New Manager thread.

Our new manager called a member of the IRA a legend............3 months ago, he called someone who went to prison on terrorist offences a legend, someone who was caught with bombing making equipment and ammunition a legend, someone who was the head of the IRA in Derry a legend

I have never seen Rosler on twitter called any Nazi a legend!

This isn't political - THIS IS TERRORISM

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are the reason why someone is not going to go to watch Oldham, then they are very relevant. Some of the posters have explained in detail why for them hiring someone who is very pro Sinn Fein means they won't be going.

As I said eleswehere I'm neither a Unionist nor a Republician, so his politics don't matter to me, but I can see how it can matter sufficiently to others. The same way that a lot of sensible Oldham fans who were "happy" to sign Ched Evans could understand why that was the final straw for me and some others.

Very nicely put, sums up how I feel

I certainly don't mean to offend people or believe that I am bigoted

I do have somewhat of a military family connection and have heard first hand accounts of things in NI that would make you cry.

I won't post any more "political" comments but hope people understand that this is a legitimate and serious subject for many.

4 seat reservations cancelled after 30 years of holding a ST but enough is enough. I await Corneys bleating about whether the town deserves a club. The £1100 is a significant outlay for me personally, but I cannot continue to support this regime which has effectively killed any positivity created last week. The appointment of a man with such low standing within football baffles me, especially as the voice of experience will be provided by DH.

Corney will back his men which is admirable, but I cannot.

Whether you agree with his politics is a side issue, what is more of a concern is that due diligence should have identified the potential of this appointment to divide the fanbase and give cause for people to walk away in numbers, especially at a time that should have heralded a new dawn. The club officials are either blind, arrogant or simply do not care.

I hope he is a success, but a club that used to be regarded as a family club and at the heart of the community cannot of become more distant. It is clear that the business side of the club is to take precedent for the future. On that basis you can no longer loyally continue to throw good money away. I fully expect the key players to leave. How does a man who commands the response, "Who?" retain and attract quality players.

4 seat reservations cancelled after 30 years of holding a ST but enough is enough. I await Corneys bleating about whether the town deserves a club. The £1100 is a significant outlay for me personally, but I cannot continue to support this regime which has effectively killed any positivity created last week. The appointment of a man with such low standing within football baffles me, especially as the voice of experience will be provided by DH.

Whether you agree with his politics is a side issue, what is more of a concern is that due diligence should have identified the potential of this appointment to divide the fanbase and give cause for people to walk away in numbers, especially at a time that should have heralded a new dawn. The club officials are either blind, arrogant or simply do not care.

I hope he is a success, but a club that used to be regarded as a family club and at the heart of the community cannot of become more distant. It is clear that the business side of the club is to take precedent for the future. On that basis you can no longer loyally continue to throw good money away. I fully expect the key players to leave. How does a man who commands the response, "Who?" retain and attract quality players.

Who is buying them? None of them are worth anything at the current time.

We aren't in the market for quality players so that point is mute.

This 100%

Never seen such morbid tarts you support your team no matter what we are not some high flying premier team with great success we are a bog standard league one team get a grip...........

I love my club as much as the next man and I'd have thought I've been to more ground than you following them. It doesn't make you any more of a fan putting up with being treated shoddily.

Edited by longtimeblue

Never seen such morbid tarts you support your team no matter what we are not some high flying premier team with great success we are a bog standard league one team get a grip...........

Spend your money on a bog standard product, that's a great advertisment.

I'm in a fortunate position as I pay on the day due to work and family commitments plus distance I live from Oldham. However I probably spend more than a ST each season anyway. As said elsewhere, I'm disappointed but will continue to attend the same or more number of games as last season.

I fully understand why some don't wish to buy a ST based on this appointment. You would expect the owners to sign a recognised manager with a track record to keep the momentum going rather than an unknown that is more a risk than calculated decision. He could be the next Mourinho or the next Hockaday; who knows.

People pay for a ST with the hope of entertainment and some success using last season as a benchmark. If the decline to renew because they don't trust the new appointment then it's unfair throwing emotional blackmail at them that they should support the club rather than the manager.

If they return should the Kelly shine and succeed then they shouldn't be slagged off it commended for swallowing their pride and returning. The onus is on Kelly and the owners to convince those leaving us to return.

all this talk about the new manager

What about the source being so spectacularly wrong???????

Stay focused on the real issue people

Source telling me it's all agreed from Dowie's end with the directors. It's just waiting on Corney's signature when he's back here in midweek (28th Apr)

Latest from my source: Blitz and Corney now in the UK. Talks with Dowie and lawyers set to happen tonight... (30Apr)

Edited by Stagger Lee

I hope one of the journalists attending this afternoon's press conference has the courage to ask Corney some searching questions about the logic behind this decision and challenge the inevitable " we were blown away by his enthusiasm and ambition in the interview" mantra.

Because no matter how impressed the board are with Kelly, Corney needs to explain why this guy is worth risking another significant reduction in the already dwindling average attendance for.

Some of my family were Murdered by the Brits when northern Ireland was taken from the Irish people, and the land split up for Select British Gentry and that's without mentioning the milions who starved during the Great Irish famine, thanks to their British Landlords. Read some history.

Some of my family were Murdered by the Brits when northern Ireland was taken from the Irish people, and the land split up for Select British Gentry and that's without mentioning the milions who starved during the Great Irish famine, thanks to their British Landlords. Read some history.

F -0ff read some history yourself

The reason land was taken off the lords and landowners of Ulster was punishment because they sent over troops to fight against the ENGLISH PEOPLE IN THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR. Trouble is they choose the wrong side and lost. Payback is a bitch eh.

Now stop posting selective history and either learn the full story or don't bother at all. Both sides have done wrong from the start and it's counterproductive to imply one side is in the wrong unless you want us to live life like the middle east!

I am still awaiting someone to tell us they've actually asked the man rather than all this winding each other up into a frenzy.

One things for sure, NI is still deeply divided, so what's that got to do with Oldham Athletic and English football?

I think we'd all be surprised who actually is pally with McGuinness these days. I mean hells bells even Paisley was his best buddy in the end.

The revenue from the new stand doesn't kick in until the season after next

I'm on about the sports direct sponsorship deal that Corney said would allow us to compete with the top teams in the league.

1 year deal is a good thing, means we can get rid cheaper if he doesn't pan out and also means he has to prove himself to get it renewed / extended

After a nights sleep i think this appointment could be a very good one for us.

Roll on August

I am still awaiting someone to tell us they've actually asked the man rather than all this winding each other up into a frenzy.

One things for sure, NI is still deeply divided, so what's that got to do with Oldham Athletic and English football?

I think we'd all be surprised who actually is pally with McGuinness these days. I mean hells bells even Paisley was his best buddy in the end.

I mentioned it to him last night...I asked if he wouldn't mind separating his politics from football. He told me he wasn't political in anyway. I then mentioned the photo and the legend comment and that it's in the public domain and latics fans are aware of it.

So now he knows it's out there, it's up to him and the club how they manage the situation if any questions are asked

Chron reports.....

- Down to last 3 for Notts County job.

- Interviewed for role at Bolton.

- Applied and got our job.

....I make an assumption that they weren't the only ones. When did he actually have time to do any coaching at Sunderland? I'd be well fooked off if I'd given him a job and all he spent his time doing was looking for another one.