Players linked with us

Not been impressed by Mantack if I'm honest, for a start he has the wrong attitude and gives the impression that he thinks he's a lot better than he is, struggles to concentrate at times and still gets found out positionally even at the lower level, he's miles behind Edmondson and in my opinion nowhere near first team football at League 1 level, not bad going forward but plenty to work on, I've watched Stott twice for Curzon and he's settled in well at that level, very good in the air and strong for his age he could turn into a decent player.

Didn't Ferdinand regularly score against us...?

four in 6 games in the top flight including a free kick that burst through the net through the back of the Chaddy End and is still travelling.....shame it was in a 4-1 defeat for them...

2 in our 3-2 defeat in Dec '92

1 in our 2-0 defeat Dec '93

and 1 in our 4-1 win April '94

Edited by oafcprozac

four in 6 games in the top flight including a free kick that burst through the net through the back of the Chaddy End and is still travelling.....shame it was in a 4-1 defeat for them...

Remember that 4-1 win felt really optimistic at that point. We were on a good run of form since the turn of the year sitting clear of the relegation places in the Premier League and had an FA cup semi final against what would be a depleted Man United at Wembley to look forward too what could possibly go wrong.........

I agree with you there, however if Edmundson did well in this division, be it only 5 matches or so, you'd see his value rocket. If they're willing to pay £150k for a lad who's only played in the Conference then what would they pay for a lad who's played well in League 1..?

He played 3 times last season according to Soccerbase (I thought it was more?) and did well. Ridiculous we've been playing Burgess instead of him.

Not only a good, solid defender but a natural leader like Tarky was. Really nice lad aswell, probably great to have around the squad...

Does my :censored:ing head in :censored:e like this..

Andre Kanchelskis.

Bobby Davison for Derby and Leeds

Kanchelskis? Only in two games in 93/94 - although he he ripped us a new one in that replay. If only Pointon had kicked him into the stand like he did in the first minute at BP in March '93. I swear he was hiding next to me in the Lookers Paddock at one point. In fact he went and got the brews in...

He played 3 times last season according to Soccerbase (I thought it was more?) and did well. Ridiculous we've been playing Burgess instead of him.

Not only a good, solid defender but a natural leader like Tarky was. Really nice lad aswell, probably great to have around the squad...

There's no plan Harry, and won't be until we get new owners. The challenge is to spend as little as possible and finish 20th. The crowd should be baying for blood instead we vote with our feet or get told there's no alternative. There is an alternative to say ':censored: it' and walk away. Picking and choosing my games is getting easier - as you say :censored:e like this does your head in - me too mate, me too. We should have a horrible bastard in charge instead we've got nice guy Robbozzzzzz and his two holding midfielders at home. if Corney can bag another £150k for a prospect that's likely to be worth much more than yet again we are seeing the short terms :censored: that is killing the club. No doubt it'll be used for the :censored: load of trial lists and loanees that arrive in January and probably to pay off another weak as piss manager.

Who knows he may take another selfie with an apologist when he's paying the money into the club's account?

Edited by oafcprozac

With Corney's frugal nature and penchant for cashing in on a youngster it baffles me that he doesn't place more emphasis on bringing youth players into the first team.

6 decent months out of a youngster who could potentially be anything on £300 a week, or less, who can quickly be sold must surely be better for all concerned in numerous ways than paying a never will be £800/£1000 a week to be largely :censored:e....

These lads could probably muster half a :censored: for the club aswell with it being their first gig...

With Corney's frugal nature and penchant for cashing in on a youngster it baffles me that he doesn't place more emphasis on bringing youth players into the first team.

6 decent months out of a youngster who could potentially be anything on £300 a week, or less, who can quickly be sold must surely be better for all concerned in numerous ways than paying a never will be £800/£1000 a week to be largely :censored:e....

These lads could probably muster half a :censored: for the club aswell with it being their first gig...

It's be easier to swallow the :censored: sandwich we are being fed if it was with 'our' players. I couldn't give a monkeys about loanees and short term deals. They aren't my team they are simply keeping the shirt warm until the next batch arrive. It isn't Oldham Athletic any more. You can say that all teams have a revolving door policy but if anyone had the time I bet our turn over of players since Blitz walked is the highest in the 92 and by some distance. I'd like to see how many players we've sold over the last couple of years too.

I always thought our lowest ebb was the Ritchie years, but I'd give my left bollock to have a team playing for the shirt at one with the fans with a management team that were Latics through and through. Instead we get Jonny clipboard coaching badges in charge with couldn't give a :censored: generic loanee and it has killed it for me and hundreds of others. The club are barely existing with no vision of how to move out of the mess the board has overseen over the last 5 years.

Edited by oafcprozac

He also scored on our 3-1 win at Loftus Rd 91/92

Couldn't agree more. I hate seeing our good prospect youths being farmed out on loan. I've been singing Edmunsons praises for a while alongside many others that watch the youths - from equal amount of viewing he's better than Burgess, frustrates me far too much.

Couldn't agree more. I hate seeing our good prospect youths being farmed out on loan. I've been singing Edmunsons praises for a while alongside many others that watch the youths - from equal amount of viewing he's better than Burgess, frustrates me far too much.

I rate Edmundson as a prospect but the fact he's on loan in the National league has to be telling. That said i don't sign up to the Burgess bashing either, he's been part of a fairly (for the most part) solid defence......

What kills me is that we don't get the opportunity to see them properly develop in a Latics shirt.

How enjoyable was that half a season of watching Tarky come good? Not that Edmundson would be that level, but there's definitely a greater satisfaction from watching your own lads succeed. The hysteria around Winchester when he was in form under Johnson, Coleman when he gained some confidence at the back end of last season...

That's what it's about in my book...

The only thing that would make Burgess a better (more sensible) pick is that he seems to prefer playing on the left side of a central pair. Beyond that, I don't see an awful lot in him so why we're playing a part in his development at the expensive of one of our own is infuriating. If this policy was offset with a decent set of results then I'd be happy, but it's not. Watching a player, who is only around short term, block the path of one we should be trying to develop of money and be less than accomplished himself is, as ever, fairly :censored:.

I rate Edmundson as a prospect but the fact he's on loan in the National league has to be telling. That said i don't sign up to the Burgess bashing either, he's been part of a fairly (for the most part) solid defence......

I didn't mean it to cone across as "Burgess bashing". He's ok.

So is Edmundson though but he's ours and he's arguably got more improvement in him than Burgess who's had years of higher level coaching and a good amount of league football here and at Cheltenham

Edmundson could well have improved considerably learning from someone like Peter Clarke, and from what I've seen from Burgess so far id rather have taken the Edmundson route.

But let's not worry, Corney will snap £150k from the hands of Sunderland, and use it to pay debts and maybe bring in another disinterested, bang average loanee.