Johnson to Barnsley

Stink bombs! This would end the agony of hoping we can make 6th. LJ is without doubt our most valuable asset and will command a sizeable compensation payment. Wave more than £500k at SC and permission to talk will be granted. We will only get out of league 1 if a manager stays the course. I thought LJ was that kind of man!

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great use of statistics there, but you could have done better by only using the individual month in which each of the managers were appointed - that way you could have claimed 12 managers in 12 months.

Okay then, Latics have had ten in the same 15-year period. I think the 'Which manager departed today?' thread demonstrates that, in modern football, manager's don't tend to be in place very long.

Stink bombs! This would end the agony of hoping we can make 6th. LJ is without doubt our most valuable asset and will command a sizeable compensation payment. Wave more than £500k at SC and permission to talk will be granted. We will only get out of league 1 if a manager stays the course. I thought LJ was that kind of man!

Not saying we are in the same shape (squad strength) as Brentford, but I would imagine they all thought the same thing when Rosler left them and an ex banker took over

You think it is not up to the board.

I think it is.

It's as simple as that. No one is arguing, it's an Internet message board...

Of course it's up to the Board, if he's interested. I'm saying the Board doesn't have a decision to make if he makes it clear he's not interested in talking to them. From the article, he doesn't sound averse to the idea.

Not for the first time this year LJ neatly sidesteps questions about which he has previously said the opposite.And places responsbibilty firmly on the Board. He could categeorically rule himself out, but chooses not to. He could say I am committed to Oldham.

Anyone could see it is too early in his career, he needs to find his feet, achieve something then move on.

Barnsley are a bit bigger club than us, and consistently have double our gates despite being a slightly smaller town. But LJ could go onto much bigger things with a little patience.

The FL and the dole queue is littered with managers who made the jump too early.

LJ could easily say I am staying put for the time being, but he plays the media and comes out as if he is the Messiah in some eyes.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very shrewd boy.

In the MEN, LJ makes his position clear:

“As far as I’m concerned I’m happy in the job at Oldham and I get on really well with the players, the staff and everybody else.

“The board has always said that they want me to remain and I have two and a half years left on my contract so it won’t be my decision to leave.

“I thought the bookmakers had the wrong Johnson at first when I heard I was favourite for the job as it’s my dad who is out of work at the moment.

“I’m an ambitious manager and I’d love to one day manage in the higher divisions and it would be great if we can do that with Oldham.

“We’re doing everything we can to get Oldham there and at the moment there isn’t anything else in my mindset."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-boss-shrugs-barnsley-8668535

I'm not sure who we would bring in if LJ goes. For instance, I don't think we would get a Danny Wilson because he likes a big transfer buget and we simply couldn't offer that.

Gary Johnson did a decent job in getting Yeovil promoted but again couldn't achieve much more than his small wage budget in the Championship, I.E a bridge too far, which would be the same position if we went up With him.

Dowie earns too much elsewhere to even consider us.

Nigel Adkins, will never happen.

just going off some names mentioned on here.

I agree with Palmer on this one. It would be another young, unproven manager. We have been lucky this time with LJ in finding a bit of a Gem. However it didn't work with Dickov, who's to say it would next time?

Missed the obvious candidate -

Available

Cheap

Knows the club inside out

Well versed to handle the media

Served his time through the ranks

SC will give him his full backing -

BARRY OWEN

enough said !!!!!!!!

Tbf to Lee, he's just seen his dad sacked months after taking a club to heights they've never seen before, he's wise to consider any offers that come in.

Whilst that is true, it was nearly 2 years ago. Nearer the time, he was on the verge of taking them down for the second succesive season. Of course, we are not privy to the reasons.

In the MEN, LJ makes his position clear:

“As far as I’m concerned I’m happy in the job at Oldham and I get on really well with the players, the staff and everybody else.

“The board has always said that they want me to remain and I have two and a half years left on my contract so it won’t be my decision to leave.

“I thought the bookmakers had the wrong Johnson at first when I heard I was favourite for the job as it’s my dad who is out of work at the moment.

“I’m an ambitious manager and I’d love to one day manage in the higher divisions and it would be great if we can do that with Oldham.

“We’re doing everything we can to get Oldham there and at the moment there isn’t anything else in my mindset."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-boss-shrugs-barnsley-8668535

Tobe fair Diego, that is a lot clearer.

It's still washy washy enough, but much clearer.

Reading between the lines of the club's "No comment" and Johnson's "I have two and a half years left on my contract, so it won't be my decision to leave" in the MEN, it sounds like Johnson would be happy to stay but Corney wants to cash in on him.

Missed the obvious candidate -

Available

Cheap

Knows the club inside out

Well versed to handle the media

Served his time through the ranks

SC will give him his full backing -

BARRY OWEN

enough said !!!!!!!!

I am afraid he is on location filming a sequel... Barry Owen: My Rise..

#50ShadesofBarryOwen

Edited by singe

Why are people thinking that, if LJ left, we'd recruit from outside. Given that things have been relatively good on the pitch (compared to other times when managers have left), surely we're far more likely to ask Tommy Wright to step up.

Based on nothing but a hunch, I reckon it would be Johnson out, Lockwood in.

Sincerely hope none of this matters though and LJ remains in situ.

To be fair, we have just had a pretty good transfer window and resisted most efforts to cash in.

So, I don't think the Board will be ready to cash in.

Of course, everyone has a price, but we are not as desperate as we have been in the past few years.

That's a fair point and i hope you are right. But, given Johnson's comments, the club could have put this to bed straight away by saying "Sorry, he's not available", as Swindon did, instead of "No comment".

Tobe fair Diego, that is a lot clearer.

It's still washy washy enough, but much clearer.

The rarely-wrong Chron's "no comment" story is based on "An Athletic club source" rather than the Club itself issuing the quote.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/90370/johnson-clear-favourite-for-barnsley-post

Barnsley fans don't appear to be thrilled at the idea of Johnson becoming their next manager.

Majority of their forum are against it, with one or two even suggesting they won't renew their season ticket.

They can't understand how their board are contemplating paying what will be a decent amount of compensation for somebody so inexperienced.

Oh and there's a few comments on how good OWTB is!

Adkins linked with the job as front runner today via media in Scunthorpe.

To be fair that would be a far more logical appointment especially if they have money to throw around.

He was managing in the premier league two years or so ago!

Danny Wilson was not that long ago.

Danny Wilson was not that long ago.

True and I see your point, but the tactics and playing style he has used recently - how he shackled us for example, has been pretty painful to watch even when they've won. He was expected (and had the money) to be challenging for promotion this season.

The rarely-wrong Chron's "no comment" story is based on "An Athletic club source" rather than the Club itself issuing the quote.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/90370/johnson-clear-favourite-for-barnsley-post

I don't believe a word the Chron says about Latics after Corney Quits-gate :laught30: