Brian Wilson Allowed To Leave

I presume you never saw much of Kelvin Lomax then.

Lomax did okay for a short spell filling in for Eardley. He also played left back for a short while and wasn't too bad. Now Michael Clegg (shudder).....also, i missed most of his performances, but wasn't Jim Goodwin absolutely terrible as well?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lomax did okay for a short spell filling in for Eardley. He also played left back for a short while and wasn't too bad. Now Michael Clegg (shudder).....also, i missed most of his performances, but wasn't Jim Goodwin absolutely terrible as well?

It's all about opinions, but for me I never saw Lomax do okay or be not too bad, I just thought he was always dire tbh.

Brown and Wilson are at a similar level, both average/low league one players. Which is exactly our level, certainly budget-wise. As Brown is likely to be cheaper and improved last year whereas Wilson declined and is likely to continue to do so, it makes sense to keep Brown and let Wilson go.

This is OWTB. Stop talking complete sense!

Still baffles me that 3rd division full backs can stir such deep seated passions in grown men. Going back to Barlow through Makin, Eardley, Griffin, Tierney and now Brown and Wilson. We've had absolute dross in many positions, strikers, keepers, midfielders yet they don't get half the scrutiny as those in the wider positions at the back do.

Pedantic me wishes to point out that neither Barlow nor Makin played at this level for us. In fact Makin may have only played top flight for us.

There may be some serious observational bias involved too, full backs are often nearest the crowd so they can come under magnified scrutiny for that. Their errors are often costly at the time, as opposed to costly in hindsight at the end of the game. A lot of those players mentioned have also come through our ranks, so there may be added pressure on them to perform, as some fans will have seen them progress up through the ranks.

Regarding Lomax, didn't Shez say that he was the most technically gifted footballer at the club? Or something along those lines. Or maybe it wasn't Shez, but one manager did.

If we'd tried him in central midfield we'd have gone up from this godforsaken league a long time ago.

Kangana Lord N'Diwa was by far and away the worst player to have played for Latics in my lifetime of supporting the club, and there are hundreds of others that have played that are much worse than Brian Wilson.

This..... I've always been convinced he was one of those fake footballers. He literally didn't look like he'd ever played the game before.