Jose Baxter - Sheffield United

Championship club then fine, all the best Jose and thanks for the money, but this will rip into a lot of our fans to go there, a real kick in the balls as a thanks for all our support!

If this does happen and he goes to Sheff Utd then this will show the true colours of Jose. Sure, he signed for us and we will get some sort of fee for him and we will be able to get a couple in and I appreciate a team is not just one man; but this will really derail the fans now just when things were really looking up.

Just what Ronnie wanted before the game - team gets mixed messages and the fans/atomsphere will be like a morgue on saturday now! Brilliant

I appreciate legally the club can do nothing should someone meet his clause (if there is one), but on his part to leave us for a league rival who are average at best is just totally illogical and he has only gone for the money, nothing else in my eyes.

If you're him and have barely had a full season in professional football and want to play as high as you can, he knows he is better than league one so get your head down at Oldham and keep doing his stuff, in 3 months championship clubs would surely come sniffing???

To go to another team in league one, perhaps at a push Wolves aside, you may as well stay where you are, where you are happy and assess again in 3 months??!!??

Smacks of irony 'All i want to do is get playing football and have a full season under my belt and the contract offers will come' - league one team Jose - no ambition.

Thanks for the paltry release fee (assuming there is one and it is £2-300k) and the kick in the balls by going to someone in the same league.

If he feels going to a club in the same league for more money is football ambition, then I pity him and his agent in thinking that this is the right move for him given what could be on offer in January or next summer.

And if the club have 'forced him out' as posted by someone on here earlier, then that's just yet another beacon of hope and ambition dashed for the fans yet again.

Gutted and angry with this - Sheff U - WHY???????????

I am as gutted as the next man, but angry? we will be ok without him, last Saturday showed we can achieve success without him in the team. Let us applaud him for what he did in January when he could have left us for nothing, my memory of that free kick at Forest will last forever, joy pure joy.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as gutted as the next man, but angry? we will be ok without him, last Saturday showed we can achieve success without him in the team. Let us applaud him for what he did in January when he could have left us for nothing, my memory of that free kick at Forest will last forever, joy pure joy.

What we did on Saturday was beat a team just up from the 4th division, we should beat them with or without Jose.

Time will tell, let's hope LJ can spend the 350k and be very shrewd with it

Championship club then fine, all the best Jose and thanks for the money, but this will rip into a lot of our fans to go there, a real kick in the balls as a thanks for all our support!

Gutted - Sheff U - WHY???????????

He was probably on 5k a week ish (not unrealistic considering we had to make it worth his while signing), we've probably made a couple of hundred grand and we'll get a percentage of a sell on fee that is likely to be more than we could've ever commanded. I can't see us putting up much of a fight.

If he's gone then it's disappointing but we use the money and move on.

The team remains without Jose. Anybody saying he won't be missed is a fool but they showed last week they can score goals and win games without him.

He should go with Latics' fans gratitude for both the football he's played, the fact we'd have gone down last year without him and that we got a fee when he could have walked last year for nowt.

I wish him all the best and (if he does go to Sheffield United) hope he gets a great reception on Boxing Day. Then I hope he plays an absolute stinker.

So we signed a player who's career was going no where, convinced him to sign a new contract when his stock was up, when he could have joined another club for nothing and have now sold him for a fee which has meant we can strengthen our current squad, who have just easily beaten Port Vale, largely without the help of the player in question.

Seems like genuinely good business to me - well done, Latics.

Edited by JoeP

What we did on Saturday was beat a team just up from the 4th division, we should beat them with or without Jose.

Time will tell, let's hope LJ can spend the 350k and be very shrewd with it

Last season without Jose they would have rolled us over. There are worse sides than PV in our division,

Whether you like them or not (and I can't stick them), you have to accept they are a much better team and much bigger club than us...

clearly havent seen them play recently then have you? very average at best, they've been average against us since being in league one - nothing but hoof against us under Wilson last season and crumbled against us the previous season.

Poor poor from him, - rash move by him, money and Weir will have been the reasons

Edited by shefflatic

Just a question. Can imagine a lot of kids havin it on their shirt expecting him to stay a bit longer than a few games into the season.

My lad wanted it on his shirt but we persuaded him to not have any name on it. He is one upset 7 yr old at the moment

Cast your minds back to January.

It was certain that Baxter was on his way. We had enjoyed his services for a few months however it was clear that he was one of the best talents we'd had at BP for quite some time. I personally spoke to a number of scouts in the crowd at the time who, to a man, said he wasn't good enough for the Championship - two of them said they had been tracking him since his Everton days. I disagreed at the time, thought he was able - probably just needed a break.

Credit to Simon Corney, we agreed a 2 and a half year contract for the lad - greeted with amazement by the BP crowd. Baxter held ALL the cards at the time. SC has gone on record stating he wished the trigger could have been higher, however, we had to be grateful for what we had. I think we all agreed, it was great business.

JB was instrumental (with a little help from Smith and others) in great cup runs and survival. He showed his attributes in abundance, great touch, eye for a pass, however he did show at times why the scouts hadn't gone for him - lack of team spirit (only sometimes) ie tracking back etc.

It's interesting that its another L1 team that has signed him - still the Championship clubs remain shy.

Personally, I've enjoyed watching him, but his departure comes at a time when we are in decent shape. As such i am not so worried. if the fee is £350000 then thats great business and far more than I expected. Korey Smith can now shine. He has played in the shadow of JB and has been rock solid since he first signed. Sure we need back up in the central area, but Korey and Wes looks good to me.

I wish Baxter well. We were good for him, and he was good for us.

People are getting carried away saying we won't miss him, he doesn't fit in etc.. However, if we had lost him in Jan I think we would be playing in League Two this season. Where as now I think we're less reliant on him and still have a good enough squad to stay up.

In January we were in dire straights, make no mistake. We were in trouble when Baxter arrived and still in trouble when he signed his contract in January. It was Lee Johnson arriving that turned things around in the league.

Lets just wait and see how the manager and the team deal with the loss of Baxter. JB is just one man in what is a the most talented squad we have had for a few years.

Get a grip folks. Lets make sure we get behind the lads on Saturday.