New Manager thread.

You didn't need a source to know Holden was getting the job until the end of the season, just a bit of common sense.

You have a strong point.

Yet, oddly given that statement, I seem to remember everyone on here was talking about Dowie and Yates when I put that on here after being told it was done and dusted and to be announced shortly be the club - which it then was.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costing the club thousands in cancelled season tickets.

Let's just assume that you are right about that for a second.

So you are arguing that a man's personal life is interfering with his professional life because there are people who would financially support his professional life who are incapable of separating the two.

This is exactly the mentality that I disagree with.

It's only "interfering" because of the attitudes exhibited by a certain number of people. It's nothing that he is doing directly.

To sum up: It was all bollocks.

Thanks mate. You're totally correct on the whole, except amid my trafic mud slinging just a few bits stuck....

Bollocks that I was told we were definitely intent on signing Ched and then it was confirmed; bollocks when I was told it was definitely decided on Holden and an official statement followed a few hours later; bollocks that I learned Yates was a strong contender, and then he was reported to be on a short-list; bollocks that I passed on the message that Blitz was coming over to the UK and he was then spotted by fans a few days after; bollocks that Dowie was definitely after the job (despite his links with the vacancy being silent for weeks) and instigating talks with the club, and then reports followed before the man himself came out and officially confirmed he wanted the job as stated; bollocks that an appointment was being planned on the final weekend of the season, and then - albeit following a change of mind to do it at the game - the club confirms their new manager less than 24 hours after the match; bollocks that Keegan's tweet was definitely true and that Kelly had impressed greatly in interview and it was a done deal a few days ago - and then, with many on here still dismissing it as rumour, he rocks up at the game, journalists report he's there with the understanding he's got the job, and then he's unveiled.

But moreover, efforts to share interesting info with fellow fans and spark debate - sadly, it seems, is bollocks.

Me told :-)

KTF

Thanks mate. You're totally correct on the whole, except amid my trafic mud slinging just a few bits stuck....

Bollocks that I was told we were definitely intent on signing Ched and then it was confirmed; bollocks when I was told it was definitely decided on Holden and an official statement followed a few hours later; bollocks that I learned Yates was a strong contender, and then he was reported to be on a short-list; bollocks that I passed on the message that Blitz was coming over to the UK and he was then spotted by fans a few days after; bollocks that Dowie was definitely after the job (despite his links with the vacancy being silent for weeks) and instigating talks with the club, and then reports followed before the man himself came out and officially confirmed he wanted the job as stated; bollocks that an appointment was being planned on the final weekend of the season, and then - albeit following a change of mind to do it at the game - the club confirms their new manager less than 24 hours after the match; bollocks that Keegan's tweet was definitely true and that Kelly had impressed greatly in interview and it was a done deal a few days ago - and then, with many on here still dismissing it as rumour, he rocks up at the game, journalists report he's there with the understanding he's got the job, and then he's unveiled.

But moreover, efforts to share interesting info with fellow fans and spark debate - sadly, it seems, is bollocks.

Me told :-)

KTF

Now let us know the first Kelly signing.

That's not evidence of "thousands in cancelled season tickets"

In fact there's no evidence in that there's been any cancelled so far ...

There might be in the future, there might not be. But until we see what happens ....

Wow. Yeah corney felt moved to agree to meet fans and the OS put a story up based on nothing. Dont be so stupid.

Personally I know of eight, plus myself, so thats over £3000 that I know of. If that was all it was they could have just sent us an email.

Let's just assume that you are right about that for a second.

So you are arguing that a man's personal life is interfering with his professional life because there are people who would financially support his professional life who are incapable of separating the two.

This is exactly the mentality that I disagree with.

It's only "interfering" because of the attitudes exhibited by a certain number of people. It's nothing that he is doing directly.

Yes. Its interfering. The club should have known this and appointed an actual manager, rather than some lower lower league player with dodgy friends and poor privacy skills.

Wow. Yeah corney felt moved to agree to meet fans and the OS put a story up based on nothing. Dont be so stupid.

Personally I know of eight, plus myself, so thats over £3000 that I know of. If that was all it was they could have just sent us an email.

nine people who have bought a ST only a few days earlier decide to cancel them ?! They had weeks to buy them before the lower price deadline but snapped them up in the first week only to ask for their money back pretty much within a week?

And you know them all?

Firstly that's an emotional gang.

Secondly do post which seats have been cancelled - as they were bought early one can only assume they were in good positions and somebody else might be interested in them

nine people who have bought a ST only a few days earlier decide to cancel them ?! They had weeks to buy them before the lower price deadline but snapped them up in the first week only to ask for their money back pretty much within a week?

And you know them all?

Firstly that's an emotional gang.

Secondly do post which seats have been cancelled - as they were bought early one can only assume they were in good positions and somebody else might be interested in them

If Monty included me and my 2 mates (from an earlier post) then including himself that is 4 of the 9 that he knows OF, not knows personally!

This apppintment is the cheap option, even ignoring the political baggage, it is Corney's way in my view of illustrating exactly how little importance he is placing on the playing side of the club next season. In my view it is admitting that we will finish bottom half next season, not a good enough target in my view!

If the aim is not promotion then why should we bother going? Really it is that simple and I know it will not be easy to get promoted but good grief let us at least have it as an ambition for next season at least until the fire sale to free up cash for fixtures and fittings in the posh bars, Corney takes the piss yet again!

Im not one who has the abilty to see in to the future ........ that said I can see several coats turning if we win the first two games. After the first two or three games Wilson was the undoubted hero.... kelly and Jones were not good enough even though they hadnt kicked a ball in almost a year between them ... and people wrote them off on here.

Those posters who are cancelling STs; are you meeting with Corney to take up the offer or simply requesting via email/phone?

Also, if Kelly succeeds and next season we are winning games, in top half of table or even flirting with top 6 by December then will you ask Corney for a half-season ST or commit to attending the remaining home games on a pay on the day basis?

Those posters who are cancelling STs; are you meeting with Corney to take up the offer or simply requesting via email/phone?

Also, if Kelly succeeds and next season we are winning games, in top half of table or even flirting with top 6 by December then will you ask Corney for a half-season ST or commit to attending the remaining home games on a pay on the day basis?

What on earth is Corney going to say to anyone, something like we really value your support and hope that you return once our plan works-it's all bull:censored: he isnt interested in anything but the income from the New Stand!

I think that most people have said like i have said, we will pay on the day (perhaps!) but it doesnt help the cashflow and perhaps we wont then bother attending

What on earth is Corney going to say to anyone, something like we really value your support and hope that you return once our plan works-it's all bull:censored: he isnt interested in anything but the income from the New Stand!

I think that most people have said like i have said, we will pay on the day (perhaps!) but it doesnt help the cashflow and perhaps we wont then bother attending

OK, you've made your decision...........we don't need to hear it again.

Move on to the next thread. I will be more interested in those comments. This thread is now done for you surely.

From his demeanour in interviews/ the press conference yesterday, and his offer to meet season ticket holders who want a refund, I now suspect that Corney is genuinely surprised by the negative reaction to the appointment.

I think he was convinced that fans would trust his judgment in taking a punt on an unkown after the relative success of the Johnson appointment. A view no doubt re-enforced by the yes men who surround him in the boardroom.

His mistake was probably in talking up the prospects of the appointment with his 'strongest list of aplicants ever' coments. Many fans (myself included) assumed that comment was hinting at a push the boat out, big name appointment, making the reality of an unknow, under 9s coach even more dissapointing than it would have been had expectations been set appropriately.

Edited by bozman

If some people really want a refund on S/T why did they buy one in the first place ??

Surely they must have known a new manager was going to be announced sooner rather than later.
Why didn't they wait until then before buying , they still had until 21st to get the discount.

Can understand people being totally underwhelmed with the appointment but to go and ask for a refund , get real we are Latcis !!!!!!!!

If some people really want a refund on S/T why did they buy one in the first place ??

Surely they must have known a new manager was going to be announced sooner rather than later.

Why didn't they wait until then before buying , they still had until 21st to get the discount.

Can understand people being totally underwhelmed with the appointment but to go and ask for a refund , get real we are Latcis !!!!!!!!

I suspect they were thinking it would be someone we had heard of rather than an under 9's manager.

Or caught up in the euphoria of the new stand, remember how positive it was.

Nonetheless, baffled as I still am, I am in the lets wait and see, we'll know if it is going to work out soon enough. Judge on actions not words.

I am more fearful than any other manager we appointed, as I could see the thought process in previous managers. But maybe the Pro Licence will make him a really good manager.

Having re seen it a couple of plus points.

1) Doing badges at 20 is a good sign thinking past his playing career, but the devil in is the detail, of which badges that was.

2) I like the fact SC ruled out candidates and did not even interview them because of their playing style.

We can't judge DK until a fair few games/months in on the attractive football issue. But then nor can we the first 10 mins of the first pre season friendly either.

Edited by singe

OK, you've made your decision...........we don't need to hear it again.

Move on to the next thread. I will be more interested in those comments. This thread is now done for you surely.

If it wouldn't be so hypocritical & contradictory I'm sure somebody would tell you to stop telling people what they can and can't post....

Edited by HarryBosch

I suspect they were thinking it would be someone we had heard of rather than an under 9's manager.

Nonetheless, baffled as I still am, I am in the lets wait and see, we'll know if it is going to work out soon enough. Judge on actions not words.

I am more fearful than any other manager we appointed, as I could see the thought process in previous managers. But maybe the Pro Licence will make him a really good manager.

1) Doing badges at 20 is a good sign thinking past his playing career, but the devil in is the detail, of which badges that was.

2) I like the fact SC ruled out candidates and did not even interview them because of their playing style.

We can't judge DK until a fair few games/months in on the attractive football issue. But then nor can we the first 10 mins of the first pre season friendly either.

Badges schmadges.......

If it wouldn't be so hypocritical & contradictory I'm sure somebody would tell you to stop telling people what they can and can't post....

I've read and absorbed what the posted feels. The decision as been made. Merely pointing out to repeat and repeat said decision is not necessary. As if I've said what can be posted........ stretching that aint ya? as you were Harry

In many, if not most, walks of life people can have masses of qualifications and be :censored:e at their job - I'd be amazed if most of us haven't worked somewhere where we personally have been far better at a job than better qualified, better paid colleagues/superiors.....

Why do so many modern football fans give them so much credence?

I can see it's better to have them than not but, I hope it's way, way down Corney's list of what's important in a manager....

I suppose those who had purchased tickets and are now cancelling them would have bought tickets early to get a good seat in the new north stand?

As for starting badges at 20, i had my coaching level 1 at 17 that doesn't mean I'm preparing myself for management of a football league team... infact most apprentices/scholars at football league clubs now do their coaching badges level 1 and 2 so they have something to fall back on if football doesn't work out.

Badges schmadges.......

It seems to me it's the only thing he has going for him.

All that due dilligence (!) and SC admits its come down to a hunch.

I guess it always does in the end.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Edited by singe

I'm as disappointed as anyone else but some of the talk of getting refunds is Barmy.

I interviewed and employed hundreds of people of 40 + years and nearly always came down to gut instinct at the end of the day.
Glad to say that 90% proved right , SC is no different and upto now most of the rookie managers he has picked have been good.

The bad ones have been the so called experienced ones.

I can't believe any supporter isn't prepared to give the guy a chance , what's to lose .

Problem for SC is that probably most of the so called bigger names fans were expecting on the list need the bigger budgets to work with and we just haven't got that.

If he proves as bad as some people fear then get rid early and start again , no big deal .

But what if SC is right and he's a gem !!!!!!!

I'm as disappointed as anyone else but some of the talk of getting refunds is Barmy.

I interviewed and employed hundreds of people of 40 + years and nearly always came down to gut instinct at the end of the day.

Glad to say that 90% proved right , SC is no different and upto now most of the rookie managers he has picked have been good.

The bad ones have been the so called experienced ones.

I can't believe any supporter isn't prepared to give the guy a chance , what's to lose .

Problem for SC is that probably most of the so called bigger names fans were expecting on the list need the bigger budgets to work with and we just haven't got that.

If he proves as bad as some people fear then get rid early and start again , no big deal .

But what if SC is right and he's a gem !!!!!!!

If SC is right, and lets hope he is, will Kelly be as loyalist as Johnson was?

I think it will become crystal clear, very quickly, whether this guy is the real deal and has true potential or is completely out of his depth.

He doesn't have the sort of CV that will by him an extra 6 months in the job if things are going badly. If he has a bad start, he'll probably be gone by the end of October.

On a positive note, he made it clear in his interview that he fully understands that. I think he said something along the lines of 'I realise my first management job will also be my last if I don't get it right quickly'.