive. 

6 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

It amazes me how people seem to think it's a reasonable expectation of MM to have turned this bunch of non-league cloggers into Barcelona in the space of three months. 

He's come in, improved our form, got us into the playoff places, and made several well-received signings. Many of those haven't played much football recently so will take time to get up to speed - and need managing accordingly.

Am I pleased with yesterday's performance and result? No. 

Does it surprise me that we're a bit inconsistent and throw in a few howlers of a performance at this point? No. 

Do I think he's doing a decent job so far? Yes. 

Give the bloke a chance... 

Don't think anyone is expecting Barcelona, more just not to still being comprehensively outplayed and outwitted by teams with far inferior budgets.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ll only be happy and attend if we went up AND I was entertained. 

What I did say is producing what we did yesterday over the course of the season would not get me to BP every week, regardless of league position.

I’m probably a fair bit older than you and it’s maybe why we have differing opinions on what constitutes an enjoyable afternoon.

Doesn’t mean either of us is wrong!

45 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I would love to see people’s reactions if Unsworth had won a couple of cup games but had terrible league form and someone tried to include the cup wins in his PPG. 

I think there wouldn’t be half the meltdown on here if Mellon’s home and away record was swapped round. Despite the points counting the same and us most likely playing away in the play offs. 

if you take Norwood goal and half them and take two away per penalty. ignore all his class all over the pitch and he is shite

its the same mob. absolute tards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think anyone is expecting Barcelona, more just not to still being comprehensively outplayed and outwitted by teams with far inferior budgets.

But then mastermind wins against top 7 sides. 

He either knows what he’s doing or he doesn’t. 

It’s like people are saying- I know he’s won most of the games, but they don’t count because we can’t beat lowly sides at home. 

Just now, League one forever said:

But then mastermind wins against top 7 sides. 

He either knows what he’s doing or he doesn’t. 

It’s like people are saying- I know he’s won most of the games, but they don’t count because we can’t beat lowly sides at home. 

Surely we should at the point now though where we should expect (so entitled) a base level peformance? At the moment we still don't know how we are going to play from one game to the next, teams with pretensions of doing anything can't be like that.

• Like 2