FT: Doncaster Rovers 1 Oldham Athletic 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big criticism of Kelly was his interviews... Can't say I've seen anything from Dunn that improves on his predecessor. Lots of Erms Erms Erms and to be quite frank come across as quite thick... That said Sheridan wasn't the greatest in front of the camera and was even as honest to say "we were :censored:" on one interview! But where Dunn and Kelly have been identical so far is to tell us how great the players are in training... Wish we got points for that because I'm sorry, stop telling us that and get them doing it when it matters

He could have said exactly what he said preceded by "yeah it was bad but, ......."

Why do they managers do this to themselves?

A big criticism of Kelly was his interviews... Can't say I've seen anything from Dunn that improves on his predecessor. Lots of Erms Erms Erms and to be quite frank come across as quite thick... That said Sheridan wasn't the greatest in front of the camera and was even as honest to say "we were :censored:" on one interview! But where Dunn and Kelly have been identical so far is to tell us how great the players are in training... Wish we got points for that because I'm sorry, stop telling us that and get them doing it when it matters

I agree with that and those were most of the bad bits. He's awkward, goes on about "hard work" which largely devalues the skill that's involved in management and coaching IMO and he often repeats the point he just made in the same answer. However he seems to have a better understanding of what's needed than Kelly who, despite his positivity, was a lot more vague about his solutions to problems. Time will tell if that means better results of course.

For those saying we played 1 up front, what position was philliskirk playing? Just because strikers aren't holding hands doesn't mean they aren't playing in a pair. Philliskirk was playing deeper that's all.

My issue today was just a complete lack of attacking intent. Jones and Winchester barely tried anything other than sideways passing on the half way line. On 85 mins croft had the ball out wide on a break and Winchester and Jones were completely static in the middle. No attempt to get forward.

The tactic of channel balls in the 1st half sometimes had poleon and philliskirk in decent positions but there was just a complete lack of support from midfield. Same when we did some good switches of play out wide. Yeates would get the ball in a decent position but have no options.

Lack of movement, lack of intent, lack of any interest or excitement at all.

Liam Kelly can't come back soon enough. With him sitting it might allow our creative players to get forward and actually try and score. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever you want to call it does not work without someone playing that role.

And a striker. A proper striker that's a threat. Please.

Nzlatic is bang on.

And when we did have two players in the box for a cross, they just cantered. No intelligence, no-one bursting to the near post or one checking his run for the pull-back...

Twice Croft crossed to nothing - but both deliveries were actually okay.

It's Forte, and hopefully a new striker, who will have that intelligence.

But we were quite flat in general today. We only played with a bit of zip for the first few minutes and briefly at the end.

Negatives are that the same lack of hunger was in defence. We lost a lot of 50-50s and looked vulnerable from crosses and set-pieces. Yes they were off target, and yes they didn't go in, but Donny won a lot of headers in our box and should have scored from one or two of them.

Edited by IceStationLatic

It's hard to accept but life as an oldham fan for the foreseeable future is going to be dull more often than it's exciting...that's the hard truth until more time, thought and money is invested in the running of the team and the squad. It all suggests the football is getting in the way of the owners trying to find out how to re-coup their money. It's depressing that the clubs in this state...

I preferred Lee Johnson's first game approach of going out and throwing everything at Hartlepool and mullering them 3-0.

I'd prefer it too, but I can see why Dunn would play it safe.

Hopefully with Kelly and Forte back and an extra striker or two on board we can be more expansive in the next few weeks.

Imagine if he'd come out and said "that was terrible. I apologise to all the supporters who paid money to come and watch us"?

We'd all be eating out of the palm of his hand....

Why do they come out with such :censored:e? Is it taught as part of "doing their badges"?

Was is Ronnie who said in a post match interview."If I'd had a gun I'd have shot them" ?

What were these 'off the field issues' that you're privy to? The sectarian thing? That was long forgotten.

Dunn has played with this team and will know things Kelly didn't, plus he is likely to have much more support from the board. I will be judging him on the same merit as Kelly.

As for strikers. Philly isn't one - just watch him to see that - and Poleon may have been bought with the idea of converting him in mind, but at Leeds he was a winger, and his best spell here was as a winger.

Not the sectarian issues, I'm not getting involved in all that bollocks its a football forum.

The off field issues were reported by Matt Chambers as something along the lines of that players were brought in for him rather than by him as he didn't know how to deal with off field issues. You were privy to the same info I got.

Philliskirk is now a utility player but give him 5/6 games up front you will soon see its his natural position.

And my opinion Poleon doesn't seem like a natural footballer anyway. He was bought as a striker and we have played him out wide but that's typical of us. He has a bit of pace so round peg in a square hole. At Leeds he was similar a striker who ended up on the wing just because every other stiker they had was better. He just isn't very good

Dieng was excellent but that has I go down as one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. Last week aside.

His weak attempt at jumping at the Doncaster free kick summed up for me Latics lack ability in the air, for goodness sake how hard is it for coaches to instill into players 'attack the ball'.

Edited by BP1960

For those saying we played 1 up front, what position was philliskirk playing? Just because strikers aren't holding hands doesn't mean they aren't playing in a pair. Philliskirk was playing deeper that's all.

My issue today was just a complete lack of attacking intent. Jones and Winchester barely tried anything other than sideways passing on the half way line. On 85 mins croft had the ball out wide on a break and Winchester and Jones were completely static in the middle. No attempt to get forward.

The tactic of channel balls in the 1st half sometimes had poleon and philliskirk in decent positions but there was just a complete lack of support from midfield. Same when we did some good switches of play out wide. Yeates would get the ball in a decent position but have no options.

Lack of movement, lack of intent, lack of any interest or excitement at all.

Liam Kelly can't come back soon enough. With him sitting it might allow our creative players to get forward and actually try and score. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever you want to call it does not work without someone playing that role.

And a striker. A proper striker that's a threat. Please.

Winchester and jones clearly had been told to do a job defensively and had been told to sit and make sure we don't coincide. Not getting beat was the key today after last weeks result. They would have been so frustrated I'm sure but had a task to stick to.

Surprised Brown got the nod today but with Mills injured it probably forced Dunns hand to select him.

No comments on Green today !!! didn't get long and yes he was booked on his first touch but I thought we attacked more for the last ten mins when he came on. I know I get slated wanting him to get a chance but I would love to see him get 90 to see how he could do. we need to try something new weather it's Green or not cos that today was :censored:.

This outpouring of woe after every game we don't win is getting a bit daft.

8 games, 1 win. Very poor opposition. 21st place. Tougher games to come.

I don't think being woeful after 7 out of 8 winless games (the only win having been battered all game) is that surprising or daft.

Will you say the same after 16 games and 2 wins?

The faintest praise I can give yesterday is that it wasn't the worst performance of the season. We should have lost by nine against Fleetwood - yesterday we should only have lost by three.

Our problem used to be we had no one to finish the chances we created. Now we don't even create chances.

Winchester and jones clearly had been told to do a job defensively and had been told to sit and make sure we don't coincide. Not getting beat was the key today after last weeks result. They would have been so frustrated I'm sure but had a task to stick to.

Surprised Brown got the nod today but with Mills injured it probably forced Dunns hand to select him.

I wasn't committing the ultimate crime and criticising Winchester, just the formation and the tactics! You can't be defensively sound and good on the counter attack with a 4-4-2 with no natural defensive midfielder.

Hopefully we'll put that to bed and play a formation to suit our strengths.

Not sure about the atmosphere in the away end as I was sat in the posh seats but it sounded a bit flat which is very unusual. A good striker signing this week could lift everyone. Feels like it's needed.