• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big name non-manager.

Small time manager.

Big time manager.

Small time coach.

Is there any evidence, at this level (and by that I mean low budget free transfer wielding club), that one type of appointment is more likely to succeed than the other?

Their isn't

I don't think it's a case of the wisdom of experience trumps the exuberance and fresh ideas of youth or vice versa.

We know very little about this guy what their is doesn't inspire. What I'm hoping on is that he has done his homework on the club knows what the problems are and that despite not being a name goes in demands respect from the players and gets it them back on their toes.

Big name non-manager.

Small time manager.

Big time manager.

Small time coach.

Is there any evidence, at this level (and by that I mean low budget free transfer wielding club), that one type of appointment is more likely to succeed than the other?

Their isn't

I don't think it's a case of the wisdom of experience trumps the exuberance and fresh ideas of youth or vice versa.

We know very little about this guy what their is doesn't inspire. What I'm hoping on is that he has done his homework on the club knows what the problems are and that despite not being a name goes in demands respect from the players and gets them back on their toes.

That's fine. So, your guess is different than mine.

Who are the 'we' you refer to?

Folk with a bit of common sense and realism about them.

I did have a mad moment a few weeks ago when I thought Dowie might be an option, I'm back on the tablets now so all is well again.

Understand Yates and Sellars are among those to have made the short-list, the latter in line to be first-choice offer.

It's not Rosler.

It's an English coach who's done a fair bit abroad.

Holden still very much a contender, I'm hearing. (16th APR)

Apologies I may have jumped the gun slightly.

Holden not set in stone yet. Still murmurings about Dowie not being totally out of the picture. (22nd Apr)

It's Holden (22nd April)

Might be some legs to Dowie not having been ruled out, I'm hearing.... Hearing off one source that he's been offered the job...! (23 apr)

Dowie source of mine claims talks were held tonight in London with club directors... (24th Apr)

Different source re Dowie...

There are a few things muddying the waters - some associates convinced Holden's the favourite, other rumours suggesting that he's leaving.

Either way, we should find out next week! (24th APR)

Nothing will happen until next week I'm told, but a new man is in the frame...........

Been told it's all tied up with Dowie... Deal almost agreed, should be this week. (26th april)

Source telling me it's all agreed from Dowie's end with the directors. It's just waiting on Corney's signature when he's back here in midweek (28th Apr)

Latest from my source: Blitz and Corney now in the UK. Talks with Dowie and lawyers set to happen tonight... (30Apr)

I'm going to limit updates now to prevent misunderstanding/miscommunication via me. (30apr)

Nothing will happen until next week I'm told, but a new man is in the frame........... (1st may)

It's Redfearn v Dowie I'm hearing... (1st may)

I'm hearing it's set to be Kelly. (1st may)

Edited by Stagger Lee

Folk with a bit of common sense and realism about them.

I did have a mad moment a few weeks ago when I thought Dowie might be an option, I'm back on the tablets now so all is well again.

You are now like a frisky dog on lino - stop taking the tablets at once.

Dowie is at the Tranmere game for sky sports. If he mentions the Oldham job at any point I will post it.

However my sauce tells me its unlikely as he should only be giving updates on the game.

Big name non-manager.

Small time manager.

Big time manager.

Small time coach.

I've not classified them in that way, but I was interested in the idea so decided to have a look. From the last 11 League 1 seasons, picked the managers that had led teams to promotion and a handful that had come very close to overachieving similar to how it would take us to go up, such as Carlisle and Neil McDonald. There were 36 managers (the numbers may not add up exactly because there are some overlaps (and I didn't look that in depth) but you'll get the jist).

There were 8 first time managers.

16 with experience in or around the same league or above.

8 managers with only lower league experience or just coaching

5 managers who had been promoted from this league more than once in that span

Obviously it's pretty incomparable to us because many of the promoted clubs were I totally different circumstances to Latics. I may look more in depth if I can be bothered later.

I've not classified them in that way, but I was interested in the idea so decided to have a look. From the last 11 League 1 seasons, picked the managers that had led teams to promotion and a handful that had come very close to overachieving similar to how it would take us to go up, such as Carlisle and Neil McDonald. There were 36 managers (the numbers may not add up exactly because there are some overlaps (and I didn't look that in depth) but you'll get the jist).

There were 8 first time managers.

16 with experience in or around the same league or above.

8 managers with only lower league experience or just coaching

5 managers who had been promoted from this league more than once in that span

Obviously it's pretty incomparable to us because many of the promoted clubs were I totally different circumstances to Latics. I may look more in depth if I can be bothered later.

I'm impressed you made the effort.

Didn't a complete nobody as a manger get us into the top five recently?

Are you just pretending not to see the difference for a wind up?

Johnson was a reasonably well known player who'd been successful in a long career at this level and, to a lesser extent, the one above. And Scotland. Plenty of contacts, born into management etc... Even to those most up in arms about him coming it quickly became easy to see why SC wanted him.

This bloke did nothing as a player (I didn't even know he'd been one until I looked him up) and has only been able to get a low level kids coaching position with any other club since retiring.

The difference between him and what Johnson represented is enormous.