MATCH: Southend (H) 02/03/24

Norwood for Fondop

Conlon for McGahey 

Southend's midfield won't be as static as Eastleigh's were for the first 75 minutes on Tuesday. I'm expecting more mellonball and subsequent head scratching at 5pm.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood for Fondop

Conlon for McGahey 

Southend's midfield won't be as static as Eastleigh's were for the first 75 minutes on Tuesday. I'm expecting more mellonball and subsequent head scratching at 5pm.

It's inbuilt, I fear another shite home performance. 

In the playoffs, in arguably the most exciting year at Latics for a long time, yet I'm not looking to tomorrow. I just can't see anything past a poor performance and an away win. God, I wish we would sort this home form out.

42 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood for Fondop

Conlon for McGahey 

Im clinging to the fact that Southend are doing ok and are an ex league club. The ‘we should beat these’ mentality hopefully won’t be as prevalent, and the players might actually put a shift in. 

Afternoon Oldham. It's great to read a decent pre match thread for once. On the Crowther front, he will definitely be playing as he is totally fit and looking more than a bit useful since his signing. How the bloke was stuck in NLN is a total mystery to us . It's Ollie Kensdale that's out as he fractured his cheek bone against Aldershot. Harry Taylor, our other regular CB is also out with a knackered hammy. Despite that our defence is still pretty resilient with our old warhorse, Jason Demitriou still doing his stuff at 37. Harry Cardwell is now back at his best recovering from his last injury and he will probably be partnered by either Danny Waldron or Marcus Dackers. Our away record north of the Watford gap is not all that clever, so tomorrow with be very interesting on the 'who wants it most' front.

For once you have already won one title against us as you bought more of your tribe to Roots Hall than we will probably be bringing to Boundary Park. At the moment our numbers are around the 350 mark, but it could be more by ko. Looking forward to a really entertaining game tomorrow despite the arseholes that masquerade as referees in this league.

Ps - Jack Bridge is on fire at the moment

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood for Fondop

Conlon for McGahey 

I wouldn't change a winning team.

Fondop and Garner have developed a good partnership.  Think it sends a bad message if Norwood just walks straight back in.  Is there enough movement up front playing Garner and Norwood anyway?

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Afternoon Oldham. It's great to read a decent pre match thread for once. On the Crowther front, he will definitely be playing as he is totally fit and looking more than a bit useful since his signing. How the bloke was stuck in NLN is a total mystery to us . It's Ollie Kensdale that's out as he fractured his cheek bone against Aldershot. Harry Taylor, our other regular CB is also out with a knackered hammy. Despite that our defence is still pretty resilient with our old warhorse, Jason Demitriou still doing his stuff at 37. Harry Cardwell is now back at his best recovering from his last injury and he will probably be partnered by either Danny Waldron or Marcus Dackers. Our away record north of the Watford gap is not all that clever, so tomorrow with be very interesting on the 'who wants it most' front.

For once you have already won one title against us as you bought more of your tribe to Roots Hall than we will probably be bringing to Boundary Park. At the moment our numbers are around the 350 mark, but it could be more by ko. Looking forward to a really entertaining game tomorrow despite the arseholes that masquerade as referees in this league.

Safe journey to you all, it would be good to get at least 1 decent ref this season. After 10 minutes we can normally tell if we a gifting you the points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if he will go with Norwood and Garner. Garners for since he came to the club (4 goals in 6 games) surely means he won't be dropped Norwood has been the main man all season so if he's fully fit then I see him going straight back in. Although Ironically Fondop is probably the better foil for both of them Im not sure how well Norwood amd Garner will link up together but will see. We've seen nothing from Dallas yet to suggest he should start just a case if he will be in the 16 or not.

1 hour ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Hoping your boys are now beginning to wind down after a brutal season. You are firmly mid table and don’t look like troubling either end of the table.

on us you will see in the first 5 minutes which Oldham has turned up. 

if you are a pressing team we are in trouble. 

Same line up, dont change a winning side. Hope Green can run Bridge into knackering himself early on. Think the back 3 should have Cardwell covered in the air. It will be a case of breaking down the best defence in the league.

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Hoping your boys are now beginning to wind down after a brutal season. You are firmly mid table and don’t look like troubling either end of the table.

on us you will see in the first 5 minutes which Oldham has turned up. 

if you are a pressing team we are in trouble. 

We've done the wind down bit with 3 loses on the trot, so we're on the upward path again now with 3 wins on the trot. You're right, it's building for the future time now. On the pressing front, it's what we do, but I'm still a bit worried about Mr Norwood. He didn't turn up at Roots Hall but I'm thinking he will be keen to prove a point on Saturday. Similarly Hobbo, if he plays. I loved that bloke in a navy shirt, so honest and more than a bit skilful at times but Danny Waldron will want to continue his progress up front so it won't just be Harry Cardwell asking the questions. Has the makings of a great match.

Edited by Rootshallbloke

2 hours ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Bridge is one I recommended to Oldham when scouting. Well done to him sticking to Southend through the dark days.

We aren't strong at right back, but surely our management will know all about him.

As for Crowther who I recommended to Oldham in 2022 when I saw him play for Kings Lynn I had visions of him eventually playing in the Championship, he has that much potential.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Im clinging to the fact that Southend are doing ok and are an ex league club. The ‘we should beat these’ mentality hopefully won’t be as prevalent, and the players might actually put a shift in. 

This is true. 

Won only 3 Saturday games at BP this season. 

Whilst I recognise the away form, it feels ironic that in the first season for nearly 20 years that we actually pick up a good number of points, most fans will finish the season having witnessed the same number of wins as they did in those frequent 17th place seasons, particularly so given the low numbers we take away due to distances. It’s heartbreaking.

bit like when Liverpool finally won the premier league and no one saw it 

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If all fit, tomorrow I would go with the same starting eleven from Tuesday.

A bench of Norman, Dallas, Sutton, Conlon and Norwood

That's some bench in this division.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Norwood and Garner together, they will gel nicely I have no doubt..

1 hour ago, Rootshallbloke said:

We've done the wind down bit with 3 loses on the trot, so we're on the upward path again now with 3 wins on the trot. You're right, it's building for the future time now. On the pressing front, it's what we do, but I'm still a bit worried about Mr Norwood. He didn't turn up at Roots Hall but I'm thinking he will be keen to prove a point on Saturday. Similarly Hobbo, if he plays. I loved that bloke in a navy shirt, so honest and more than a bit skilful at times but Danny Waldron will want to continue his progress up front so it won't just be Harry Cardwell asking the questions. Has the makings of a great match.

I can’t see Norwood starting only just back from a hamstring injury. Garner bagging plenty for us though. 

5 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I can’t see Norwood starting only just back from a hamstring injury. Garner bagging plenty for us though. 

Norwood is only 1 booking from a 2 match ban, at some point he is going to take a booking, he doesn't want it on the last game of the season if we are going to make the play offs. 

I'm going for 2-2 with a better performance but not the all-out front footer we all are desperate to see at home. Southend will obviously be a tough opponent, given their recent upturn. Norwood, if able, will no doubt slot straight back in, regardless of Fondop's decent spell in his absence.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Bridge is one I recommended to Oldham when scouting. Well done to him sticking to Southend through the dark days.

We aren't strong at right back, but surely our management will know all about him.

As for Crowther who I recommended to Oldham in 2022 when I saw him play for Kings Lynn I had visions of him eventually playing in the Championship, he has that much potential.

Barry Fry (Peterborough), Nigel Clough (Mansfield), and Andy Thassenhaler (Gillingham) were at the Hall for Tuesdays win against Altrincham. We're all hoping it was for their striker Conn-Clarke, and neither Bridgy nor Crowther. They both recently signed contracts so would cost a bit in transfer fees.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Norwood is only 1 booking from a 2 match ban, at some point he is going to take a booking, he doesn't want it on the last game of the season if we are going to make the play offs. 

37 matches is the cut off point in the National League for 10 accumulated bookings  - then it increases to 15 by the end of the season prior to the playoffs.

So if Norwood can behave for the next two games he should be okay…

Edited by TheBigDog

2 hours ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

That's some bench in this division.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Norwood and Garner together, they will gel nicely I have no doubt..

I still have nightmares about seeing Norwood and Garner up front together 4 weeks ago...