MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

37 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If we played all season like yesterday but somehow managed to be top I take it you’d be OK with that?

I wouldn’t…I’d be happy for the club I’ve supported all my life but I wouldn’t be at BP every week that’s for sure!

hope it happens then. take the rest of the twonks with youz

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think anyone is expecting Barcelona, more just not to still being comprehensively outplayed and outwitted by teams with far inferior budgets.

Don’t think we should underestimate how much of a cup final playing us at BP is for a lot of these teams that are at their highest ever level and normally play in front of a fraction of that sort of crowd. 

It’s not the only factor but it will have some effect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

What I did say is producing what we did yesterday over the course of the season would not get me to BP every week, regardless of league position.

I’m probably a fair bit older than you and it’s maybe why we have differing opinions on what constitutes an enjoyable afternoon.

Doesn’t mean either of us is wrong!

But we don’t produce it over the course of the season. 

We’ve had four horror shows at home, Ebbsfleet, Mickleover, Hendon, and Woking. 

Alty and Eastleigh at home we played ok/well at times. We beat Hartlepool and Barnet. 

We’ve had very good performances away at Woking, Barnet, Hartlepool, and Solihul (second half) 

You can’t take one game and extrapolate it as the type football for the season.

Age is irrelevant- I will never believe that you will sit at home and miss a promotion because for a number of games in the season the football was poor. Who cares!? It’s about winning. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Not yet the right man but what qualifies that? You couldn’t get more qualified at this level. This appointment needs to be a minimum three year agreement. Even a doubt over whether he’s the right man currently is mad. The drama over the last 24 hrs has been ridiculous. 

Since MM has taken over the managerial role we have had a few bad results and even more bad performances:

Fylde A - lost 3-0

Ebbsfleet H - lost 1-4

Gateshead H - lost 1-2

Woking H - lost 0-1

and that’s without mentioning Mickleover and Hendon in the FA Trophy… and there’s the performance at Newport in the FA Cup. Or even our ‘daylight robbery’ at Dorking.

Yesterday’s performance was far from being a ‘one-off’.

As I said, I back him but I am yet to be convinced.

24 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Not yet the right man but what qualifies that? You couldn’t get more qualified at this level. This appointment needs to be a minimum three year agreement. Even a doubt over whether he’s the right man currently is mad. The drama over the last 24 hrs has been ridiculous. 

The Football can be absolutely woeful for me if it brings success. 30 yrs without any success should make fans realise what’s now important. Not ‘attractive football’. But Winning. 

I don't think that there has been drama over the last 24 hours. Just fans giving their  points of view. 

You state that what is important, is not attractive football, but winning.  Well yesterday was neither .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Surely we should at the point now though where we should expect (so entitled) a base level peformance? At the moment we still don't know how we are going to play from one game to the next, teams with pretensions of doing anything can't be like that.

Yep, that’s a very fair point. 

Yesterday was shit, and we should expect better moving forward. BUT it doesn’t airbrush the other results which have got to a place of doing something. . . 

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Since MM has taken over the managerial role we have had a few bad results and even more bad performances:

Fylde A - lost 3-0

Ebbsfleet H - lost 1-4

Gateshead H - lost 1-2

Woking H - lost 0-1

and that’s without mentioning Mickleover and Hendon in the FA Trophy… and there’s the performance at Newport in the FA Cup. Or even our ‘daylight robbery’ at Dorking.

Yesterday’s performance was far from being a ‘one-off’.

As I said, I back him but I am yet to be convinced.

Do you like/rate our away performances and results? 

4 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I don't think that there has been drama over the last 24 hours. Just fans giving their  points of view. 

You state that what is important, is not attractive football, but winning.  Well yesterday was neither .

As I’ve already stated you are not going to win them all. Look how long it’s taken for Chesterfield to find that winning side. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I’ve seen us win at Barnet, Woking, Solihull and Dorking under MM. The way we are set up away from home is far better than how we approach our home games. Performances have been decent, and Dorking apart, we have deserved the victories.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’ve seen us win at Barnet, Woking, Solihull and Dorking under MM. The way we are set up away from home is far better than how we approach our home games. Performances have been decent, and Dorking apart, we have deserved the victories.

In 57 years of watching I've never understood why home and away teams have to be set up so differently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Unbelievable record away from home for Mellon but it's still okay to chew the fat over why we are so poor at home, even the two wins against Barnet and Hartlepool I thought we were poor for the first half hour and showed frailties, I wouldn't mind if you could see something building at home but there's literally nothing to us on our own patch and I personally find it frustrating.

I honestly still fancy us to go close or even go up this season but we need to find a way at home, next home game not till 2 week Tuesday so plenty of time to work on it, 

Get Cian Hayes in from Fleetwood and go with that front three, he plays off the right but is two footed and he'll give the forward line pace and energy it needs, getting Dallas and Conlon up to speed will also be massive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But we don’t produce it over the course of the season

Our home performances so far this season have been generally poor and we have been almost as bad as yesterday on several occasions too!

Even in the games we’ve won we haven’t always been convincing.

We’ve been 2nd best to too many teams at home and it has to change.

I’m hopeful MM can improve our style of football as well as our results but IMO we’re nowhere near yet.

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Unbelievable record away from home for Mellon but it's still okay to chew the fat over why we are so poor at home, even the two wins against Barnet and Hartlepool I thought we were poor for the first half hour and showed frailties, I wouldn't mind if you could see something building at home but there's literally nothing to us on our own patch and I personally find it frustrating.

I honestly still fancy us to go close or even go up this season but we need to find a way at home, next home game not till 2 week Tuesday so plenty of time to work on it, 

Get Cian Hayes in from Fleetwood and go with that front three, he plays off the right but is two footed and he'll give the forward line pace and energy it needs, getting Dallas and Conlon up to speed will also be massive.

Yeah, I’m not blinkered to the home form- it’s not great and there’s no getting away from that. To many games we are passive and look a yard off it. God knows why. But like I said earlier-  if the away props up the home form it’s tomato tamato to me. 

12 hours ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

Ah.That explains it. Something tells me he won't have a long career as a keeper..

If you like that sort of thing, there is a really good podcast series, Beyond the 92. 

Liam Hogan has been on it, but basically two current National League players interview another NL player. 

The keeper was on it a few weeks ago, funny story about Norwood winding him up included. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

If you like that sort of thing, there is a really good podcast series, Beyond the 92. 

Liam Hogan has been on it, but basically two current National League players interview another NL player. 

The keeper was on it a few weeks ago, funny story about Norwood winding him up included. 

Cba scrolling back. Who’s the keeper with all the followers ? 

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Don’t think we should underestimate how much of a cup final playing us at BP is for a lot of these teams that are at their highest ever level and normally play in front of a fraction of that sort of crowd. 

I think that take lets our players off too easily.

Why can't it be a cup final for our players - every other week!  With the exception of a few in our squad, it's the biggest stage they will have played on...

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think that take lets our players off too easily.

Why can't it be a cup final for our players - every other week!  With the exception of a few in our squad, it's the biggest stage they will have played on...

Because we are the golden goose in the NL, and we pay very well. That has pluses and minuses. Mellon said only this week, that offers had made been to some of our players but they turned it down because they won’t get what they’re offered here. 

Does every player really put it in every game when they’re on good money or do they coast. . . 

Dorking, Woking, Ebbsfleet etc will have lads on half the money - but that run their bollocks off in the hope of getting a move to earn what some of our players do. 

People are always more hungry climbing the ladder than being at top. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Because we are the golden goose in the NL, and we pay very well. That has pluses and minuses. Mellon said only this week, that offers had made been to some of our players but they turned it down because they won’t get what they’re offered here. 

Does every player really put it in every game when they’re on good money or do they coast. . . 

Dorking, Woking, Ebbsfleet etc will have lads on half the money - but that run their bollocks off in the hope of getting a move to earn what some of our players do. 

People are always more hungry climbing the ladder than being at top. 

Maybe we're offering too much, then!

You'd still expect the players here to use us as a springboard to the next level.  If we've got a squad full of players with no ambition the recruitment process really has been a shit show...

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

What is your overall position ? You seem to just think everything’s fine and everyone is over reacting ?

We are unbelievably inconsistent (consistently inconsistent). So how / why are you down playing everything? 

My overall position is that we've got a man in who has won 5 promotions he's not a fucking idiot. He's 3 months into this. We have seen a massive upturn in results. We have 5 new players that need some time to gel. We are in a playoff position and I have complete faith we will stay there. You say we are unbelievably inconsistent, our results under MM disagree with you. There is nothing to downplay apart from some ridiculous overreacting on here. Get a grip

7 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I never mentioned Kewell. 

Under Joe Royle, we had the best spell that we have ever had, and for the most part were  terrific to watch. 

You mentioned football like we played under Royle always thinking we will outscore the opposition. Kewell did that.  We finished nowhere. So is it entertainment you want or success?

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If we played all season like yesterday but somehow managed to be top I take it you’d be OK with that?

I wouldn’t…I’d be happy for the club I’ve supported all my life but I wouldn’t be at BP every week that’s for sure!

What an absolutely embarrassing stance. If we are winning the league but the football isn't up to scratch you won't be happy. 

Likely you'll never be happy then so I'd give up supporting us if I were you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Maybe we're offering too much, then!

You'd still expect the players here to use us as a springboard to the next level.  If we've got a squad full of players with no ambition the recruitment process really has been a shit show...

I think there’s an argument to say we might have overpaid in wages for a few.

I’m not saying we are full of players with no ambition, I’m saying we might have some who are in the comfort zone.  And even with them, I don’t think it will be consciously thinking - ‘right I’m not putting it in now.’ It will be subconscious, Gym, chefs, good money, really looked after. They’re a lot of league two clubs that don’t offer what we do. You might even say they’re relatively pampered.

Then Dorking turn up at our place with a bag of crisps and loads of team spirit . . . and we struggle to adapt. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I think there’s an argument to say we might have overpaid in wages for a few.

I’m not saying we are full of players with no ambition, I’m saying we might have some who are in the comfort zone.  And even with them, I don’t think it will be consciously thinking - ‘right I’m not putting it in now.’ It will be subconscious, Gym, chefs, good money, really looked after. They’re a lot of league two clubs that don’t offer what we do. You might even say they’re relatively pampered.

Then Dorking turn up at our place with a bag of crisps and loads of team spirit . . . and we struggle to adapt. 

Yes, agreed.

I think the issue is (as I've said before) the recruitment structure.  Do we really need a "stats department"?  It tells you nothing about the player as a person.  It might work in the Premier League, but we need to keep it old school at this level, I reckon - let the manager and manager alone pick who he works with, with the help of trusted scouts.