MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/04/24

12 minutes ago, NotPaulScholes said:

Halifax probably realised they can only host one match on the swamp and would rather it was Oldham with 1800 fans rather than Ebbsfleet or Barnet with 180. No rugby this weekend so groundsman got 8 days to get it to some sort of state (presuming the match fits into the only realistic slot of next Thursday).

Playing next Thursday will be a punishment for us as well, why should we have to play 2 games in less than 48hrs because of Halifax’s farmers field!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stargazer said:

Am I correct in thinking the only day now available is Thursday 18th April , if teams are not to play on consecutive days ?

'Veterans' may recall we were given an extension in 89/90 to the following Monday . Even with this, we had to play Sat Tue Thu Sat Mon.

Sun Tue Thurs Sat  Mon

5 games in 9 days.

And our pitch managed 2 games in 3 days. 😉

2 minutes ago, astottie said:

Sun Tue Thurs Sat  Mon

5 games in 9 days.

And our pitch managed 2 games in 3 days. 😉

Our pitch cost a million quid of taxpayers money though. 
Getting it in there before Sinnott gets in there.

10 minutes ago, Oafc11 said:

Playing next Thursday will be a punishment for us as well, why should we have to play 2 games in less than 48hrs because of Halifax’s farmers field!! 

Yeah seems massively unfair on us. We could have had a lot riding on that game (might still I guess!) but get left with just 38 hours between matches. 

Just now, nzlatic said:

Yeah seems massively unfair on us. We could have had a lot riding on that game (might still I guess!) but get left with just 38 hours between matches. 

We could have 38 days and still not be ready!😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

😂

I was talking about Southend- and how they done well in difficult circumstances, and how we have done poorly in good circumstances. You then said ‘you don’t think our board had it shit with the chuckle brothers’ if that isn’t comparing then what it is? If you’re not interested in Southend, and what can be achieved on a fraction of what we have- just ignore my post?

You say this. 

Then this. (Which I agree with) 

No manager can build anything if results don’t meet expectation. He has said himself his target was the playoffs. He hasn’t don’t it. So far he’s failed- he might yet come good. Let’s hope so. 

Eh? It was all we talked about. 

Unsworth -

Why no right back. 
Why no cover for Kitch.

Why no wide players other than green. 
Why do we keep signing strikers when we are short in midfield. 
Do we need 6 centre backs.

Mellon. 

Why no cover for Kitch. 
Why no wide players. 
Why sign a rwb for 3-5-2 then say he doesn’t have a right back. 
Why did we sign Garner

You may agree or disagree with the above but plenty were questioning the at times nonsensical recruitment decisions. 

I’m very fair in my expectations- 7th this season without promotion was solid progress. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or being impatient. 

12th to 10th is not solid progress, it’s treading water for a club with our budget. 

You're clearly not listening, so I'll make this my last word on the matter. As an aside, I've noticed that you sometimes forensically dissect posts in an attempt to trip people up, claiming that they are contradicting themselves, when often they are not. If that floats your boat, so be it, but life's too short.

You keep saying that we are "in good circumstances" or a variant thereof. Anyone would think we'd been transformed overnight from 30 years of being a mis-managed basket case to a model club, which should be doing much better on the pitch. We are at the very beginning of a long road to recovery under beneficent owners who are new to football and who will not get everything right but are hopefully learning as they go along. They were left with very little to work with by the previous regime and then made the well-intentioned mistake of sticking with a rookie manager for longer than they should. Now, Mellon has to pick up the pieces and after just 28 games people are moaning that he can't get us promotion and has to go. It's ridiculous. I repeat, patience is needed. That was the point I was making, in response to your facile "Southend terrible setup, Oldham model setup" comparison. You were happy to go along with MM as we rose up the table and got as high as 5th, and now, when it looks like the playoff push may be over, you seem to want to chuck your toys out of the pram and condemn him for "treading water" - fine, but I'll be more tolerant and wait to see what he achieves next season.

On player recruitment, most if not all of the players signed at the start of the season and in January were praised as good signings by many on here. If you in your infinite wisdom saw through this recruitment as haphazard and scattergun at the time, it's not a recollection I have. I am happy to give MM a full summer window, and hope he won't be too restricted by the deadweight he inherited. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Oafc11 said:

Absolutely. I'm praying it keeps raining then they'll have to give us the points.Rain forecast tonight, Sat  and Tuesday in halifax+ 2 games on that paddy field.as well.

Ain't gonna happen for us to play them at theirs next Thursday I.M.O.

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah,  I was specifically talking about his point regarding Southend. 

We keep hearing that it takes time, mistakes will be made, we can’t expect to much. . despite the club being in a fantastic position for success. And yet they’re working in an absolute shit show. . but have recruited well on a shoe string, have a good manager, and got the most from their tiny squad. What they achieved this season given the circumstances is excellent. 

Meanwhile we are aimlessly throwing money at the wall to see what sticks, and in comparison to them our whole structure of recruitment/getting the best from the players/consistency of performance put us to shame. 

I make you right about what they have achieved. They had barely enough players to fill the bench for the first three or four months of the season. Their recruitment  - when they were finally allowed to do some - has been very good. 

The big challenge for the new consortium there will be keeping Maher. I'm sure plenty of clubs will be looking at him with covetous eyes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You're clearly not listening,

Give over.  I’m challenging your point- on a football forum. 

34 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

As an aside, I've noticed that you sometimes forensically dissect posts in an attempt to trip people up, claiming that they are contradicting themselves, when often they are not. If that floats your boat, so be it, but life's too short.

I have no interest in winding you or anyone up, or tripping people up. That would be sad. I do enjoy talking Latics and I come back to what people type - it’s called debate, and if you read my last post I agreed with you on a couple of points. When I didn’t agree, I said why. 

44 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Anyone would think we'd been transformed overnight from 30 years of being a mis-managed basket case to a model club, which should be doing much better on the pitch. We are at the very beginning of a long road to recovery under beneficent owners who are new to football and who will not get everything right but are hopefully learning as they go along.

Fine. I think we should be further along in lots of different ways on the football side by now,  but we’ll agree to disagree. 

47 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You were happy to go along with MM as we rose up the table and got as high as 5th, and now, when it looks like the playoff push may be over, you seem to want to chuck your toys out of the pram and condemn him for "treading water" - fine, but I'll be more tolerant and wait to see what he achieves next season.

Nope. What I do is follow results, and when we’re winning- I’m delighted. I even defend poor football and very poor home form if overall he’s doing well- which he was. When we can’t buy a win I start to question why- which is completely normal.

Did you actually read my last post? 

I specifically said - this isn’t a sack Mellon thing. I haven’t ‘condemned him’ or thrown my toys out about him for treading water. I said it’s a reflection on what I see as a poor football operation and Mellon is only a part of that. I then went onto say I hope they have a meeting in the summer to clear the air or reset. 

55 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

If you in your infinite wisdom

Never claimed to be wise, nor trying to be clever, that’s a cheap shot. I think recruitment has been largely poor since they came in, you don’t. Fine. 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

I am happy to give MM a full summer window, and hope he won't be too restricted by the deadweight he inherited. 

Agreed, and I do think he will be restricted by what has been a poor football operation. Hopefully he can wheel and deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

It's a bloody shambles. Almost as if scheduling a 46-game season to finish in mid-April wasn't a terribly sensible idea... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

It's a bloody shambles. Almost as if scheduling a 46-game season to finish in mid-April wasn't a terribly sensible idea... 

Yet early season in usually decent weather it's one match a week.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I've just read on Twitter that Halifax have moved their home games on Saturday and Tuesday to Accrington. Has anyone else seen that?

Yep. 

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It's on their official Web site as well.I think it's disgusting that they haven't announced our match arrangements yet.

Either WE are being awkward or they hope to play us at their ground after it dries out a bit. But having seen how bad it was and the fact that more rain is forecast I suspect they'll have to play us elsewhere as well.Whatever it's a shambles.

7 hours ago, diggleblue said:

It's on their official Web site as well.I think it's disgusting that they haven't announced our match arrangements yet.

Either WE are being awkward or they hope to play us at their ground after it dries out a bit. But having seen how bad it was and the fact that more rain is forecast I suspect they'll have to play us elsewhere as well.Whatever it's a shambles.

Lancs Police wouldn't agree to us playing at Accrington. Accrington had agreed to all 3 Halifax matches to take place there - Police refused. Our away following for the game is what is complicating things...

I'm wondering if they are now hedging their bets and waiting until the outcome of Saturdays games? A loss for us and a win for either Aldershot or Halifax (potentially both) finishes our season, i think without checking the table, so would imagine that would dampen any potential big/rowdy following we might take. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yet early season in usually decent weather it's one match a week.

Exactly. In my head the season should finish the first Saturday in May, it's now finished mid-April.

So squeeze a couple more night matches in early doors. It would help a lot by the end of the season.

Let's see next season if the NL learn from the mistakes from this season.

19 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Exactly. In my head the season should finish the first Saturday in May, it's now finished mid-April.

So squeeze a couple more night matches in early doors. It would help a lot by the end of the season.

Let's see next season if the NL learn from the mistakes from this season.

How many teams does the team who finish 7th have to play if they reach the play-off final?

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

How many teams does the team who finish 7th have to play if they reach the play-off final?

3 including the final. All away.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And a week between them all?

No, first one is midweek after the season finishes on 20th, then the 27th and then final the week after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Oafc11 said:

It should either be arranged for Wednesday 17th, or just give us the 3 points!

🙃

• Like 1

It gets worse for Halifax's pitch.

Halifax Panthers play on it up to June 1st and then resume on June 30th. That is nowhere near enough time to renovate a pitch, let alone one that is in crisis.

Our pitch, which is in good order, sees the rugby vacate it between May 5th and June 26th. Not great for them short term, but a much more sensible schedule for the long term health of the turf.