Squad movements, winter 2019/20

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Departed:

Chris Eagles - contract mutually terminated.

Florian Gonzales - contract mutually terminated.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro - left the club as short-term deal ends 31.01.20.

Out on loan:

Javid Swaby-Neavin - loan extended at Northern Premier League side Radcliffe until the end of the season.

Back from loan:

Harry Robinson - returned from loan at Crusaders FC in Belfast.

In on loan:

Christian N'Guessan - from Burnley FC until the end of the season.

Carl Piergianni - from Salford City until the end of the season.

Emmanuel Dieseruvwe - from Salford City until the end of the season.

Squad list in the first post of this thread updated with all the moves to date. 

I wonder if the awful 54, 55, 56 numbering is someone trying to make a (misguided) pointed statement about the number of players they’ve brought in.

7 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Squad list in the first post of this thread updated with all the moves to date. 

I wonder if the awful 54, 55, 56 numbering is someone trying to make a (misguided) pointed statement about the number of players they’ve brought in.

More likely the 1+8 scenario for forwards as our #9 is never likely to play for us again. 

So more than halfway through the window what does next years team look like? Options in brackets. I haven't included some of the youth- not seen enough to judge.

Woods

(Zeus)

Iacovitti

Hamer

(Stott)

(Egert)

(Wheater)

Fage

(Robinson)

Rowe

(Azankpo)

(Kokos)

(Adams)

(Dieseruvwe)

(Dearnly)

If there was an effective plan the contracted players would be the core to build around. Looks a bit thin to me. Of the 6 contracted there is excitement around Rowe, but not much elsewhere.

Keepers- ok but not inspiring

Defence- Hamer a work in progress, Stott maybe improving , need a leader- maybe Wheater will show what we expected when he signed but otherwise release

Midfield- doesn't exist despite the huge numbers we have this year

Forwards- Rowe and which of the options?

Still need to trim squad numbers and get a couple of ones to keep in. Maybe Mani will be worth a contract- will have to see.

5 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

So more than halfway through the window what does next years team look like? Options in brackets. I haven't included some of the youth- not seen enough to judge.

Woods

(Zeus)

Iacovitti

Hamer

(Stott)

(Egert)

(Wheater)

Fage

(Robinson)

Rowe

(Azankpo)

(Kokos)

(Adams)

(Dieseruvwe)

(Dearnly)

If there was an effective plan the contracted players would be the core to build around. Looks a bit thin to me. Of the 6 contracted there is excitement around Rowe, but not much elsewhere.

Keepers- ok but not inspiring

Defence- Hamer a work in progress, Stott maybe improving , need a leader- maybe Wheater will show what we expected when he signed but otherwise release

Midfield- doesn't exist despite the huge numbers we have this year

Forwards- Rowe and which of the options?

Still need to trim squad numbers and get a couple of ones to keep in. Maybe Mani will be worth a contract- will have to see.

That's really weird, I had the exact same though and was just going to post a list of the squad we'd ahve on July 1st.
I think you are being optimistic, it's dire and we shouldn't be so threadbare at this stage.

Let's hope Rowe matches expectations and we can build a squad round him. That Iacovitti contract decision looks more foolish & costly by the day.

I'm trying to be more positive generally in 2020. Apparently its good for ones mental well-being.  Its a bit of struggle on the Latics front though.

Was listening to a discussion on 5live last night about 19:15 about how big the gap was between Liverpool and United. Someone was putting the case that it takes 3 years to build a team. Made sense to me. Scragging together 30 journeymen, has beens and loans of last resort each summer isn't a recipe for success.

Made me think what is the spine we are to build around? Today that looks like the untried Rowe, (I wish him every success) but that seems a bit optimistic.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:58 PM, BP1960 said:

Adam's out on loan to Chorley for a month.

From the Chorley match report:

“First-half substitute Kielen Adams failed to return after the restart having picked up a knock, further adding to manager Vermiglio’s injury misery for the afternoon.”

On 1/18/2020 at 2:22 PM, Longlostfan said:

I'm trying to be more positive generally in 2020. Apparently its good for ones mental well-being.  Its a bit of struggle on the Latics front though.

Was listening to a discussion on 5live last night about 19:15 about how big the gap was between Liverpool and United. Someone was putting the case that it takes 3 years to build a team. Made sense to me. Scragging together 30 journeymen, has beens and loans of last resort each summer isn't a recipe for success.

Made me think what is the spine we are to build around? Today that looks like the untried Rowe, (I wish him every success) but that seems a bit optimistic.

It's ok in the Premiership because players get five year contracts. In the lower divisions it's normally one or two years and occasionally three. There's no way to build a proper team any more. The good players get better offers when their contracts end or are sold before that, and the poor players aren't retained. It's a constant merry-go-round. 

6 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Anyone heard any more news or rumours on departures? Would be nice to see a clearout confirmed, i.e. Vera, Kokos and the like.

A lot have moved on from the club in terms of day to day, training, location etc but still officially have contracts so until they get new deals elsewhere or are paid off it won’t be announced they have left the club. 

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Jack Williams, next in line for a first team call up?

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/january/21012020-academy-tranmere-update/

Bless him - he looks about 13!

It's a difficult one to be honest. Harry Robinson looked way out of his depth when we blooded him. Physically, he was simply out-muscled by wily lower league players.

That said, it doesn't look like the January transfer window is going to bring much exitement so... yes... why not throw the kids in on masse - they could not do any worse than the current shower of shite, could they?

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Jack Williams, next in line for a first team call up?

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/january/21012020-academy-tranmere-update/

Technically he's already had a first-team call up. Aside from his bench appearances in Nov / Dec 2018, I'm quietly confident he has made the bench this season too. 

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

It's a difficult one to be honest. Harry Robinson looked way out of his depth when we blooded him. Physically, he was simply out-muscled by wily lower league players.

That said, it doesn't look like the January transfer window is going to bring much exitement so... yes... why not throw the kids in on masse - they could not do any worse than the current shower of shite, could they?

He's up against far bigger opponents every match  even at youth level and can handle himself much the same way Jonny Smith does with directness and pace.

He won't be far off a call up.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:51 AM, wiseowl said:

Where's this about Harry Robinson come from? He made one appearance as a 90th minute substitute against Notts County. From what I recall, he actually showed a couple of decent touches and played a nice cross field ball. 

"blooded him". 

"way out of his depth". 

"out-muscled". 

24 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Where's this about Harry Robinson come from? He made one appearance as a 90th minute substitute against Notts County. From what I recall, he actually showed a couple of decent touches and played a nice cross field ball. 

"blooded him". 

"way out of his depth". 

"out-muscled". 

The words of a man who, if you didn't know, doesn't go to games. Clearly he just makes stuff up

Archived