New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blair is worse, hes a war criminal.

so as it stands, just from today, anyone who had on their twitter a message about blair ( and im assuming anyone from his cabinet), mcguinness or someone from the royal family would have stopped you going

Wow...you are away from the forum for a few days and it goes crazy.

Read some, but not all of the posts on here and some interesting debate / reactions. For me I think that I would say the following:

(1) I can understand some of the comments and reactions to the Twitter posts, and people that have been more directly impacted by the troubles will be less likely to see the positive side of things than those (like myself) who only ever really saw it from afar through the media.

For me people have to be able to move on from the past (if not forgive and forget) and accept that people on both sides of the conflict have put away the previous methods and adopted a legitimate democratic system. If we don't do this then we will be doomed to repeat our previous failings and problems.

For the most part I think the level of negative reaction about this aspect of DK is more to do with peoples frustrations overall with the appointment rather than this issue itself, but it offers a useful stick to beat the club with and give a greater sense of justification for the anti-DK sentiements.

(2) There is an obvious level of anti-climax from the appointment after the time and number of applicants discussed over the last 4 months.

I think that SC and the board have to accept some responsibility for that because press releases mentioning names such as Scholes, Gattuso, Dowie etc were always going to raise peoples expectations of a "name" and then failing to deliver was always going to be an issue. Handled differently we would have seen a different reaction from fans I think.

(3) On to the appointee himself. Well I'll be honest it's not one that overwhelms you is it?

But then I have asked myself what would have? Being realistic we are only ever in line for a couple of types of manager:

An experienced manager with success but more recently a few failures (Ronnie Moore; Dave Penny; Talbot are recent examples of these at Latics) which I doubt would have generated any massive positivity. The exception to this would have been Dowie, who was a popular character whilst at Latics but I would have some significant caution about his track record since / time out of the game / and how I feel he behaved at the time of his departure (never begrudged him leaving in the circumstanaces - but begrudged his two faced approach to communications at the time).

An inexperienced newbie manager but a name that we have heard off (Graham Sharp; Andy Ritchie; John Sheridan; Paul Dickov). These are the types of names that might have 'put a few bums on seats'. Gattuso, Scholes and the BP1960 rumoured 'Premiership striker' guesses are options. But in real terms (other than having heard of them) would they actually be any good? Not sure that all / any of them are that qualified and would probably need to start taking badges etc.

An inexperienced newbie manager that we haven't really heard off, but has taken positive steps to demonstrate they are committed to the game and role by taking the badges etc. LJ was the only example of that I can think of and whilst not a unqualified success did have some positive impact on the club and probably the first manager in a long while we have lost without sacking him.

My preference for a manager at a club like Oldham is always going to be in the latter 2 categories. I like the idea of a hungry newbie with ideas to try and prove, and with genuine ethusiasm that can rub off on the team and club.

My preference is also for someone that has taken it seriously enough to have put the time and effort in to earn the badges etc. Whilst qualifications are not an absolute definitive requirement to be a good manager, I cannot see any downside from having taken them and demonstrated a committment to your career - you also get a chance to learn and share thoughts with a group of similar people which will no doubt improve and widen your skill sets.

Finally, my preference would be for someone that has a background in the game that can give players, potential players and fans soemthing to think that can bring to the club (contacts, experience of playing situations that players will repsect and learn from).

In these terms, DK meets the first two criteria but not the last. His background does look a little weak and we'd be guessing at the level of contacts he has. He is not an appointment that is going to get people excited, and that is something the club must have been aware of and could have handled better.

A statement that said something along the lines of what we are really focused on is employing another young qualified manager, who is hungry to prove themselve and help develop out club - would have set expectaitons far better than the list of 'names' dropped to the press.

I try to console myself by looking at some of the more successful young managers around and whether I remember them being successful 'names' as players or not - there are a good few that I cannot recall being anyone I'd have been anything other than non-plussed about if we'd appointed them for their first job.

I will say one thing on the subject (and I have been quite for a bit) - I had a right go on this forum when they appointed one Lee Johnson (young, no experience - you are joking etc. etc.) and I ended up eating humble pie - so my view is Darren Kelly I guess you have the qualifications and some experience coaching at a PL Club and the Chairman (who is a good chairman in my view) would have done his due diligence - so good luck to you and welcome to BP - enjoy the ride :-))

Edited by Stoney

Apologies if this has been done... for interest only....

Darren Kelly English Playing Stats;

Year - Team - League - Apps - Goals - Yellows - Reds

2002/03 - Carlisle United - 4th Tier - 42 - 1 - 16 -1

2003/04 - Carlisle United - 4th Tier - 12 - 1 - 5 - 0

2007/08 - York City - 5th Tier - 30 - 2 - 2 -0

2008/09 - York City - 5th Tier - 8 - 0 - 1 - 0

He played in front of 50k people at the Millenium Stadium as Carlisle lost 2-0 to Bristol City in the Football League Trophy Final in the 2002/03 season. En route to the final, Carlisle [as they often have] knocked us out on the way, with a team that included both Kelly and Leon Osman, of Everton fame.

Tues 22nd Oct 2002, Boundary Park

Latics 3 Carlisle 4

Attendance 2,281

Oldham v Carlisle

D Miskelly - M Glennon

W Haining (F Hall 57) - B Shelley

C Hill - D Kelly [booked]

J Baudet (M Clegg 21) - M Taylor

A Carss (J Eyre 40) - P Murphy

D Sheridan - M Magennis (C Farrell 54)

S Vernon - W McDonagh (R Baldacchino 31)

C Armstrong - M Summerbell

C Killen - L Osman

W Andrews - B McGill

L Da Silva - J Sutton (B Wake 76)

Subs not used

A Griffin - M Jack

L Pogliacomi - M Birch

Edited by lookersstandandy

Apologies if this has been done... for interest only....

Darren Kelly English Playing Stats;

Year - Team - League - Apps - Goals - Yellows - Reds

2002/03 - Carlisle United - 4th Tier - 42 - 1 - 16 -1

2003/04 - Carlisle United - 4th Tier - 12 - 1 - 5 - 0

2007/08 - York City - 5th Tier - 30 - 2 - 2 -0

2008/09 - York City - 5th Tier - 8 - 0 - 1 - 0

He played in front of 50k people at the Millenium Stadium as Carlisle lost 2-0 to Bristol City in the Football League Trophy Final in the 2002/03 season. En route to the final, Carlisle [as they often have] knocked us out on the way, with a team that included both Kelly and Leon Osman, of Everton fame.

==============

I would say that career is on a par with another manager - Jose Mourinho

wonder what he went on to do !!!

You do realise Mcguiness cut all ties with the IRA over 40 years ago and he's now a mainstream politician. And the word 'legend' actually means cheers/thanks most of the time in Ireland. How do you know for certain he's a terroist sympathiser, have you asked him?

What a load of manure - 'cut all ties'

Mr McGuinness was convicted of IRA membership by the Republic of Ireland's Special Criminal Court in 1973 after being caught with a car containing 250lb (113kg) of explosives and nearly 5,000 rounds of ammunition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/9358634/Martin-McGuinness-from-convicted-terrorist-to-political-establishment.html

Ed Moloney, a historian of the IRA, says Mr McGuinness was its chief of staff from February 1978 to the autumn of 1982. Subsequently, said Moloney, he was the IRA’s adjutant-general, commander of Northern Command and chairman of the Army Council: top leadership roles throughout the Provos’ most savage years.

Patrick Byrne, a former Garda commissioner, told the Sunday Telegraph: "I am surprised at Martin McGuinness’s assertion that he stood down from the Provisional IRA in 1974. I dealt directly with counter-terrorism from 1972 to 1992. McGuinness was a key man in the organisation.”

Anthony Macintyre, a former IRA prisoner who served 18 years for murdering a member of the Ulster Volunteer Force, said Mr McGuinness’s denials “don’t stand up to any form of scrutiny”

Mr McGuinness was convicted of IRA membership by the Republic of Ireland's Special Criminal Court in 1973 after being caught with a car containing 250lb (113kg) of explosives and nearly 5,000 rounds of ammunition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northernireland/9358634/Martin-McGuinness-from-convicted-terrorist-to-political-establishment.html

Ed Moloney, a historian of the IRA, says Mr McGuinness was its chief of staff from February 1978 to the autumn of 1982. Subsequently, said Moloney, he was the IRAs adjutant-general, commander of Northern Command and chairman of the Army Council: top leadership roles throughout the Provos most savage years.

Patrick Byrne, a former Garda commissioner, told the Sunday Telegraph: "I am surprised at Martin McGuinnesss assertion that he stood down from the Provisional IRA in 1974. I dealt directly with counter-terrorism from 1972 to 1992. McGuinness was a key man in the organisation.

Anthony Macintyre, a former IRA prisoner who served 18 years for murdering a member of the Ulster Volunteer Force, said Mr McGuinnesss denials dont stand up to any form of scrutiny

So 23 years then if 92 is the last date. If he follows the same path as Mandela that's about 12 years till he receives the Nobel Peace prize. Won't look so bad then will it.

I think it's safe to say, the Oldham Athletic most of us fell in love with has deceased and been replaced.

For all the people criticising the people not wanting to go anymore please remember that we don't owe Oldham Athletic anything, we go only for enjoyment, if you are no longer getting enjoyment from it you are absolutely within your rights to not go. Do people not understand that this decision is born out of utter frustration!

....if you are no longer getting enjoyment from it you are absolutely within your rights to not go.....

I enjoy the company of my fellow Latics fans and friends. It would be nice if the team played well and competed too..... but it's not a imperative in order for me to attend.

Ed Moloney, a historian of the IRA, says Mr McGuinness was its chief of staff from February 1978 to the autumn of 1982. Subsequently, said Moloney, he was the IRAs adjutant-general, commander of Northern Command and chairman of the Army Council: top leadership roles throughout the Provos most savage years.

Patrick Byrne, a former Garda commissioner, told the Sunday Telegraph: "I am surprised at Martin McGuinnesss assertion that he stood down from the Provisional IRA in 1974. I dealt directly with counter-terrorism from 1972 to 1992. McGuinness was a key man in the organisation.

Anthony Macintyre, a former IRA prisoner who served 18 years for murdering a member of the Ulster Volunteer Force, said Mr McGuinnesss denials dont stand up to any form of scrutiny

It's quite difficult to end a a war by signing a peace deal with the local flower arrangers.

Been said before mourinho went on to learn from a great great man.....

No mention of the Les Parry, Steve Eyre or the Dave Hockadays of this world...

For every Mourinho, there are dozens of the others.

But I hope all concerns are unfounded.

Edited by singe

I think it's safe to say, the Oldham Athletic most of us fell in love with has deceased and been replaced.

For all the people criticising the people not wanting to go anymore please remember that we don't owe Oldham Athletic anything, we go only for enjoyment, if you are no longer getting enjoyment from it you are absolutely within your rights to not go. Do people not understand that this decision is born out of utter frustration!

and visa verca Oldham Athletic owe you nothing. they produce a product which you dont have to buy.

I love Oldham Athletic, they didnt die they are just going through a different phase. Is it like when i first fell for her? is it hell.......

She moans, her tits sag although the boob job should be ready for the new season. She rarley excites me like she used to to but i still love her. I cant help it

Edited by palmer1

and that is the bit many younger supporters or those that are true fanatics cant see for some reason. As I think Blue Guru alluded to if you dont go for whatever reason it becomes easier to continue not going. The void filled with other stuff for all sorts of reasons. Unless the club doing consistently well or really seen to be making an effort you are likely to pick and choose games when the team usually fluff the script. As Lags says its in your blood or not but not going is sometimes just started by frustration.

An odd poke in ribs from Simon Corney or others on club board only alienate. If a product is :censored: enough for long enough it fails and unless that is recognised and changes made the product will cease to exist. Non of us want that who read or post on here. If Kelly is the man to change this good on him. Will he beonly time will tell. The blown away bit is what fans want ON THE PITCH...not via a powerpoint.

I enjoy the company of my fellow Latics fans and friends. It would be nice if the team played well and competed too..... but it's not a imperative in order for me to attend.

The flip side to all of this is a lot of people who are thinking about having a season off or picking & choosing games can very easily be brought back onside by an exciting signing or managerial appointment.

Especially combined with the completion of the new stand - the club could have had a double boost to season ticket sales and pay on the day revenue.

With the enthusiasm that was around just a week ago I know several people who were seriously considering a season ticket for the first time in a long time. Getting the "right" manager would have sealed the deal.

Instead, this has put the kibosh on them buying one and even resulted in people who would have renewed not doing so.

But should all that stop SC making what he thinks is the right long term footballing decision in appointing who he thinks is the best man for the job?

We moan that football has become too much of a business then moan when it's not treated enough like a business :lol:

I just worry this may turn out to be the only season we could have pushed the boat out a bit with a pretty much certain increase in ST's and attendances to offset the extra cost...

Edited by HarryBosch

This for me, social football, if it was down to the football only there wouldn't be so many there.

As earlier product on pitch has to be of high enough quality to win back people who have drifted away for all sorts of reasons and that over a longer period to keep them. Some people put the footy higher up the priority order than others and for some like my son and I other stuff kicks in and you go less. Plenty of great fans to meet if you go but frankly its not bothered me as much as I thought it would having attended for 52 years as associate it with older friends of whom perhaps 4 out of 20 still go.

Understood. Which was why I was offering the observation that the group of friends I attend with is different some 20+ years on from when I first attended. I run with the theory that the product is only likely to be better if I attend when I can.

It's quite difficult to end a a war by signing a peace deal with the local flower arrangers.

Very true LeesLover

And credit to many on BOTH sides for having the ability to push for peace for the greater good of the people they serve. I do not have that same capacity of forgiveness but I have learned to STFU and not go out of the way to pick at the scab that covers the divide.

So when some one comes into my world (and yes latics are a major part of that) and makes his support of a terrorist known It leaves me upset. No I am not going to stop supporting the club in disgust but it does hurt me. Not so much Kelly oddly enough, a product probably of his environment growing up, but from the directors of Oldham itself for doing so little research for such an important position in my club. Or, worse still, doing the research and thinking so little of peoples feelings and how Kelly's views might upset them.

Surely this one. You've made your point, you've asked for a refund. What more do you want to tell us?

Show my where I said you can't comment....it's a mere observation having absorbed what you had to say.

I never said that I had asked for a refund. What I did say was that 3 of us decided after the game on Sunday to buy RRE season tickets but have now agreed not to do so after the cheap managerial appointment therefore costing the clubs cashflow £1000 this month. I suggested that we were not the only ones!

You did try to tell me to stop posting even though you didnt understand the point.

I never said that I would not be going, just that my money was staying in my pocket for now and Mr Corney shouldnt moan about it!