Press conference

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep shoot for the stars and land in the gutter...

I'd rather he shoots for the moon and missed rather than aimed for the ground and hit.

While the attacking football that some are craving for is great it's not a big thing for me. Football is about winning and their are lots of different ways of doing it.if we see 150 goals at BP next season but only finish 15th then we've gone nowhere. Yet if we win 25 games 1-0 and draw another 15 0-0 we will have 90 points which will get us at the very worst a top 4 finish.

If we can do it by attacking then great if we can't then grind it out or take the chess match strategic approach but it's all about winning and we won't sack a winning manager.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Ive watched it, im still not particularly happy with the appointment but will be going for my 3 season tickets next week, it was never in doubt that i wouldnt buy them to be honest. He applied for a job and he was given it, its not his fault, so he at least deserves a chance to suceed. This isnt new to us we had a very similar reaction when judas came in.

He came across better than I thought he would.

It's not easy to resist the temptation to scratch one's nose, tug on ears, adjust shirt sleeves etc. in these circumstances and he managed pretty well - shows a possible steely resolve.

And it's almost a sort of relief NOT having Dowie (or such) installed in the hot seat, imagine the pressure of expectation and then the wailing and gnashing of teeth if the results didn't follow?

I'd rather he shoots for the moon and missed rather than aimed for the ground and hit.

While the attacking football that some are craving for is great it's not a big thing for me. Football is about winning and their are lots of different ways of doing it.if we see 150 goals at BP next season but only finish 15th then we've gone nowhere. Yet if we win 25 games 1-0 and draw another 15 0-0 we will have 90 points which will get us at the very worst a top 4 finish.

If we can do it by attacking then great if we can't then grind it out or take the chess match strategic approach but it's all about winning and we won't sack a winning manager.

If we score 150 goals next season we will be up for sure. I want this creative attacking football he talks about, we have seen enough boring football these last couple few years.

Whether its all talk we won't know until we see his team in action.

Edited by BP1960

I'm warming to him. If he can produce what he promises, we just might be ok. Or even better than ok. I did like the bit where he said he would make the decisions, although DH will have input. He looked relaxed and answered everything put to him. Couldn't ask for much more from a first presser.

As an aside, is it me or did the expression on Barry's fizzog make him look like a better dressed Compo out of Last of the Summer Wine? Christ, he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

I'm warming to him. If he can produce what he promises, we just might be ok. Or even better than ok. I did like the bit where he said he would make the decisions, although DH will have input. He looked relaxed and answered everything put to him. Couldn't ask for much more from a first presser.

As an aside, is it me or did the expression on Barry's fizzog make him look like a better dressed Compo out of Last of the Summer Wine? Christ, he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

Yes that bit encouraged me, as for Barry he looked ready to chuck out anyone who asked a question not in the script.

It will be a tough call for him to produce what he promises, he can put everything into practice and training but when the players get out on the pitch there is only so much he can do. I can see the reasons SC has appointed him, cheap, could be the type to bring the youth through, if he can get the doubters on his side early doors this could be an inspired appointment.

Good luck Darren.

Edited by disjointed

If we score 150 goals next season we will be up for sure. I want this creative attacking football he talks about, we have seen enough boring football these last couple few years.

Whether its all talk we won't know until we see his team in action.

When I said 150 goals I meant seeing them alltogether at both ends, but regardless even if we score 150 goals it will mean rock all if we concede 170 and end up finishing 15th again

But my point is we have seen all differnet kinds of teams get promoted out of this division some take an expansive attacking game some will get a goal and shut up shop.

The only thing people are bored off is the lack of progress another season finishing between 14th to 18th will simply not do, If we can do this by being an attacking team great but if we cant go to plan B and grind it out.

There's just one thing I can't get my head round, and this isn't a dig at anyone on here; it's a genuine thought. There's a fair old assumption that SC only goes for the cheap option, eg Dickov, LJ. Unless anyone knows how much DK's being paid versus Uncle Tom Cobley and all's demands, it can only be pure speculation. The other names that were bandied about, namely Ashworth, Yates and DH himself, may well have been less expensive than DK. Simple truth is, we don't know. Do we?

There's just one thing I can't get my head round, and this isn't a dig at anyone on here; it's a genuine thought. There's a fair old assumption that SC only goes for the cheap option, eg Dickov, LJ. Unless anyone knows how much DK's being paid versus Uncle Tom Cobley and all's demands, it can only be pure speculation. The other names that were bandied about, namely Ashworth, Yates and DH himself, may well have been less expensive than DK. Simple truth is, we don't know. Do we?

I think by the cheap option, most are not comparing Kelly, Ashworth, Yates or Holden as I would have thought they were pretty much bracketed the same. But to compare this lot against a Dowie or Adkins or similar, then IMO they dont even come close, but as you say we dont know.

40 games conceding 0 goals would be a hell of an achievement - lets go for it. Expect some Italian defenders in.

Thought Kelly came across ok to be honest. Still getting used to the Martin McGuiness #legend quote but I am told the term legend is often used to say thanks in Ireland rather than a legend that you idolise.

Bought my season ticket for next season today so hopefully the new management team will be a success.

Got to say Barry Owen looked quite menacing sat there, one step out of line from the assembled press and he would fly into action.

They're almost ready.....

I'm an Irish Oldham supporter.. Followed them for years due to family ties.. I find the comments and pictures on this site and on the Facebook page very worrying.. I hope the supporters aren't going down some NF/anti Irish road, I would hate to stop supporting the club. The Irish peace process has been incredibly successful.. It has included individuals from all sides,, loyalist, republican, British, Irish. Leave the politics there.. Concentrate on the football.

C13BF5C4-3F66-488A-910C-E13B4A8382D1_zps

He came across better than I thought he would.

It's not easy to resist the temptation to scratch one's nose, tug on ears, adjust shirt sleeves etc. in these circumstances and he managed pretty well - shows a possible steely resolve.

And it's almost a sort of relief NOT having Dowie (or such) installed in the hot seat, imagine the pressure of expectation and then the wailing and gnashing of teeth if the results didn't follow?

Yeah why go for somebody that MIGHT piss people off IF he gets it wrong when we can just go for somebody who pisses half the fans off before hes even started.

Wow.

Just had time to watch the Press Briefing on LP. My god that is the most tinpot, unprofessional thing I've seen.

The owner pissing about on his phone and putting it away like a school kid being told off as the other 3 clowns walk in, Barry Blatter sat there with his :censored:ing arms folded looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp and - although I like that it is short and sweet - it's the unveiling of our new manager and you can tell the club just wanted to get it out of the way quickly as they're embarrassed themselves by their idiotic appointment.

Our boardroom isn't the biggest; I was amazed just how small it was when I attended the season just gone. All looked cramped with the board and manager sat in the alcove between the toilets and stairway down to managers office and pitch.

It'll be far more professional when the north stand is open and such events can be held in a much larger, purpose built location.

It's unfair to criticise as it's the best we have. I do question what Owen adds to the board but Corney believes he does and Corney pays the bills. However, we are what we are; a league one club with league two facilities at the moment. Things will start to change next season and you can't fault the commitment off the pitch to move us forward.

They're almost ready.....

I'm an Irish Oldham supporter.. Followed them for years due to family ties.. I find the comments and pictures on this site and on the Facebook page very worrying.. I hope the supporters aren't going down some NF/anti Irish road, I would hate to stop supporting the club. The Irish peace process has been incredibly successful.. It has included individuals from all sides,, loyalist, republican, British, Irish. Leave the politics there.. Concentrate on the football. C13BF5C4-3F66-488A-910C-E13B4A8382D1_zps

Lighten up