Cambridge (A)

Ideally Mo will pick the same team, partly for continuity purposes because the XI worked well as a defensive unit, but also because the front 4 will get more joy on the counter attack in this game.

All things being equal I'd have either Hamer or Stott starting alongside Wheater with Mills in at right back, but the back 5 that kept a clean sheet should get another go.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but in what way did they defend well?  It was the failure of Exeter to hit the target rather than anything approaching good defending.  We lacked shape, couldn't tackle or pass the ball.

This is not just my assessment but the assessment of a number of people I have spoken to who attended the game.  I have yet to meet anyone who has anything other than it was an improvement from really awful to poor.

I shall keep looking for a positive report.  I would like nothing more than to wrong.  No doubt we will take our new found defensive strength and get another nil nil draw at Cambridge.

11 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Sorry but in what way did they defend well?  It was the failure of Exeter to hit the target rather than anything approaching good defending.  We lacked shape, couldn't tackle or pass the ball.

This is not just my assessment but the assessment of a number of people I have spoken to who attended the game.  I have yet to meet anyone who has anything other than it was an improvement from really awful to poor.

I shall keep looking for a positive report.  I would like nothing more than to wrong.  No doubt we will take our new found defensive strength and get another nil nil draw at Cambridge.

It was clearly a massive improvement on Bradford. Exeter got in a couple of times but it was far from ‘poor’. I feel like the negativity surrounding the club is affecting some people’s judgement

Personally I’d like to see Desire have some support up top and go 4-4-2, but I can’t see it happening with this bloke in charge 

Can see another 0-0 coming tbh

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

I think we have all seen worse than the Exeter performance so there is hope of improvement. Incidentally, Cambridge have  some injuries to key players so maybe this is a chance for a first win. 

1 minute ago, ddot_m said:

I have seen worse than the Exeter performance, the wife took me to

watch Matthew Bourne’s “Swan Lake“ and to be honest I’m not a fan of homoerotic ballet.

“Black Swan” is also about Ballet but I’d recommend it a lot more 

4 minutes ago, ddot_m said:

I have seen worse than the Exeter performance, the wife took me to

watch Matthew Bourne’s “Swan Lake“ and to be honest I’m not a fan of homoerotic ballet.

Did he tweet any bullshit about Latics during the performance? 

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s a bit sad when we seem to be

revelling in placing favourable bets against our own team😒

Isnt it? You know what caused that though? Us being predictably shit! And the desire to create win-win situations. Fuck off Shuck. 

11 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Ideally Mo will pick the same team, partly for continuity purposes because the XI worked well as a defensive unit, but also because the front 4 will get more joy on the counter attack in this game.

All things being equal I'd have either Hamer or Stott starting alongside Wheater with Mills in at right back, but the back 5 that kept a clean sheet should get another go.

Play like we did against Exeter and i dont think we will be far off...You can only grow in confidence after a clean sheet.

10 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It was clearly a massive improvement on Bradford. Exeter got in a couple of times but it was far from ‘poor’. I feel like the negativity surrounding the club is affecting some people’s judgement

Personally I’d like to see Desire have some support up top and go 4-4-2, but I can’t see it happening with this bloke in charge 

Can see another 0-0 coming tbh

it was certainly a step in the right direction.. i get that our coach is wanting to play a counter attack game, build from the back amd hit on the counter.. 

11 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think it's more a case of people's expectations being so low that they'll take any crumb of positivity...

We scraped a draw at home against Exeter and are off the mark points-wise. Other than that, I'm not sure there was too much to be excited about.

39 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Play like we did against Exeter and i dont think we will be far off...You can only grow in confidence after a clean sheet.

We were shit

It was a battling shit, but shit nonetheless

Play like that for the rest of the season and we will go down.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I think it's more a case of people's expectations being so low that they'll take any crumb of positivity...

We scraped a draw at home against Exeter and are off the mark points-wise. Other than that, I'm not sure there was too much to be excited about.

Can't disagree with that.

The main reason that I think we should keep the same defensive unit is that there's no other back line that we could pick that would be worth unsettling the rest of the team for.  Definitely a case of it being the least-worst option though.

13 hours ago, Hands on said:

We defended reasonably well, yes... hence two defensive players being in the league 2 team of the week.  

Exeter have managed an average of 11 shots in the league so far.  They managed 13 against us, 11 against Swindon.

Exeter have had an average of 14 shots against, we also managed 14 against them.

Yes, if both teams could finish it could have been a different result, but that cuts both ways.

Your assessment is overly pessimistic.

19 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Once again people harping on about the performance against Exeter as though it was decent.

A superb 0-0 at home to Exeter.

Not even close.

We are shit.

Tuesday was marginally better than shit.

If we chop and change the team it'll be even more shit than before.

The only way this shit squad can improve (aside from a complete overhaul of the squad and management structure) is by building around key players like Wheater and keeping things as settled as possible.

Archived