MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

27 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What an absolutely embarrassing stance. If we are winning the league but the football isn't up to scratch you won't be happy. 

Win at all costs is not for me.

Maybe in a one off games ie. In cup competition or the playoff finals but I’ve told you I want to see some decent football being played on the way.

Playing regularly the way we did on Saturday would not get me down to BP very often and I suspect it’s the same for plenty of others!

I’ve been going to BP since 1959 and have seen my fair share of crap believe me….nowadays I just have a different perspective than you….get over it!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe in a one off games ie. In cup competition or the playoff finals

You are completely contradicting yourself.

You don’t like win at all costs over the season, even though that enables us  to get a playoff final, but once we’re there you don’t mind it. 😂

In summary- you like picking and choosing when winning matters. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe in a one off games ie. In cup competition or the playoff finals but I’ve told you I want to see some decent football being played on the way.

Playing regularly the way we did on Saturday would not get me down to BP very often and I suspect it’s the same for plenty of others!

I’ve been going to BP since 1959 and have seen my fair share of crap believe me….nowadays I just have a different perspective than you….get over it!!

I get what you're saying, but I think we worry about good football later.  Promotion by hook or by crook has to be the order of the day at the moment.

Yesterday was neither good football or winning football.  No one will come back and watch that, if it happens that often.  In fairness the football has been alright under Mellon generally - and winning football too.  It's still better than Unsworth.  That's probably why Saturday was such a disappointment.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If we played all season like yesterday but somehow managed to be top I take it you’d be OK with that?

I wouldn’t…I’d be happy for the club I’ve supported all my life but I wouldn’t be at BP every week that’s for sure!

This has to be one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. Deary me, you would be unhappy if we ended up top but played crap football? Stop talking rubbish. Ridiculous points. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think anyone is expecting Barcelona, more just not to still being comprehensively outplayed and outwitted by teams with far inferior budgets.

is it being big-headed to suggest that a trip to Boundary Park is the biggest game of the season for plenty of teams in this division?

Our history, stadium and warm welcome give these players a lift. Nearly 7k there yesterday to watch us play Woking. It’s their Cup Final.

We’re not seeing the usual “Woking’s, Gateshead’s or Ebbsfleet’s”. We’re seeing inspired players, collectively playing one of their best games of the season.

We’ve got to find a way to overwhelm these teams at home and get the three points, because points, not performances, are all that matters when you’re not in the EFL.

Mellon’s got us on track as far as I’m concerned, despite the obvious blips like yesterday.

Same could be said of teams going to play at Chesterfield. Big ground, big club and ex league members.

Difference is their pumping teams at home very easily. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Same could be said of teams going to play at Chesterfield. Big ground, big club and ex league members.

And it's taken them 6 years to get to that point. In those 6 years they've been turned over by these teams dozens of times

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Last season they lost at home to Maidenhead, Dagenham and Woking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

is it being big-headed to suggest that a trip to Boundary Park is the biggest game of the season for plenty of teams in this division?

Our history, stadium and warm welcome give these players a lift. Nearly 7k there yesterday to watch us play Woking. It’s their Cup Final.

We’re not seeing the usual “Woking’s, Gateshead’s or Ebbsfleet’s”. We’re seeing inspired players, collectively playing one of their best games of the season.

We’ve got to find a way to overwhelm these teams at home and get the three points, because points, not performances, are all that matters when you’re not in the EFL.

Mellon’s got us on track as far as I’m concerned, despite the obvious blips like yesterday.

I think there's something in this. I suspect we also relax a little when we're playing "lesser" teams and we're not good enough to do that. We're normally on it against the bigger teams and have had good results in our big games (Rochdale, Chesterfield, Barnet x2). There are outliers of course (Bromley) but I think Unsworth had lost the dressing room by then.

17 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I think there's something in this. I suspect we also relax a little when we're playing "lesser" teams and we're not good enough to do that. 

If that's the case there is a serious man management issue which should have been resolved by now

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If that's the case there is a serious man management issue which should have been resolved by now

You say that but that sort of mentality doesn’t change most of the time by bringing someone new in as manager. It’s instilled in the majority of these players hence why Mellon wants a clear out.

Loans have been the majority of Jan business to plug gaps, which suggests the big shift due to players refusing to leave won’t be until the summer. 

19 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

You say that but that sort of mentality doesn’t change most of the time by bringing someone new in as manager. It’s instilled in the majority of these players hence why Mellon wants a clear out.

Loans have been the majority of Jan business to plug gaps, which suggests the big shift due to players refusing to leave won’t be until the summer. 

Yes, but I'm sure a team of players who actually act as/want to be professionals can be cobbled together from what we have.  

Edited by Dave_Og

32 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

25 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

You say that but that sort of mentality doesn’t change most of the time by bringing someone new in as manager. 

But surely it’s up to the Manager to affect that change? 

I watched a team play without any real urgency or control on Saturday - continually lumping the ball forward to two isolated strikers.
It was a collective shambles on the pitch and Mellon seemingly did nothing to change the approach - he is the manager and he works with them all week in training and yet..,

Yes the players have to take the blame for the defeat but the manager has to take his share too.

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But surely it’s up to the Manager to affect that change? 

I watched a team play without any real urgency or control on Saturday - continually lumping the ball forward to two isolated strikers.
It was a collective shambles on the pitch and Mellon seemingly did nothing to change the approach - he is the manager and he works with them all week in training and yet..,

Yes the players have to take the blame for the defeat but the manager has to take his share too.

It all seems to fall on the manager, but who's the coach, hasn't he some responsibility? I can't recollect hearing anything from him on his tactical approach.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

As soon as the manager can play all his signings the better. They seem to have better technique than most of DUs and some with welcome pace.

Edited by BP1960

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As soon as the manager can play all his signings the better. They seem to have better technique than most of DUs and some with welcome pace.

Of the players that the new manager inherited, there are a number like Hudson, Kitching, Hobson, Raglan, Norwood, Hogan who would be regular starters… that’s six of the starting eleven. 
All his signings… ( five), include Dallas and Conlon plus Sachdev, Hammond, Walker, got on to the pitch yesterday.

We need these players to gel quickly - but I don’t think we have enough ‘better’ players at the club yet.

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Of the players that the new manager inherited, there are a number like Hudson, Kitching, Hobson, Raglan, Norwood, Hogan who would be regular starters… that’s six of the starting eleven. 
All his signings… ( five), include Dallas and Conlon plus Sachdev, Hammond, Walker, got on to the pitch yesterday.

We need these players to gel quickly - but I don’t think we have enough ‘better’ players at the club yet.

Play a back 4 and that leaves an extra space.

19 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Not sure Kitching and Sachdev are up to playing full backs after Saturday's performances.

I think we still have an issue at rightback, I know two games is no time but the new lad looks so far off it at the minute, in the summer we need to find an established rightback as a priority.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we still have an issue at rightback, I know two games is no time but the new lad looks so far off it at the minute, in the summer we need to find an established rightback as a priority.

Suppose it's a big step up from U21's to first team men's football.

He's a bit physically lightweight and not "bombed on" as much as I'd hoped he would, but hopefully will improve as he gains confidence.

It should remain a priority when the season ends and we clear the decks!

51 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Not sure Kitching and Sachdev are up to playing full backs after Saturday's performances.

First bad game from Kitching in a long time - though he is more of a wing back than a full back I think.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

First bad game from Kitching in a long time - though he is more of a wing back than a full back I think.

Yes he's been consistent going forwards all season but I'm not convinced defensively.

He's a bit like "Bambi on ice" and takes a while to get his feet moving. 

7 hours ago, Fervid said:

no it can't. for starters theyve been here half a decade, theyve been bere before and theyre a plucky little L2 stroke non league club. fuckall like us.

if they fill the chaddy l'll have another look.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes he's been consistent going forwards all season but I'm not convinced defensively.

He's a bit like "Bambi on ice" and takes a while to get his feet moving. 

How would you describe Hobson's running style?