MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/04/24

8 hours ago, GKing521 said:

The fact that numerous bin man teams are comfortably above us genuinely makes me feel unwell

I'm sure opposition teams pull off quotes like this to stick on their dressing room door when they come here. It's the only way I can explain them turning into Real Madrid for two hours when they play us at home.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

* Latest from BP is that Micky Mellon has lent his bingo ball machine that he uses for team selection to Darren Royle *

Draw for venue of the rearranged match will take place on The Shay Boating Lake at 12 bells tomorrow, Frank's going to row out to the centre circle to select the ball.

😂 👍

• Matt featured this topic

FCHT supporter here.

We are as livid as you are about the whole issue. We are in a decent position for the play offs, so its not exactly helping us.

The Council owns the stadium and are responsible for the pitch maintenace. Obviously with the rugby club also sharing the Shay, it creates two issues:

a) a rugby game can be played on a pitch which wouldnt be satisfactory for football. I think there have been 3 games so far this rugby season where Halifax RLFC have played on the pitch the day after the football played or were due to play;

b) as its summer rugby, there is only a small window of opportunity during the football off season for any significant pitch maintenance works to be carried out.

Usually, the rugby club will spend maybe 6 weeks during their season playing away to enable works to be done. But due to a lack of council funding, any works carried out over the years has simply been papering over the cracks. This, combined with a very wet winter, has led to the perfect storm which we have seen.

The council have been blamed - not providing enough funding for pitch maintenance. But then you p*** off Calderdale tax payers who have no interest in sport.

Our chairman has been blamed - we've known about the pitch issue for weeks so why werent contingency plans put in place sooner?

The rugby club have been blamed - playing on the pitch when its knackered doesnt help. But the match referee ultimately makes the decision about whether a game goes ahead or not.

Ive no idea what the answer is going to be - especially for where and when our game will be played - and certainly not long-term. But FCHT supporters are definitely not happy about it.

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm sure opposition teams pull off quotes like this to stick on their dressing room door when they come here. It's the only way I can explain them turning into Real Madrid for two hours when they play us at home.

It's a simple instruction on the wall 'Press and run at them - they don't like it'.

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

His post certainly is. Even by his standards, it's as nonsensical as it is doom-ridden.

Yeah,  I was specifically talking about his point regarding Southend. 

We keep hearing that it takes time, mistakes will be made, we can’t expect to much. . despite the club being in a fantastic position for success. And yet they’re working in an absolute shit show. . but have recruited well on a shoe string, have a good manager, and got the most from their tiny squad. What they achieved this season given the circumstances is excellent. 

Meanwhile we are aimlessly throwing money at the wall to see what sticks, and in comparison to them our whole structure of recruitment/getting the best from the players/consistency of performance put us to shame. 

• Like 1

Am I correct in thinking the only day now available is Thursday 18th April , if teams are not to play on consecutive days ?

'Veterans' may recall we were given an extension in 89/90 to the following Monday . Even with this, we had to play Sat Tue Thu Sat Mon.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah,  I was specifically talking about his point regarding Southend. 

We keep hearing that it takes time, mistakes will be made, we can’t expect to much. . despite the club being in a fantastic position for success. And yet they’re working in an absolute shit show. . but have recruited well on a shoe string, have a good manager, and got the most from their tiny squad. What they achieved this season given the circumstances is excellent. 

Meanwhile we are aimlessly throwing money at the wall to see what sticks, and in comparison to them our whole structure of recruitment/getting the best from the players/consistency of performance put us to shame. 

You don't think our board/owners have been working in a shit show, given what they inherited from the Chuckle Brothers?

They got the Unsworth appointment wrong, for which we can probably blame the Royles. They have now gone for an experienced manager, who has so far had just 28 league games - hardly more than half a season with no proper transfer window and a legacy squad that is clearly not one he would have wanted - to show what he can do. We were 22nd in the league when Unsworth left, and plenty on here said Thompson and Redfearn weren't the answer after three poor draws in a row. MM at least threatened to get us into the play-offs, and may still do.

But fine, sack him and let's start all over again next season. I sometimes wonder if as fans we get the performances we deserve.

• Like 3

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

You don't think our board/owners have been working in a shit show, given what they inherited from the Chuckle Brothers?

They got the Unsworth appointment wrong, for which we can probably blame the Royles. They have now gone for an experienced manager, who has so far had just 28 league games - hardly more than half a season with no proper transfer window and a legacy squad that is clearly not one he would have wanted - to show what he can do. We were 22nd in the league when Unsworth left, and plenty on here said Thompson and Redfearn weren't the answer after three poor draws in a row. MM at least threatened to get us into the play-offs, and may still do.

But fine, sack him and let's start all over again next season. I sometimes wonder if as fans we get the performances we deserve.

Poor comparison.  Our owners moved us away from what Southend are still going through. . . 

The equivalent to Southend and Maher would be AL still being here and someone like Pete wild doing great job in horrible circumstances. 

Both our last two managers work for fabulous owners and a settled club. 

On your last paragraph - I wasn’t make a sack him point. Mellon is just a moving part in what has been a poor football operation for two seasons. 

Board decisions. 
Recruitmemt. 
Player performance. 

In my view things are disjointed on the football operation. With lots of contradictions. I hope in the summer there is a big meeting between the family, the board,  Mellon, and senior players to hold each other to account and have some honest conversations about where mistakes have been made. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

As far as I'm concerned, it's do whatever is deemed necessary to get us winning games, especially at home because it's totally unacceptable as things stand.

If Mellon can't do it, then we'll have to eventually find someone who can

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Poor comparison.  Our owners moved us away from what Southend are still going through. . . 

The equivalent to Southend and Maher would be AL still being here and someone like Pete wild doing great job in horrible circumstances. 

Both our last two managers work for fabulous owners and a settled club. 

On your last paragraph - I wasn’t make a sack him point. Mellon is just a moving part in what has been a poor football operation for two seasons. 

Board decisions. 
Recruitmemt. 
Player performance. 

In my view things are disjointed on the football operation. With lots of contradictions. I hope in the summer there is a big meeting between the family, the board,  Mellon, and senior players to hold each other to account and have some honest conversations about where mistakes have been made. 

I wasn't making a comparison - I'm not interested in Southend's situation though I note, as pointed out elsewhere, that they have had the same manager since 2021. Maybe giving a guy a sensible amount of time to build something is an idea.

We are all disappointed in how the season is ending. Very few people questioned player recruitment at the start of the season (under Unsworth) or in January (under Mellon). This is a tough league to get out of, full stop, and patience is required. Moaning about the board/players/manager and talk of pub teams (what are we, then?) gets us nowhere. MM deserves the next season to show what he can do. Results will determine his fate and it's futile speculating about whether we have a poor or disjointed football operation - which of us knows the intricate details of how other clubs are organised? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I wasn't making a comparison - I'm not interested in Southend's situation though I note, as pointed out elsewhere, that they have had the same manager since 2021. Maybe giving a guy a sensible amount of time to build something is an idea.

We are all disappointed in how the season is ending. Very few people questioned player recruitment at the start of the season (under Unsworth) or in January (under Mellon). This is a tough league to get out of, full stop, and patience is required. Moaning about the board/players/manager and talk of pub teams (what are we, then?) gets us nowhere. MM deserves the next season to show what he can do. Results will determine his fate and it's futile speculating about whether we have a poor or disjointed football operation - which of us knows the intricate details of how other clubs are organised? 

No good being envious of lesser clubs and their ability to outplay us

Time to fight fire with fire and try an emulate what they're doing or we'll be stuck down here forever 

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I wasn't making a comparison - I'm not interested in Southend's situation though

😂

I was talking about Southend- and how they done well in difficult circumstances, and how we have done poorly in good circumstances. You then said ‘you don’t think our board had it shit with the chuckle brothers’ if that isn’t comparing then what it is? If you’re not interested in Southend, and what can be achieved on a fraction of what we have- just ignore my post?

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Maybe giving a guy a sensible amount of time to build something is an idea.

You say this. 

11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Results will determine his fate

Then this. (Which I agree with) 

No manager can build anything if results don’t meet expectation. He has said himself his target was the playoffs. He hasn’t don’t it. So far he’s failed- he might yet come good. Let’s hope so. 

15 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Very few people questioned player recruitment at the start of the season (under Unsworth) or in January (under Mellon).

Eh? It was all we talked about. 

Unsworth -

Why no right back. 
Why no cover for Kitch.

Why no wide players other than green. 
Why do we keep signing strikers when we are short in midfield. 
Do we need 6 centre backs.

Mellon. 

Why no cover for Kitch. 
Why no wide players. 
Why sign a rwb for 3-5-2 then say he doesn’t have a right back. 
Why did we sign Garner

You may agree or disagree with the above but plenty were questioning the at times nonsensical recruitment decisions. 

22 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is a tough league to get out of, full stop, and patience is required.

I’m very fair in my expectations- 7th this season without promotion was solid progress. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or being impatient. 

12th to 10th is not solid progress, it’s treading water for a club with our budget. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

I was talking about Southend- and how they done well in difficult circumstances, and how we have done poorly in good circumstances. You then said ‘you don’t think our board had it shit with the chuckle brothers’ if that isn’t comparing then what it is? If you’re not interested in Southend, and what can be achieved on a fraction of what we have- just ignore my post?

You say this. 

Then this. (Which I agree with) 

No manager can build anything if results don’t meet expectation. He has said himself his target was the playoffs. He hasn’t don’t it. So far he’s failed- he might yet come good. Let’s hope so. 

Eh? It was all we talked about. 

Unsworth -

Why no right back. 
Why no cover for Kitch.

Why no wide players other than green. 
Why do we keep signing strikers when we are short in midfield. 
Do we need 6 centre backs.

Mellon. 

Why no cover for Kitch. 
Why no wide players. 
Why sign a rwb for 3-5-2 then say he doesn’t have a right back. 
Why did we sign Garner

You may agree or disagree with the above but plenty were questioning the at times nonsensical recruitment decisions. 

I’m very fair in my expectations- 7th this season without promotion was solid progress. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or being impatient. 

12th to 10th is not solid progress, it’s treading water for a club with our budget. 

Spot on 👍

1 hour ago, stargazer said:

Am I correct in thinking the only day now available is Thursday 18th April , if teams are not to play on consecutive days ?

'Veterans' may recall we were given an extension in 89/90 to the following Monday . Even with this, we had to play Sat Tue Thu Sat Mon.

Given the play off dates you'd be struggling to extend the season unless the league move those.

Gateshead still have 5 games to play by a week Saturday as it stands.

🏟️ FIXTURE NEWS |

Following recent issues with the pitch at the Shay, the difficult decision has been made to play our fixture on Saturday 13th - 3pm against @BarnetFC and Tuesday 16th - 7.45pm against @EUFCofficial at Accrington Stanley's Wham Stadium.

We understand the frustration recent postponements have caused and we would like to thank @ASFCofficial for helping us to fulfil these two fixtures.

Season tickets will be valid as usual and for other home and away supporters it is still pay on the gate.

We’ll also confirm stand arrangements on Thursday & issue a ground guide.

There will be a further announcement regarding the Oldham Athletic fixture and ticket collections for that game once everything has been confirmed & resolved.

#Shaymen | LD

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I think you would agree that we do have some knuckle draggers we could without. 

Exsctly I don’t blame them.

However I reckon it will be at the shay. Pitch will be ready with favourable weather. They will want the money especially if they are paying to go to Accrington 

Just now, BradKnowles1 said:

Exsctly I don’t blame them.

However I reckon it will be at the shay. Pitch will be ready with favourable weather. They will want the money especially if they are paying to go to Accrington 

Totally agree, they would be well advised to satisfy an extra 1800 paying customers, as well as the fact we are allocated the 1 stand. 

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Looks like no police force wants to host us 

Will it be us specifically or just the pure numbers? Barnet and Ebbsfleet will be much lower numbers. With our game it’ll be an extra 1500 at least to police. 

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Looks like no police force wants to host us 

Halifax probably realised they can only host one match on the swamp and would rather it was Oldham with 1800 fans rather than Ebbsfleet or Barnet with 180. No rugby this weekend so groundsman got 8 days to get it to some sort of state (presuming the match fits into the only realistic slot of next Thursday).