The Pitch

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Unfair unless you know what equipment or funds they have available.

Boiling water kills grass. That was the groundsmans idea.

The groundsman would not be responsible for sanctioning the hiring of such equipment. Responsibility for not doing that sits with those above. We'll be more out of pocket not getting the game on.

Just now, Clifford said:

The groundsman would not be responsible for sanctioning the hiring of such equipment. Responsibility for not doing that sits with those above. We'll be more out of pocket not getting the game on.

Ye I reckon they know it damages the grass and that's why they said they didn't want to do it but did it as they wanted to make every attempt to get the game on

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Communication hasn't improved, does the club have a fans liaison officer?

AL needs to improved the directorship of this club.

They've got 3, 2 of which with interest for particular groups (disabled and AN Other). Think they are actively looking for one for women. 

Makes a big difference from having someone who does another job at the club doing it. 

7 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Seeing as there were apparently dozens of local pub team pitches/cricket pitches/people’s gardens that were all perfectly playable yesterday, going off this thread, we should just ask them what equipment they used during the week to protect against the frost. 

one suspects good old fashioned sunshine as doubt many of those clubs and parks suffer from having a stand that leaves a section of  there pitch in permanent shadow 

i wonder had the game gone ahead and bryne or another of the key players had picked up an injury on that section of the pitch how many would be howling that the game should never of gone ahead 

6 hours ago, Clifford said:

they may struggle to hire such equipment having on previous occasions failed to honour an invoice for rental untill legal proceedings were instigated leading to a marked reluctance to allow repeat hires this was from the manager of the local franchise himself 

On 24/02/2018 at 11:33 PM, lookersman said:

....  pouring boiling water on grass will kill it not a good idea 

I doubt it was boiling by the time it was poured on from the watering cans,  probably why it didn't defrost the ground.

Even warm water would be a shock to the grass roots though.

7 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

I doubt it was boiling by the time it was poured on from the watering cans,  probably why it didn't defrost the ground.

Even warm water would be a shock to the grass roots though.

If the warm water had really reached the roots the ground would have defrosted - which it didn't. Though I am sure the above ground grass would have been damaged by the hot water the roots should be ok long term assuming the weeks of frost had not first affected them.

26 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

If the warm water had really reached the roots the ground would have defrosted - which it didn't. Though I am sure the above ground grass would have been damaged by the hot water the roots should be ok long term assuming the weeks of frost had not first affected them.

Thank you Dan Gardner..... 

15 hours ago, Wardie said:

With the omens of bad weather hitting the country this week, there is a good chance of more games being postponed this coming weekend.

Are Latics the first English club to enjoy a prolonged winter break?

I've not been to even a quarter of the football grounds in the country but I have seen at least half on tv and they all have one thing in common - STANDS.  These in every case must put part of the pitch in shade for most of the coldest months of the year yet Oldham was the only game called off.  That is why I'm a little pissed off and surely this will have cost OAFC thousands of pounds.  Having said that AL is not to blame and might think it worthwhile to find a solution for next season.

Incidentally it rather looks like there will be any number of frozen pitches this weekend so Scunny now looks doubtful - it is going to be a lot colder over that side of the country.  No doubt also Ice Station Zebra will have perma frost by the weekend and with frosts forecast next week it is a good thing our next home game is the Tuesday 17th as it might have thawed out by then.

25 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I've not been to even a quarter of the football grounds in the country but I have seen at least half on tv and they all have one thing in common - STANDS.  These in every case must put part of the pitch in shade for most of the coldest months of the year yet Oldham was the only game called off.  That is why I'm a little pissed off and surely this will have cost OAFC thousands of pounds.  Having said that AL is not to blame and might think it worthwhile to find a solution for next season.

Incidentally it rather looks like there will be any number of frozen pitches this weekend so Scunny now looks doubtful - it is going to be a lot colder over that side of the country.  No doubt also Ice Station Zebra will have perma frost by the weekend and with frosts forecast next week it is a good thing our next home game is the Tuesday 17th as it might have thawed out by then.

New main stand with retractable roof?