The Pitch

The ref says the ground staff didn't want to put boiling water on because it will ruin that section of the pitch and will cause problems in the weeks to come, but they did it any way in an attempt to get the game on.

This can't do us much good, it's ok to have a week off, but two and the players will get rusty. The only advantage is it gives us time to get niggly injuries rested. 

Just now, oafc21 said:

Clayton playing fields all fixtures was played, as was my lads game in bury at 9-00 this morning, fecking pub league our lot!!

And if a third of our pitch wasn't in the shadow of the main stand, ours would have been played as well. The referee himself said that the rest of the pitch was 100% playable.

Headline:

League 1 football club in "Sun Not In The Right Place Shocker"

The problem is obvious. The daft buggers who built the ground over 100 years ago built the main stand too high and in the wrong place. We should sue them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

And if a third of our pitch wasn't in the shadow of the main stand, ours would have been played as well. The referee himself said that the rest of the pitch was 100% playable.

Headline:

League 1 football club in "Sun Not In The Right Place Shocker"

The problem is obvious. The daft buggers who built the ground over 100 years ago built the main stand too high and in the wrong place. We should sue them.

I was at b&q this morning at 11 o’clock and saw two clowns with Oldham official gear on carrying about 8 gardening watering cans laughing, little did I know it was for waterering the pitch!! Why not hire a dozen industrial hot air blowers from hire equip or speedy hire for pittence!! As I said not even Sunday league 

Well all know the problem with the main stand shadow, the big problem is the club are doing nothing about it.

It's the same problem over & over again when the temperatures drop.

The weather forecasts are more detailed these days and with the notice they get there is no excuse for this type of postponement.

How many more before somebody has the nous to do something constructive instead of just throwing the covers on & hoping that area defrosts before kick off because the temperature will be 5° by then.

Just confirms that we are still very amateurish in certain areas.

Are we the only club in the land with a Main Stand shadow? If its persistently a problem then surely we could of worked something out by now? Main problem I have is the club failing to announce there may be an issue before the match was postponed at gone 12, from what I've heard they could of given at least another hour or twos notice that getting the game on would be a struggle.

Its kind of unbelievable that the part of the cricket ground which is permanently in shadow at this time of the year in Uppermill is playable, inspection by me with my dogs, but that part of the pitch of a professional football club in Oldham in shade is not.  What a surprise it must have been for all concerned!

6 minutes ago, lookersman said:

did the protection matting go down ?? everyone knew this frost was coming ????

Yes, on Thursday, but when it was lifted on Saturday morning, the pitch in the shade was frozen solid. They do say that frost cover only protects to -3 and it was apparently colder than that overnight at BP.

6 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Exactly, not the first time the club have been caught out because the covers are inadequate.

The covers only keep heat in. 3 days without it breaking freezing point in the day and minus lots at night and there isn't any heat to keep. I don't know the numbers but i suspect  just isn't worth throwing money on hire equipment for a regular game. Of all the things the club have done wrong for a century and more, it being too cold once in a while at the place we call Ice Station Zebra and take pride in being the coldest ground in the country shouldn't be one of them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leeslover said:

The covers only keep heat in. 3 days without it breaking freezing point in the day and minus lots at night and there isn't any heat to keep. I don't know the numbers but i suspect  just isn't worth throwing money on hire equipment for a regular game. Of all the things the club have done wrong for a century and more, it being too cold once in a while at the place we call Ice Station Zebra and take pride in being the coldest ground in the country shouldn't be one of them.

I appreciate all that and wasn’t having a cheap pop at the club, well that wasn’t my intention. Nor do I expect them to shell out thousands of pounds on heaters etc when there’s no guarantee it’d work. Was just pointing out that the covers regularly fail to do their job. Although they did work for the Northampton game.

Seeing as there were apparently dozens of local pub team pitches/cricket pitches/people’s gardens that were all perfectly playable yesterday, going off this thread, we should just ask them what equipment they used during the week to protect against the frost. 

Following on from my previous facetious post, have seen a suggestion on Twitter that seems to make a lot of sense... undersoil heating just for the area in shadow. May be a cost effective solution to the specific problem we have if doing the whole pitch is too expensive. 

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Are we the only club in the land with a Main Stand shadow? If its persistently a problem then surely we could of worked something out by now? Main problem I have is the club failing to announce there may be an issue before the match was postponed at gone 12, from what I've heard they could of given at least another hour or twos notice that getting the game on would be a struggle.

Communication hasn't improved, does the club have a fans liaison officer?

AL needs to improved the directorship of this club.

Edited by BP1960

5 hours ago, rodger er said:

Chadderton Fc reserves was at home at Andrew St near broadway Asda, about 500 mtrs down the road,, who’ve had drainage problems for years, till the council sorted it out pre season nowt wrong with the pitch?

Their pitch is in much better nick, they play both first team football and reserve team football on the pitch and its looked after by volunteers, I wish our fans would stop making excuses for the piss poor way our club is run, watering a pitch with boiling water is fucking stupid, pulling the covers off on a Saturday morning, hoping for the best and realising the pitch is solid is also fucking stupid, I understand these issues are symptoms of the previous owners austerity but there is no denying its both embarrassing and unprofessional.

I am certain the cost of hiring some heaters would be less than the cost of cancellation. Food, staff, lower gate for rearranged game and no doubt expenses back to Southend. Poor.

Boiling water on the pitch shows the level of staff we have employed. Still not gotten over seeing the groundsman pour sand all over the middle of the pitch pre Millwall getting called off a few years back. Killed that area for the season.