MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

That doesn't really make any sense, unless you are suggesting we were forced into appointing Mellon...

Who was forced into appointing Unsworth? The club could've appointed anyone, and they appointed him. 

They then saw sense and appointed a proper manager 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

Disappointed with MMs post match interview, blames the players yet attached no blame to himself for the usual hand the initiative to the opposition starting tactic and poor team selection.

I'd bet no matter how poor certain players were he will still select them at Ebbsfleet. He seems reluctant to drop his favourites even when they turn in weak performances.

Walker should be a certain starter, but for some reason he can't see it.

I don't want to hear 'A work in progress' again.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

Even though the results have been better under MM, unfortunately the performances haven’t.

I didn’t think we played particularly well on Tuesday either and we could easily have lost that too!

The new lads who came on 2nd half looked way off the pace and is probably why they didn’t start.

I still, however, cannot understand why this football team of ours cannot pass a bloody football and is so static and one dimensional.

Persistently hoofing the ball 60 yards all through the game when it was obvious to everyone it wasn’t gaining any advantage is just bizarre!

I thought he’d change it 2nd half but it was the 1st thing we did from kick off…unbelievable!

Our desire, work rate, and movement off the ball is non existent and is for me the reason we are still so poor. 
I’ve seen that game today so many times recently and it’s mind numbingly frustrating.

I’m hoping our recent signings will begin to improve us soon because the way we are performing just now will be nowhere near good enough to win the playoffs!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Who was forced into appointing Unsworth? The club could've appointed anyone, and they appointed him. 

They then saw sense and appointed a proper manager 

Not sure what the definition of 'proper manager' is or means to be fair.

44 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Impossible to say if anyone would have been doing a better job but a few obvious progressive ones were Maynard, Parkinson, Williamson 

Unlike the fanboys nonsense, this is actually a reasonable post.

Not seen enough of Parkinson's Altrincham to comment, but Maynard and Williamson got their teams playing very good football at small clubs for this level which has now got the recognition it has deserved with their moves to the EFL.

If we were looking to go down that route then doing so in League Two would make sense, with the way the Rothwell's have been running the club I can't see us being bad enough to go down if we did get up there.  So having a progressive manager trying to implement an expansive style over a longer period would make sense.

In this league and in our current situation however, I can't think of anyone better than Mellon to get us out of the league within the next 18 months.

Singularly, quite a lot of very mediocre players are able to hide in a decent side and get away with it. Unfortunately, over the last 2yrs we have acquired almost a team of mediocrity. 
The clear out at the end of the season can’t come quickly enough. 
Today was pretty much as bad as I’ve seen this season at Boundary Park. 

Edited by mikeroyboy

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Unlike the fanboys nonsense, this is actually a reasonable post.

Not seen enough of Parkinson's Altrincham to comment, but Maynard and Williamson got their teams playing very good football at small clubs for this level which has now got the recognition it has deserved with their moves to the EFL.

If we were looking to go down that route then doing so in League Two would make sense, with the way the Rothwell's have been running the club I can't see us being bad enough to go down if we did get up there.  So having a progressive manager trying to implement an expansive style over a longer period would make sense.

In this league and in our current situation however, I can't think of anyone better than Mellon to get us out of the league within the next 18 months.

With our budget you'd like to think we could have implemented a progressive style and gained 'instant' results though, no?

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Answered this more than once but I would have gone either the Academy route or a Parkinson/Williamson if we could have got them.

Williamson who went to a team battling at the top in the division above? Why would he have been interested?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Mellon should take this share of responsibility for that because tactically he got it wrong, or at least didn’t adapt. 

they deliberately pushed on to stop the outlet of the wing backs which worked well on Tuesday. 

there was no need for 3xCB and he changes he made should have happened a lot sooner, even if pushing McGahey into midfield in the first half if he didn’t want to sub him,  it was obvious what was happening

100% 

We had the warning end of first half when it looked only a matter of time before they scored, to send them out with the same personnel, shape and mindset for the second half was criminal really. What was the expectation in doing that other than the obvious happening?. Weird thought process that was.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Just got home, and there is still steam coming from my ears.

That was bloody awful. As bad as anything in the league for the last 2 seasons.

We made football look like the most difficult game in the world to play, shambolic  doesn't come close. 

Did we have a game plan ?, if we did I have no idea what it was. We kept hoofing it upfield, for it to come straight back at us, and just like lots of other teams this season Woking absolutely passed us to death.

We just don't seem to have any players in our team, who can just pass and go, and have genuine class with the ball at their feet.

I think that double M should take a look at himself regarding the way that we set up. Having Kitching playing pretty much as a winger, and having the nightmare of all nightmares whilst doing so, whilst Walker ? who would have been  far better suited to that role sat in the dugout for most of the game.

Niether could I see any sense in playing Mc ghahe at all.

All in all, the whole team had a shocker.

Man of the match our keeper, just for the save he made when one on one with their striker.

Well done Woking, you were way better than us.

Agree with everything you say. I support Mellon but I thought our starting line up was wrong.

What I can't believe is that after 3 different managers we still are a million miles away from having a midfield.Today was abysmal and Woking out played us.

We don't seem to realise that to create you have to work.We are constantly looking for that quick easy goal. Woking worked really hard and scored a great goal.I believe M.M will get it right but that midfield today was non existent.I took a friend today and he too thought we were shit.

Still we always knew it would take time but we must learn to play before the playoffs.Today was very very poor.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

We passed it more when Fondop went off. I wonder whether that’s because when we’re up against it some of the players take the easier option of hitting it long to him. Or maybe that was Mellon’s instructions. Who knows?

The passes were made by the players who came on

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I'd bet no matter how poor certain players were he will still select them at Ebbsfleet. He seems reluctant to drop his favourites even when they turn in weak performances.

Haven't heard Mellon's interview yet, but I disagree with this bit.

Today was a poor performance and we didn't deserve anything from it.  It was disjointed, but part of the reason it was disjointed was because the players who came on were a jarring change to from the first 60-odd minutes.  It was a change for the better and much needed but still a jarring change.  That said I had no problem with Mellon using the same formation that has brought about 4 league wins in a row before changing it when it didn't work.

I'm interested to see how Mellon will change things for Ebbsfleet though.  Walker, Dallas and Conlon have given us an option to change the way we play that we haven't really had since Mellon took over.  I wouldn't be that surprised if we went 4-2-3-1 with the three of them being in the 3 advanced positions.

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Disappointed with MMs post match interview, blames the players yet attached no blame to himself for the usual hand the initiative to the opposition starting tactic and poor team selection.

Well all the players today palywd well against Barnet a few days ago so why would you change it? They'd also been on a very good run of form, so why would you change it? Why should walker be a certain starter when a team he's joined is on a winning run in the league? 

3 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Agree with everything you say. I support Mellon but I thought our starting line up was wrong.

What I can't believe is that after 3 different managers we still are a million miles away from having a midfield.Today was abysmal and Woking out played us.

We don't seem to realise that to create you have to work.We are constantly looking for that quick easy goal. Woking worked really hard and scored a great goal.I believe M.M will get it right but that midfield today was non existent.I took a friend today and he too thought we were shit.

Still we always knew it would take time but we must learn to play before the playoffs.Today was very very poor.

No midfield? That midfield bossed Barnet for large parts on Tuesday. Shhh

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

With our budget you'd like to think we could have implemented a progressive style and gained 'instant' results though, no?

I think that's extremely rare in general with a big budget team in any league, but with the squad we had when Unsworth left I think it was nigh-on impossible to do so. 

And I'm not completely writing off the squad that we had in the first half of the season, but it is a physical squad of players rather than a particularly technical one. 

A pragmatic manager that Mellon has proven himself to be in his career is the right manager for our situation, because a progressive manager like the ones you've mentioned would need a bigger short-term overhaul than Mellon has had so far to implement the style of play that they have done at their previous clubs.  With no guarantee of success.

Three full games where we've failed to score in open play at BP and not looked like scoring as well, it's a theme at home where players feel like they don't have to work for each other and the results just going to fall in to their laps which clearly it isn't, it's also shit to watch yet we persevere with flat back five and two holding.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I think that's extremely rare in general with a big budget team in any league, but with the squad we had when Unsworth left I think it was nigh-on impossible to do so. 

And I'm not completely writing off the squad that we had in the first half of the season, but it is a physical squad of players rather than a particularly technical one. 

A pragmatic manager that Mellon has proven himself to be in his career is the right manager for our situation, because a progressive manager like the ones you've mentioned would need a bigger short-term overhaul than Mellon has had so far to implement the style of play that they have done at their previous clubs.  With no guarantee of success.

No guarantee of success with anyone but yes, I can completely understand that POV.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Three full games where we've failed to score in open play at BP and not looked like scoring as well, it's a theme at home where players feel like they don't have to work for each other and the results just going to fall in to their laps which clearly it isn't, it's also shit to watch yet we persevere with flat back five and two holding.

It is weird.

I don't buy this "pressure from the crowd" argument either.  I don't think getting on the players' backs is a major thing anymore.  The atmosphere - lead by the Athleticos - is largely positive..

If I was interviewing Mellon I'd ask him why he sets us up at home like we are the away team.

I thought his preferred formation was 4-3-3?

Fondop should be used off the bench at home.

Kitching doesn't look comfortable at wingback, almost ineffective. If Kitching and Sachdev are in there to create in that formation we are fucked.

We've got to change the way we play at home, so many shit teams have played us off the park since Mellon come in it's weird he can do fuck all about it.