Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Derek Adams came to mind but possibly too similar in character to Mellon.

Lot of respect for the job Simon Weaver has done at Harrogate, he would probably be my number one choice.

Don't know enough about the lower leagues to know who is up and coming or who is ready to step out of the academies.

After harping on about us needing a young progressive manager with fresh ideas for the last six months, those are interesting suggestions...

1,500 games managed between them, and one of them's been working in the same job (with his dad as chairman) for 15 years. 

I think I'd be more worried if he tried to dress it up as being better than it is. The first stage of solving a problem is admitting their is a problem he can see what we see he's not blind or stupid.

John Sheridan was hardly inspiring in interviews he was often blunt and to the point and was always very honest if he'd been in charge he'd probably have given the same kind of interview.

A pretty clear message sent to the board to help him shift the deadwood and some of the players not able to get into the team to find new clubs. The likes of Ward Reid and Shelton have been sat on the arse doing rock all for the last 5  months or so find yourself a new club lads it will do knowone any favours sitting around collecting a wage least of all the players themselves find a new club boys it's for the best.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

After harping on about us needing a young progressive manager with fresh ideas for the last six months, those are interesting suggestions...

1,500 games managed between them, and one of them's been working in the same job (with his dad as chairman) for 15 years. 

Adams was one who came to mind as being a realistic option rather than someone who I would want.

Didn't realise Weaver was quite as old as that tbh, thought he was early 40s but he ticks plenty of boxes.

Won't do our fanbase any harm to have expectations dampened a little bit. Boo the players on, off at half time, back on for the 2nd half, and wonder why they don't perform in a (for us) meaningless game? Maybe realising that a bit of patience is needed will make our support a bit less toxic.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think I'd be more worried if he tried to dress it up as being better than it is. The first stage of solving a problem is admitting their is a problem he can see what we see he's not blind or stupid.

John Sheridan was hardly inspiring in interviews he was often blunt and to the point and was always very honest if he'd been in charge he'd probably have given the same kind of interview.

A pretty clear message sent to the board to help him shift the deadwood and some of the players not able to get into the team to find new clubs. The likes of Ward Reid and Shelton have been sat on the arse doing rock all for the last 5  months or so find yourself a new club lads it will do knowone any favours sitting around collecting a wage least of all the players themselves find a new club boys it's for the best.

Only problem with that is this, a couple were due to go out permanently in January for no fee but they couldn't agree wages with their new clubs. Both were offered wages about a third of what we are paying, there is absolutely no chance those Mellon wants out are going anywhere unless the board want to pay out about 500k to get them off the books, it simply isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Adams was one who came to mind as being a realistic option rather than someone who I would want.

Didn't realise Weaver was quite as old as that tbh, thought he was early 40s but he ticks plenty of boxes.

You've been making some sense lately until you put these two forward.

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

Won't do our fanbase any harm to have expectations dampened a little bit. Boo the players on, off at half time, back on for the 2nd half, and wonder why they don't perform in a (for us) meaningless game? Maybe realising that a bit of patience is needed will make our support a bit less toxic.

Don't worry they'll be down to the 3000 crowds again soon enough.

Did the Athleticos have a protest today then?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't worry they'll be down to the 3000 crowds again soon enough.

You sound like BP1960. Most level headed folk can see what Frank and the board are trying to do. We don't have to win every game 3-0 to make progress.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

You sound like BP1960. Most level headed folk can see what Frank and the board are trying to do. We don't have to win every game 3-0 to make progress.

Go on then give us a clue, what's the plan?

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Only problem with that is this, a couple were due to go out permanently in January for no fee but they couldn't agree wages with their new clubs. Both were offered wages about a third of what we are paying, there is absolutely no chance those Mellon wants out are going anywhere unless the board want to pay out about 500k to get them off the books, it simply isn't going to happen.

No it's not going to be easy your right getting them off the books and it won't be as simple as them going somewhereelse for a third of the pay or us paying them up in full. I'm hoping their appetite to move will have changed after 4 months of idle time.

If as in a hypothetical scenario like you suggest we have someone on £900 a week and we have someone come in and offer £300 a week then maybe it would be best if we say you can go we pay them £600 a week for the next 12 months with the proviso that they can't play against us then that might be a deal we have to take save £300 a week and get an unproductive player out the door. It's those types of things we might have to consider.

If you do that for 4 players you can save enough for 1 player who might male a big difference to us.

Edited by GlossopLatic

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Go on then give us a clue, what's the plan?

The plan has effectively gone out of the window as we had planned to be promoted by now is what I am told. You'd have to say that something has to change internally, though because recruitment has been dire. I don't know who does what but perhaps the "4 eyes" rule will be brought in before sanctioning any more silly wages for this level. Like I said, Latics appear to have been well shafted here.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

No it's not going to be easy your right getting them off the books and it won't be as simple as them going somewhereelse for a third of the pay. Although I'm hoping their appetite to move will have changed after 4 months of idle time.

If as in a hypothetical scenario like you suggest we have someone on £900 a week and we have someone come in and offer £300 a week then maybe it would be best if we say you can go we pay them £600 a week for the next 12 months with the proviso that they can't play against us then that might be a deal we have to take save £300 a week and get an unproductive player out the door. It's those types of things we might have to consider.

If you do that for 4 players you can save enough for 1 player who might male a big difference to us.

I'd thought similar but once clubs find out your happy to subsidise they'll all be asking.

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No it's not going to be easy your right getting them off the books and it won't be as simple as them going somewhereelse for a third of the pay or us paying them up in full. I'm hoping their appetite to move will have changed after 4 months of idle time.

I'd insist they play against us, we might have a chance of winning then. 

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Dare I say this but regardless of who is in charge next season we are at the start of a 2 year plan to transform the squad?

Very much so, Glossop.  I've said the same before.  We can't undo the damage in one window due to the contracts situation and budget constraints 

Edited by Boyyou

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Dare I say this but regardless of who is in charge next season we are at the start of a 2 year plan to transform the squad?

Absolutely. 3 more yrs min in this league. Next season will be mid table shite again for sure.

crowds of sub 4K being the norm.

well done Darren and the board. You fucked it. 

Edited by AndyB2

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

Absolutely. 3 more yrs min in this league. Next season will be mid table shite again for sure.

Wouldn't put it quite like that but, with the benefit of hindsight, mistakes have been made. Decisions have undoubtedly been made with the best of intentions but recruitment has been bizarrely unbalanced.

We've let a novice manager run riot in the sweet shop and it will take a strong-willed, experienced  character to tidy up.

8 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Very much so, Glossop.  I've said the same before.  We can't undo the damage in one window due to the contracts situation and budget constraints 

Yes. It doesn't mean that we can't or won't challenge I think we will challenge for promotion next season but interms of getting all the wastage out of the squad and getting it to where we want to be it will take us atleast another 12 months, but I do believe the team we have can and probably will look very different come August it will be unrecognisable by Aug 25.

• Like 1

Just listened to that interview.WOW. Complaining about not having a balanced squad, he has done nothing with his signings to correct those issues. Yes he inherited a load of shit, but his signings have been equally shite. Knackered with biggest squad in the league? In the words of McGahey “fuck off”

15 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Let's just see what happens in the summer first their is a very good chance we could be much stronger come Aug 24 but it will probably take longer to get it to exactly where we want it to be.

Don't write off next season just yet.

Edited by GlossopLatic