Paul Green was a phenomenal signing.

Absolutely superb once again. So intelligent in and out of possession. Heartbeat of the side.

Couldn't agree more. MOM for me today. He was everywhere. Some very good performances out there today, and a lot of hard work. Can't help but think we lack any counter attack pace though, but with that steady defensive unit we will struggle to be beaten playing like that

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. MOM for me today. He was everywhere. Some very good performances out there today, and a lot of hard work. Can't help but think we lack any counter attack pace though, but with that steady defensive unit we will struggle to be beaten playing like that

He is that boring player that we don't think we need, but without we have no tempo. Agreed. He has impressed me in his simplicity.

That being said we caused trouble on the counter attack several times, had it not been for Mckay to take one too many touches

Mclaughlin and Jahraldo have presumably been brought in to provide pace, and Osei stretched them a couple of times too

The goal that beat us was a scorpie one!

But you deserved the win and to be honest you deserved to win by more than one goal too.

Peter Clarke is a machine!

Why our P O T S doesn't play for us anymore is beyond baffling, lucky you!

Last season we were stuffing wigan 4-0 with about 2 minutes to play and Clarke was running around defending like a demon, that is the kind of guy you have got.

Good luck until we meet again!

https://audioboom.com/boos/4955326-steve-robinson-speaks-to-bbc-radio-manchester-following-his-oldham-side-s-1-0-win-over-bury-at-gigg-lane

Robbo chatting with BBC radio manc's Jimmy Wagg and Steve Eyre.

Interestingly it seems Eyre was in the running for the Latics job during the summer, he mentioned as much today. Said the club, particularly SOD, was brilliant with him all the way through discussions. I find his analysis excellent, but not sure he has the right personality to be Latics leader.

On the other hand, I'm starting to feel like Robbo suits us very well.

That was a pretty good performance.

Bury started well without really threatening but the goal settled us and we took the game to them. Erwin very unlucky not to score when the keeper tipped a decent effort on to the post.

Second half we looked very threatening on the counter but mackay, who's work rate was phenomenal, was lacking in both his pace, ability to back himself to have the skill to get past a man and also his finishing.

The midfield four worked their knackers off, Green exceptional throughout. Klok who took a card for the team with a timely foul. Fane who continued his impressive if slightly unconventional displays and Flynn who drifted in and out of the game but came closest to creating a second.

The Croft for Klok sub was inspired, and Croft's experience in the context of the game was invaluable. Osei should have replaced Mackay ten minutes before he did.

Dunne at left back looked better defensively than on Tuesday but tired dramatically in the last fifteen minutes and bury had most joy down his side. Ripley and Clarke looked excellent throughout though.

It was a game that made me think we need pace up top. But it also made me think we've got discipline, passing and creativity in the side. Goals should follow.

Paul Green was a phenomenal signing.

Absolutely superb once again. So intelligent in and out of possession. Heartbeat of the side.

Great to hear that (haven't seen him play for us yet) - but I was delighted when we got him, and am confident he's going to go on to be our player of the season.

13th in league with 5pts and not having scored a goal after 4 games has to be pretty unique.

Green definitely MOTO. Something we seem to have acquired is height in abundance compared with last few seasons.

All in all a very promising recovery from first game.

I do think Robinson has got his priorities right in the way he is developing his new squad.

The goal that beat us was a scorpie one!

But you deserved the win and to be honest you deserved to win by more than one goal too.

Peter Clarke is a machine!

Why our P O T S doesn't play for us anymore is beyond baffling, lucky you!

Last season we were stuffing wigan 4-0 with about 2 minutes to play and Clarke was running around defending like a demon, that is the kind of guy you have got.

Good luck until we meet again!

I assumed Clarke left because you could no longer afford his wages. 2 problems with that theory though

1) if you can't afford him then how the hell can we, and

2) why are you then recruiting other players who mus be on big dosh

Mate of mine who is a shaker reckons Clarke fell out with the manager which seems odd

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season

That was a pretty good performance.

Bury started well without really threatening but the goal settled us and we took the game to them. Erwin very unlucky not to score when the keeper tipped a decent effort on to the post.

Second half we looked very threatening on the counter but mackay, who's work rate was phenomenal, was lacking in both his pace, ability to back himself to have the skill to get past a man and also his finishing.

The midfield four worked their knackers off, Green exceptional throughout. Klok who took a card for the team with a timely foul. Fane who continued his impressive if slightly unconventional displays and Flynn who drifted in and out of the game but came closest to creating a second.

The Croft for Klok sub was inspired, and Croft's experience in the context of the game was invaluable. Osei should have replaced Mackay ten minutes before he did.

Dunne at left back looked better defensively than on Tuesday but tired dramatically in the last fifteen minutes and bury had most joy down his side. Ripley and Clarke looked excellent throughout though.

It was a game that made me think we need pace up top. But it also made me think we've got discipline, passing and creativity in the side. Goals should follow.

that's really perverted.

Great to hear that (haven't seen him play for us yet) - but I was delighted when we got him, and am confident he's going to go on to be our player of the season.

In the first 3 games, I felt Green was getting praised for not very much but that yesterday was an outstanding performance. Reminded me of Duxbury back in the day. Regards Player of the Season though, there's not a chance of anyone winning it other than Peter Clarke. Man mountain every game. Overall, that yesterday was a well executed away game. We will win lots of points away from home playing that way. Just need to work on how to set up at home to be more threatening but that will hopefully come with pacey wingers like McLaughlan.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think the foundation of,

Ripley

Clarke

Burgess

Green

Fane

Is the basis for our impressive start, it's got a good mix of everything and is a solid foundation to build on, Ripley in particular we are lucky to have but I'd say the biggest factor is Clarke and Greens leadership and knowhow at the back it's something we've lacked for a few years, Burgess and Fane have settled in and are only going to get better so it's looking rosy on that front.

Of our front players Erwin catches the eye, it's not really happened yet for Mackay but for all the endeavour it's not clicked and I suspect it will be a slight worry for SR that he hasn't managed to put one away yet, Flynn is a bit hit and miss for me but posessis obvious quality at our level and Croft and Klok are both doing a decent job, Croft more as an impact player from the bench for me.

One or two real quality forward signings and we could quite easily push into the top half of this table, it looks like we have a manager and support team capable of taking us there and with a bit of luck you never know.

Ripley

Clarke

Burgess

Green

Fane

Is the basis for our impressive start, it's got a good mix of everything and is a solid foundation to build on, Ripley in particular we are lucky to have but I'd say the biggest factor is Clarke and Greens leadership and knowhow at the back it's something we've lacked for a few years, Burgess and Fane have settled in and are only going to get better so it's looking rosy on that front.

Of our front players Erwin catches the eye, it's not really happened yet for Mackay but for all the endeavour it's not clicked and I suspect it will be a slight worry for SR that he hasn't managed to put one away yet, Flynn is a bit hit and miss for me but posessis obvious quality at our level and Croft and Klok are both doing a decent job, Croft more as an impact player from the bench for me.

One or two real quality forward signings and we could quite easily push into the top half of this table, it looks like we have a manager and support team capable of taking us there and with a bit of luck you never know.

Has your account been hacked? :smoking:

Ripley

Clarke

Burgess

Green

Fane

Who are you telling this? Yourself? Seems you are the last to realise this. Edited by Monty Burns

Bury board stating we are one of the worst teams they have ever seen in league 1 there, despite our win. Claims this was a six pointer as we'll both definitely be in a relegation scrap. Bit harsh.

What's their forum called..