New Manager thread.

Problem for SC is that probably most of the so called bigger names fans were expecting on the list need the bigger budgets to work with and we just haven't got that.

Somebody said on Twitter last night that in the FFP age the club needs to appoint a manager who'll put bums on seats in order to increase the budget....

Seems to make sense to me that..

How many could a manager who'd excite the fans and a marquee signing add to the gate? And how much would that add to the coffers that could then be added to the playing budget?

It's a sad state of affairs that more and more decisions are becoming non football but, that's where we are and we'd do well to play the system as best we can.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will become crystal clear, very quickly, whether this guy is the real deal and has true potential or is completely out of his depth.

He doesn't have the sort of CV that will by him an extra 6 months in the job if things are going badly. If he has a bad start, he'll probably be gone by the end of October.

On a positive note, he made it clear in his interview that he fully understands that. I think he said something along the lines of 'I realise my first management job will also be my last if I don't get it right quickly'.

This is my view too.

If he's not out of a job by the time the Christmas decorations go up then I think it will mean we've started pretty well. If we haven't started well I don't see the fans giving him much scope to turn it around.

Somebody said on Twitter last night that in the FFP age the club needs to appoint a manager who'll put bums on seats in order to increase the budget....

Seems to make sense to me that..

How many could a manager who'd excite the fans and a marquee signing add to the gate? And how much would that add to the coffers that could then be added to the playing budget?

It's a sad state of affairs that more and more decisions are becoming non football but, that's where we are and we'd do well to play the system as best we can.

A marquee player signing would do the same, Bobby Johnstone added about 10,000 to the gate. Fans are craving for some excitement at home games after the miseable last few years.

In local league cricket a top class professional can bring in extra supporters, they are highly paid in respect to the others, but its basically the same principal of bums on seats.

Edited by BP1960

Posted · Hidden by Stevie_J, May 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Stevie_J, May 6, 2015 - No reason given

Bmy-hX9IEAAynej.jpg-large.jpeg

It's time to move on for many - the Queen for the benefit of the United Kingdom had to shake hands, other bitter enemies and victims have for various reasons moved on. But this is football, a pleasant pastime, an enjoyment - How can I enjoy something to the fullest when it's tainted by such bad memories?

Will I give up on Oldham because of some ones beliefs? - No

Will it take the edge of my enjoyment knowing the Manager supports this piece of scum - Yes

If some people really want a refund on S/T why did they buy one in the first place ??

Surely they must have known a new manager was going to be announced sooner rather than later.

Why didn't they wait until then before buying , they still had until 21st to get the discount.

Can understand people being totally underwhelmed with the appointment but to go and ask for a refund , get real we are Latcis !!!!!!!!

Flips sake how many times?

If he wasnt a terrorist sympathiser I wouldnt want a refund.

A marquee player signing would do the same, Bobby Johnstone added about 10,000 to the gate. Fans are craving for some excitement at home games after the miseable last few years.

In local league cricket a top class professional can bring in extra supporters, they are highly paid in respect to the others, but its basically the same principal of bums on seats.

Not only that, said professional then trains others around and raises standards.

I think it will become crystal clear, very quickly, whether this guy is the real deal and has true potential or is completely out of his depth.

He doesn't have the sort of CV that will by him an extra 6 months in the job if things are going badly. If he has a bad start, he'll probably be gone by the end of October.

On a positive note, he made it clear in his interview that he fully understands that. I think he said something along the lines of 'I realise my first management job will also be my last if I don't get it right quickly'.

I genuinely don't think it will happen by October, but agree with JSS by Xmas. SC does stick by his man, though, until the very last minute. If it is really, really bad (doubt it will be) then in time for transfer window.

The worst case would be hovering lower mid of the table, not bad enough to warrant immediate sacking, but bad enough to know it won't get bettter for some time at the least.

Still we have history to tell us it takes time, and that things can get very, very bad before they get better.

Edited by singe

Why stop there?

Let's all demand to know which of our players/ staff/ board members vote UKIP, want the return of the death penalty, love the idea of prohibition, support fox hunting and were in favour of the Iraq war.

There's nothing like indignance is there?

Come to think of it, I should be looking to vet the political opinions of all the staff at Alton Towers and Chester Zoo before I go there again.

OK, you've made your decision...........we don't need to hear it again.

Move on to the next thread. I will be more interested in those comments. This thread is now done for you surely.

Sorry Lags these threads move around a bit, on which thread may I comment now please? :censored: I just realised this thread had been finished for me!

Wow. Yeah corney felt moved to agree to meet fans and the OS put a story up based on nothing. Dont be so stupid.

Personally I know of eight, plus myself, so thats over £3000 that I know of. If that was all it was they could have just sent us an email.

Zero tickets refunded during the period of Corney's offer to meet people.

https://twitter.com/DawnMarsdenOC/status/595922700469727232

You do realise Mcguiness cut all ties with the IRA over 40 years ago and he's now a mainstream politician. And the word 'legend' actually means cheers/thanks most of the time in Ireland. How do you know for certain he's a terroist sympathiser, have you asked him?

You do realise Mcguiness cut all ties with the IRA over 40 years ago and he's now a mainstream politician. And the word 'legend' actually means cheers/thanks most of the time in Ireland. How do you know for certain he's a terroist sympathiser, have you asked him?

I think your comments are a tad naive, he was allegedly active till the late 90's and its not like he was just a member he was one of the commanders giving out orders to other members, its been done to death on here now and nothings going to change so its probably time for people to make their minds up either way and as a club pick up the pieces and move on.

Without wishing to get into all the politics but some people regard Tony Blair as someone acting illegally on the Iraq war. Some people would get offended if someone tweeted the same calling him a "legend"

I'm not trivialising the atrocities of the IRA but McGuiness distanced himself as a politician years and years ago. Politicians, right or wrong, are regarded as celebrities by some due to their fame.

it's wrong, and libellous, to assume Kelly as a terrorist sympathiser.

Hopefully he proves the doubters wrong by his achievements on the pitch

Sorry Lags these threads move around a bit, on which thread may I comment now please? :censored: I just realised this thread had been finished for me!

Surely this one. You've made your point, you've asked for a refund. What more do you want to tell us?

Show my where I said you can't comment....it's a mere observation having absorbed what you had to say. I actually thought it was your full and final decision. Or is that not the case?

Just for the clarity, I haven't the authority to make such rules. Some folks hey stretch things somewhat.

Firstly you dates are wrong. Secondly, Im of Irish heritage and Legend means Legend.

Any more incorrect info you wish to lecture me with?