The Rotherham vs Oldham match reaction thread

Did anybody else see LJ seemingly going ballistic at Clarke-Harris after the winner? Repeatedly invited pressure onto us by giving away stupid fouls which they launched into our box.

Although Rooney wasnt at his best, I hope LJ soon realises that at this moment in time, replacing him directly with JCH in the 'target role' isnt the way forward, especially in situations like yesterday where we're hanging on to a lead. Ive got big hopes for the lad, but Hes simply not mature enough to play that target man role, & I think its unfair asking him do to do it at this stage.

If he'd taken Philliskirk off, JCH could've been lethal on the break with more freedom & space to roam, but was mainly left to furrow alone. The last thing you want is a frustrated JCH. Its those little margins that are costing us points at the moment.

Thought grounds was at fault for not heading it away ... Piss poor centre half play

Edited by Pure Elvis 1977

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought grounds was at fault for not heading it away ... Piss poor centre half play

I noticed that, some intensive training needed with all the players on how to jump with conviction and get your feet off the ground.

Was it Smith who didn't jump for the near post header ?

Edited by BP1960

I noticed that, some intensive training needed with all the players on how to jump with conviction and get your feet off the ground.

I did notice a few times in yesterday's game that grounds was telling oxley to speak up/shout out more to the defenders

I did notice a few times in yesterday's game that grounds was telling oxley to speak up/shout out more to the defenders

He made some truly excellent saves yesterday.

But if he's going to make it as a goalkeeper he needs to massively up the communication and view anything in the six yard box as his.

He made some truly excellent saves yesterday.

But if he's going to make it as a goalkeeper he needs to massively up the communication and view anything in the six yard box as his.

You look at the goals yesterday and he's got no chance and he made a couple of top drawer saves by the sound of it but, with a keeper of Rachubka's quality on the bench, how much longer does Oxley, having conceded 15 in 9 (13 in 7 in the league) with zero clean sheets, get before he's benched?

You look at the goals yesterday and he's got no chance and he made a couple of top drawer saves by the sound of it but, with a keeper of Rachubka's quality on the bench, how much longer does Oxley, having conceded 15 in 9 (13 in 7 in the league) with zero clean sheets, get before he's benched?

It would be a harsh call to drop him after Saturday.

But the two keepers we ditched in the Summer were both better than what I've seen of Oxley.

I have been giving Oxley time, especially after the hysterical response from some quarters after his two unlucky penalties. But on saturday I was very concerned with his lack of commanding and would bring in Rachubka. If hull get upset and recall him because he isnt in the team then fine, we are Latics not hull B team.

Smith missed the header at the front post but knowone tracked nardiello and Grounds missed his header for the the 3rd, late in the game and a long ball forward your centre half needs to come and cleanly take the ball in those situations. The first one we can put down to bad luck on another day and another ref doesn't give that.

It just looks like 2 mistakes have cost us again cut these mistakes out and we will stride up the league.

I haven't enjoyed watching Latics so much for years.

There is pace passion and resilience .

Watching them lose today was an experience that made me proud again. Not the result but the way they battled back from a really difficult position and showed belief . Five losses yes . But nearly every match is evidence of the new Latics that is emerging from years of stagnation.

Here here!

Guest Scratch2000uk

Millers reckon Oldham are the scruffiest, roughest set of fans to ever grace their ground.indeed one of em reckons we made them look like Burton's mannequins. :boxer:

I have been giving Oxley time, especially after the hysterical response from some quarters after his two unlucky penalties. But on saturday I was very concerned with his lack of commanding and would bring in Rachubka. If hull get upset and recall him because he isnt in the team then fine, we are Latics not hull B team.

Ridiculous post, he kept us in that game with some brilliant saves on Saturday. 2nd goal its front post, if a keeper is claiming a ball there he is grossly out of position. 3rd goal, Jonathan grounds has a nightmare of trying to head it, and Oxley is very unlucky to parry it where he does. He made a terrific low save from nardiello when Grounds and Kusunga miscommunicated in the first 15 minutes, and then another low diving save late in the first half before another couple of crackers from headers in the 2nd period. He was up there for MOM imo

Ridiculous post, he kept us in that game with some brilliant saves on Saturday. 2nd goal its front post, if a keeper is claiming a ball there he is grossly out of position. 3rd goal, Jonathan grounds has a nightmare of trying to head it, and Oxley is very unlucky to parry it where he does. He made a terrific low save from nardiello when Grounds and Kusunga miscommunicated in the first 15 minutes, and then another low diving save late in the first half before another couple of crackers from headers in the 2nd period. He was up there for MOM imo

People need someone to blame! Young Goalkeeper on loan from a Premier League club is the perfect choice ;)