The Pitch

Heard that Lemsagam is after hiring use of City’s Academy complex for our training use as of next season. Apparently his opinion is why have someone constantly trying to upkeep our training pitch and struggling in the winter months when you’ve got some of the best in the world within 6 miles... 

Seems sensible to me.

Edited by MAC0AFC
  • Like 2

To who's benefit would be to sort the pitch out?

This season and at this stage of the season in the previous few years we tend to start winning when the pitch is as it is.  Unless we start playing like (and getting results like..) Barcelona it's of only really benefit to the opposition and why would we want to help them out?  The club's Golden years were played on a surface that the opposition hated.  It's also not like 3,000 extra people are going to come flooding through the gate just because the pitch is sorted.

I say spend the money on putting a roof and a few TVs showing Sky Sports on the back of the Jimmy Frizzell stand instead..

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

This season and at this stage of the season in the previous few years we tend to start winning when the pitch is as it is.  Unless we start playing like (and getting results like..) Barcelona it's of only really benefit to the opposition and why would we want to help them out?  The club's Golden years were played on a surface that the opposition hated.  It's also not like 3,000 extra people are going to come flooding through the gate just because the pitch is sorted.

I say spend the money on putting a roof and a few TVs showing Sky Sports on the back of the Jimmy Frizzell stand instead..

Cannot agree with this. Wellens has stated that he wants to play more attractive/expansive football but the pitch works against this. We are looking to bring in better footballers so that our team is more than a match for the better teams in this division. 

If we have the ambition to improve our squad and play then surely it makes sense to improve the playing surface accordingly? 

If the pitch remains the same then we are handing the initiative to the poorer teams.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

We don't need to play like Barcelona, we need to compete with the likes of Scunthorpe. Playing attractive football on a carpet versus slogging out results on a quagmire ?. Even if we ultimately get the same number of points, the fans will benefit from the quality of football. Easier for Richie to attract better players and increase the crowds.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

And yet our run of really good results was on a good pitch, playing good football. Our deterioration in results coincided with the worsening pitches. Wellens had to adapt accordingly, which took time. 

If Richie can get us playing expansive, attractive and winning football on a velvet surface, then I'm all for it.

However, the reality is that this division is a slog - we haven't got the money of Wigan or Blackburn say, but Shrewsbury are near the top because they've ground out results, like we tend to do when we're playing on this pitch.  I think it's more of a problem for the opposition..

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Richie can get us playing expansive, attractive and winning football on a velvet surface, then I'm all for it.

However, the reality is that this division is a slog - we haven't got the money of Wigan or Blackburn say, but Shrewsbury are near the top because they've ground out results, like we tend to do when we're playing on this pitch.  I think it's more of a problem for the opposition..

What's Guy Branston up to these days?

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Rochdale's relayed pitch has cost £500,000..cup money used.

Exactly. It would be silly to relay the pitch now when 1. We’ve adapted to playing on it and are winning on it. 2. It would still need a lot more work at the end of the season as a relay wouldn’t be enough. 

12 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

Heard that Lemsagam is after hiring use of City’s Academy complex for our training use as of next season. Apparently his opinion is why have someone constantly trying to upkeep our training pitch and struggling in the winter months when you’ve got some of the best in the world within 6 miles... 

Seems sensible to me.

It's no use training on pristine pitches and then being unable to cope with L1 pitches. The advantage for us would be if our pitch was also pristine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Shrewsbury's budget is much bigger than ours was because they get a lot of income from their stadium, and bigger crowds (no-one would have thought that years ago). If I remember rightly their chairman said that the stadium brought in around £700,000 a year. 

6 minutes ago, al_bro said:

It's no use training on pristine pitches and then being unable to cope with L1 pitches. The advantage for us would be if our pitch was also pristine.

Whos to say he isn’t planning on hiring City’s facilities in tandem with a new playing surface for us... if he is investigating the City option (and we don’t know for sure he is) then he clearly sees the importance of facilities and would be mad not to see a huge part of that is the bit they play on every couple of weeks 

Edited by Buckshawlatic

17 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Shrewsbury's budget is much bigger than ours was because they get a lot of income from their stadium, and bigger crowds (no-one would have thought that years ago). If I remember rightly their chairman said that the stadium brought in around £700,000 a year. 

Yes it is much bigger than ours. Sure I read on their forum last year or the year before that they had a top ten budget and they didn’t think Mellon was using it wisely.  They’ve also received decent fees for some of their youngsters over the past few seasons.

Edited by johnafoafc

I want to watch good football on a good pitch. I’m all for the new 3G pitches and are surely the way forward for lower league clubs. 

Our most successful and most enjoyable period watching this team was on a consistent bowling green of a pitch. It wasn’t to everybody’s preference but I can’t understand anyone wanting to watch league hoofball on a ploughed field!!

If Richie wants to play the passing game then I say get the pitch sorted and bring it on!!

47 minutes ago, al_bro said:

iirc didnt our plastic  carpet bring in similar amounts for us ? 

47 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Whos to say he isn’t planning on hiring City’s facilities in tandem with a new playing surface for us... if he is investigating the City option (and we don’t know for sure he is) then he clearly sees the importance of facilities and would be mad not to see a huge part of that is the bit they play on every couple of weeks 

That's what I meant in a roundabout way. If our pitch is sorted with a new Dessa then using City's facilities would be an advantage to us.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Rochdale's relayed pitch has cost £500,000..cup money used.

Exactly one year ago the Dale players had a training session on their new pitch.  A few weeks later a home game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.  

Fast forward just 12 months and this week they have to lay a new pitch again.... that is some rank mismanagement and a hell of a waste of money.  The cup run has been for a net result of nothing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

I’m sure they would. Point still stands. 

Of course it does but I like to believe the results would come on a decent pitch, too.
We most probably will not find out this season.
Hopefully the pitch will get re-laid come the summer.