Oldhams Best Goal

Had an e-mail from Charlie at Four Four two asking for Latics best goal -

"we’re not after the most important or enjoyable goal – as misty-eyed as Chelsea fans may get over Didier Drogba's Champions League-winning penalty, it's hardly showreel stuff. We want this feature to be about long-range wallops, intricate team moves and startlingly violent volleys. But if you’re undecided over a selection of goals, clearly the importance of the match/opposition has to give it some extra weight when picking out a single winner"

Had a chat with LaticsBiffo and come up with these Any others??

Dean Furmans v County? Cant remember a Latics goal getting nominated for anything!

Gary Maccs v Everton

Ian Marshalls V Notts County at Home in Premier

Stitch at Southampton cup

Ian Marshalls whollop at Wolves promotion season

Neil Adams v Man U - any winning goal against the scum needs a mention.

Nick Henry v Arsenal - Littlweoods cup (start of the pinch me season)

Palmer last minute winner at Ayersome Park - promotion season

Dennis Irwin - Freekick away at Goodison

Sean McArtHorse - Over Schmeichel at Old Trafford

Beresford - Away at Wolves - ran full length of pitch and should have crossed to 2 men unmarked square but shot from 25 yards, top corner

Gary Williams - curler from wing away at Leeds

Brian Kilcline at wrong end for Leeds at Elland Road - best own goal ever.

Lee Richardson - First game of season on debut!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will never forget that goal and the pitch invasion that followed it, back in the day where we took 4500 to county, great times.

I think you may be about 1,000 over with that but I'll stand corrected if otherwise.

Hazell's at Leeds was very very special, partly for the strike and partly for who it was!

that Reuben Hazell goal at Leeds defied the laws of physics, he was leaning back. At the time I thought it was a dream, then my mate jumped on my back

other noticeable ones

Lourenco overhead kick vs Huddersfield

Eyres Free Kick vs Plymouth

Killen vs Notts County is a forgotten one, there must of been about 20 passes leading up to the goal

Lee Richardson vs Charlton (both)

Lee Richardson vs West Brom

Lee Richardson vs Bristol City

Lee Richardson vs Tranmere

Lee Richardson vs Reading

Lee Richardson vs Oxford

Lee Richardson vs Huddersfield

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Ritchie's backheel from around the penalty spot (Watford was it?).

Ritchie's chip from by the sideline (2-0 v Barnsley I think it was).

Kuqi at Dale.

A couple from the telly: Adams 40 yarder @Brighton. Sheridan's free kick @ Bristol Rovers.

Many of these have ten yards added, the shot velocity doubled, the opposition promoted and the skill turned into something Messi would be proud of. They were, in reality, probably two yard tap-ins.

I think you may be about 1,000 over with that but I'll stand corrected if otherwise.

Hazell's at Leeds was very very special, partly for the strike and partly for who it was!

Good shout. That was a ridiculous goal for a player like Hazell to score.

Years ago my dad had a VHS copy of "101 Great Oldham Goals" (or something similar). At the time I reckon about 90% of them were Palmer or Ritchie tap-ins in the middle of a crowded and muddy penalty box. I loved it. Forty yard volleys? Overhead kicks? We don't go in for that kind of showy nonsense!

Kilkenny's equaliser at Doncaster in 2007/08 first round replay was an outstanding strike but IIRC was never televised due to TV rights and the fact nobody bothered to show the first round replay goals that year. Does anyone else remember being there and that goal being something pretty special?

talking about goals at the other end, does anybody remember that goal neil danns scored against us in the f.a cup for blackpool. Must have hit from about 35 yards if i remember correctly and pog was left stranded, must be about 7/8 years ago now