New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Really? Brian Flynn didn't do too badly at Wrexham. 10+ years in the job suggests some sort of success.

I'd rather have a Bunn or an Adams. Dickov is a proven poor manager, including when working with a DoF.

It was Brian Horton was his assistant. Dickov replaced Flynn

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Brian Flynn didn't do too badly at Wrexham. 10+ years in the job suggests some sort of success.

I'd rather have a Bunn or an Adams. Dickov is a proven poor manager, including when working with a DoF.

Poor seems like a harsh assessment.

Put whatever wage we'd pay Dickov towards a decent striker and give it O'Driscoll.

Pointless having both in our financial situation.

Spot on it doesn't make any sense at all just give SoD the job Edited by yarddogs

Poor seems like a harsh assessment.

Perhaps, but we were probably going down when he left. Average at very very best. Doncaster you'd probably argue he did a poor job.

And as Sinnott said before, glass eye football...without the results to offset it.

Lovely bloke, like.

Edited by NewBlue

Perhaps, but we were probably going down when he left. Average at very very best. Doncaster you'd probably argue he did a poor job.

And as Sinnott said before, glass eye football...without the results to offset it.

Lovely bloke, like.

Came within a whisker of staying in Championship, that happens and he probably isn't on our radar.

He wouldn't be my choice but think most of us would agree that man management and recruitment are strengths of his and that might be more important at the moment than getting someone who's a master coach - we have to have a manager in place this week and it has to be one who can hit the ground running.

Came within a whisker of staying in Championship, that happens and he probably isn't on our radar.

Considering O'Driscoll and Evans have done so and were on our radar I doubt that. Not to mention the teams below Doncaster were Yeovil and Barnsley. Hardly heavyweights.

O'Driscoll and Dickov may well enjoy a happy and successful marriage. You may also be right about familiarity with the club, but that is a very small basis to appoint a manager on. End of the day, we've seen already that recruitment is nothing if you can't manage them.

Edited by NewBlue

He wouldn't be my choice but think most of us would agree that man management and recruitment are strengths of his and that might be more important at the moment than getting someone who's a master coach - we have to have a manager in place this week and it has to be one who can hit the ground running.

I generally think you're a good poster on here, but you're on a wind up about this aren't you..?

My initial reaction is one of disappointment. He ultimately failed here and again at Doncaster so there's no evidence to suggest that he can turn our fortunes around.

On the plus side he'll have learnt a fair bit and will be more experienced. He was like a breath of fresh air when he arrived first time around so if he can recreate that again we'll not complain too much.

Not my choice by any means but along with O'Driscoll as DOF It might just work....I suppose we could do a lot worse!

This just demonstrates how clueless the board are. 102 applicants this time I understand...102! Time before it was something like 70 and they chose Darren Kelly.

This time they were in talks with Steve Evans. I commend their ambition at this juncture but can you honestly say Evans applied? Of course he didn't so he was effectively a wild card - one that was brought to the boards attention. It was confirmed that they had three candidates in the recruitment process so the question is why not continue that process with the three they chose?

No disrespect to our club but O'Driscoll wouldn't have applied so another wild card. At this juncture I don't commend the clubs ambition because O'Driscoll hasn't ripped up trees in recent appointments and is another name outside our scope and one the club are chasing their tails on.

Director of Football? WTF? Where's that money come from? Even more laughable is suggestion that Dickov is part of the O'Driscoll dream team. Now I liked Dickov off the field with his unity to our club but he struggled on it and struggled at Doncaster so what has materialised to change the boards opinion that Dickov is the answer now when he wasn't their answer previously? Admittedly you can say same of Sheridan but Sheridan left under the dog-gate cloud and not what he achieved in the pitch.

So...this brings me back to this 102 applicants. it would be great to see this list because if our budget has been boosted to secure Evans then surely the end result must now be better than O'Driscoll and Dickov partnership?

I'm afraid the whole episode dragging on more than a week after Evans said no emphasises the incompetence of our board and I wouldn't trust then to organise a children's tea party let alone our next managerial appointment and our strategy on-field for the next two to three seasons.

This just demonstrates how clueless the board are. 102 applicants this time I understand...102! Time before it was something like 70 and they chose Darren Kelly.

This time they were in talks with Steve Evans. I commend their ambition at this juncture but can you honestly say Evans applied? Of course he didn't so he was effectively a wild card - one that was brought to the boards attention. It was confirmed that they had three candidates in the recruitment process so the question is why not continue that process with the three they chose?

No disrespect to our club but O'Driscoll wouldn't have applied so another wild card. At this juncture I don't commend the clubs ambition because O'Driscoll hasn't ripped up trees in recent appointments and is another name outside our scope and one the club are chasing their tails on.

Director of Football? WTF? Where's that money come from? Even more laughable is suggestion that Dickov is part of the O'Driscoll dream team. Now I liked Dickov off the field with his unity to our club but he struggled on it and struggled at Doncaster so what has materialised to change the boards opinion that Dickov is the answer now when he wasn't their answer previously? Admittedly you can say same of Sheridan but Sheridan left under the dog-gate cloud and not what he achieved in the pitch.

So...this brings me back to this 102 applicants. it would be great to see this list because if our budget has been boosted to secure Evans then surely the end result must now be better than O'Driscoll and Dickov partnership?

I'm afraid the whole episode dragging on more than a week after Evans said no emphasises the incompetence of our board and I wouldn't trust then to organise a children's tea party let alone our next managerial appointment and our strategy on-field for the next two to three seasons.

How the hell can you say SoD and Evans didn't apply, do you have a list of the 102 applicants of yours?

Whoever we appoint, I hope Shirtliff stays. Yes Gerrard was a massive leader and character, but a quite remarkable turnaround in our defence - crucial to us staying up with all the 1-0 wins - can be timed with when 'second-choice Shirtliff' arrived...

Is that fact, or FACT? Or supposition? If the latter, you've destroyed your whole argument. So, do you know for certain that Evans didn't, and O'Driscoll hasn't applied. I'd be interested to know how you gathered the information.

Is that fact, or FACT? Or supposition? If the latter, you've destroyed your whole argument. So, do you know for certain that Evans didn't, and O'Driscoll hasn't applied. I'd be interested to know how you gathered the information.

Of course I can't state for certain whether Evans or O'Driscoll was in that 102 but I bet my left gonad that they weren't.

Do you reckon they were?!

Of course I can't state for certain whether Evans or O'Driscoll was in that 102 but I bet my left gonad that they weren't.

Do you reckon they were?!

They weren't. It makes a mockery of the whole process. They took applications, interviewed all the applicants that they shortlisted and then went for Evans, who hadn't even expressed an interest. They have now gone for O'Driscoll, who again didn't apply...