Oldham v Shrewsbury

Sorry but some of what I read on here is utter crap

How can someone have a go at Banks performance today he only played about 15 mins!

Ripley - didn't really have that much to do but at least he is positive xoming off his line

Law - MOM for me gets better everytime I see him

Clarke - Worst i've seen him play this year yet still a solid 7 out of 10

Burgess - Just....wait....a.......minute.......whilst......i......turn......round

Dunne - Really struggled - Poor delivery out wide and caught numerous times defensively

Fane - Great kid and will be quality - Easiest 2 yellows you could give as a Ref

Green - Struggled with no support

Flynn - Time to get some splinters on the bench for me

McKay - Couldn't help think that if he played up top the balls flashing across the 6 yrd box would be finished off

Lapado - Struggled - Doesn't look sharp just yet

Erwin - Works hard and was an outlet

Osei - Looked good, raw quick and will develop

Banks - Not much chance

Croft - Beat the 1st bloody man with your crosses!

Saw the pen a mile off and it was one for me - what pisses me off is that if he gives that then we should have at least had 2

The time wasting was a joke - I dont pay my hard earned to watch a keeper who hasn't dived brush himself down for 3 minutes at every goalkick

Failure to book at least 4 Shrews for fouls - Definately got the impression that the abuse got to him so much he wasn't going to give us anything - Be interesting if Robbo speaks his mind or not re the ref

Not the end of the world, still a work in progress - We will be Very good away from home this year - Robbo needs to sort his tactics at home

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do hope that the Mickey Mouse cup rules didn't influence today's team selection at all. anyway Latics' remaining two matches in it are both away from home so for them why not pick as many first team players as possible, sub three of them after the opening minute and have the rest that are not in need of a run out feign injury a few minutes later to get them off the pitch too? Now there is no chance of them qualifying why not just treat the competition with the respect that it deserves?

was down South today so couldn't make BP. attended the Oxford v the mighty Dale match instead. on today's evidence they are two teams that Latics should be confident of finishing above. Still Dale have a good 'keeper and Vincenti was impressive for them when he came on for the last 20mins. Dale also suffered directly from the decisions of a poor referee, seems to be a common theme ...

Didn't see that one coming. Thought it would be a comfortable 3-0 or 3-1 victory today. Ref was an utter disgrace BUT we didn't deserve to get anything :-

1) We are way too slow at getting forward - gives defenders time to organise themselves and pick us off. We also seemed to have a problem running into the space in front of us, when we had it. Instead we'd look to get rid of the ball as soon as we could.

2) Flynn terrible again, Green had a shocker (but we'll forgive him because it's his first poor one). Ladapo awful and should have been substituted. Didn't think Green was that bad, although agree about Flynn and Ladapo. Flynn's not a central-midfielder, I don't think..

3) Erwin and McKay - had doubts from day one - Erwin is pleasing to the eye but these 2 will never get us the goals we need.

4) How Osei can come on at half time in midweek, score 2 goals and crash a header against the bar and then not get a starting place is a mystery to me. Poor management in my view. Any other player doing that would be guaranteed a place. Smack of favouritism for Erwin and McKay. To be fair, the management know better than we do where Osei is with his fitness.

5) Hope it's a case of a bad day at the office - but losing at home to Shrewsbury is poor in anyone's book - they were bobbins.

6) Oh - Banks - goodbye - useless. Far too early to say that, but over-hitting the simple pass today that would have put Croft in on goal was particularly frustrating..

We weren't great today, but I actually enjoyed it.

The formation was wrong (we needed the extra midfielder..), but that's fine - Robbo gave something different a go and it didn't work. Nowt wrong with that.

The ref was a disgrace - summed up in the 30 seconds where he didn't give us the penalty for the foul on Clarke and, in the ensuing breakaway, gave Fane his first booking.

Gutted the Ladapo didn't score at the end, but left with the adrenalin pumping, which hasn't happened for a League home game for a good while..

Fané should have been subbed off before he was went sent off. Not only were we desperately in need of someone more creative and forward-thinking, but it was also obvious to everyone in the ground that he was a red card waiting to happen.

Other than that, Osei was a handful when he came on, Law did well, and Peter Clarke really is a class above everyone else. The rest were all fairly average, but I've seen us play far worse and win...

Typical Latics get a slight feel good factor going then back to earth with a bump.

Going to see it as a massive learning curve for Robinson not to take Fane off....he was a walking red card and was lucky to last the 10 minutes from his earlier foul, Fane is going to have to learn as I can see teams will target him and it could become a regular occurrence.

3 up top with Flynn in midfield will not work in my eyes.....he seems the type of player you have to carry far too often for our style of side.

Looked lacking up front today.....no cohesion between the three, feel it is to early in the reign to be tinkering with 3 up top we need to remain solid and work from there on.

Hate slagging refs but for the 2nd week on the run that 2nd half performance was horrendous today and so much for getting home decisions.

Typical Latics cant string home performances together but we live in hope for next Saturday.

Wasn't at yesterday's game because I'm on holiday in Cornwall but in my opinion nothing much has changed over the past 4 or 5 seasons with Latics, in as much as we probably aren't going to score enough goals to get us out of trouble once we concede. How many times can you remember a Latics team recently where we've gone behind but still won the game? Not many at all!!

Our strikers just don't have the goal scoring experience or pedigree for us to expect them to be prolific and that's where we will probably fail, like we always seem to.

IMO we need a striker in the Luke Beckett or Lee Hughes mould, someone with a bit of aggression and who is only interested in sticking the ball in the back of the net.

I appreciate that they cost the most money but without goals in the team we just aren't going to get enough wins.

There's not going to be many goals coming from midfield by the look of things which makes the strikers even more important.

Coincidentally Curtis Main, Jonathan Forte and Dominic Poleon all scored yesterday!

Wasn't at yesterday's game because I'm on holiday in Cornwall but in my opinion nothing much has changed over the past 4 or 5 seasons with Latics, in as much as we probably aren't going to score enough goals to get us out of trouble once we concede. How many times can you remember a Latics team recently where we've gone behind but still won the game? Not many at all!!

Our strikers just don't have the goal scoring experience or pedigree for us to expect them to be prolific and that's where we will probably fail, like we always seem to.

IMO we need a striker in the Luke Beckett or Lee Hughes mould, someone with a bit of aggression and who is only interested in sticking the ball in the back of the net.

I appreciate that they cost the most money but without goals in the team we just aren't going to get enough wins.

There's not going to be many goals coming from midfield by the look of things which makes the strikers even more important.

Coincidentally Curtis Main, Jonathan Forte and Dominic Poleon all scored yesterday!

Even Liam Kelly has started scoring this season-mind you yesterday all were in the division below

Further to my earlier post, I haven't seen Ladapo yet but he might be the answer, I'd like to know what anyone who's seen him thinks? Osei has been impressive from what I've seen and definitely deserves more game time, he has an 'arrogance' about his game which seems to say that he thinks he can handle it at this level, I like that about him.

Erwin is full of endeavour - the same as Curtis Main last season - but he's not going to score enough goals. McKay just hasn't done it yet, he's the one with the goal scoring pedigree though so maybe he will come good soon.

We can rightly point the finger at the referee.

But that's something we can't control.

Green's defending on the left for their first was woeful.

The whole side fell asleep as we made substitutions prior to their third.

Going forwards we played a series of airy fairy hopeful / over hit passes to nobody in particular.

And selection wise McKay played in midfield. I found that bizarre. Play him in his best position or not at all.

Glad he got his goal, but I wish Erwin would shoot more.

So true. Could tell this on the day he signed when his highlights packages were posted on here.

However, this will not be changing, that's who he is. Traits like that are ingrained.

For the record I really like him, he is one of my favourite players. Playing a full season he will get a minimum of 14 goals and make massive contributions elsewhere on the field.

Never gona a win a header tho, so probably going to end up in that Latics absolutely bulging file of ':censored:' ex players who move upwards and leave us behind.

Further to my earlier post, I haven't seen Ladapo yet but he might be the answer, I'd like to know what anyone who's seen him thinks?

He looked alright. Missed a sitter though to make it 3-3. Great ball in from the right and he hit against the bar. Early days but I'll reserve judgement for a few more games. Fingers crossed he can kick on ams start bagging.

Guest nonaenever

So...he was brought on as a substitute on 83 minutes. He made the pass to Ladapo from which the Palace loanee hit the bar and this is your considered assessment?

No - of course not - I`m basing my opinion on all the games I have seen him in this season.

For my money both Macky and Dunn look poor signings unless they improve fast we looked terrible today yes the ref was on we of worst we have seen but we have to look at the team we need someone to shake it up otherwise it will be another season full of excuses, if we could have had Shezes team of last season that game would have been out of sight at half time.

Edited by lookersman

For my money both Macky and Dunn look poor signings unless they improve fast we looked terrible today yes the ref was on we of worst we have seen but we have to look at the team we need someone to shake it up otherwise it will be another season full of excuses, if we could have had Shezes team of last season that game would have been out of sight at half time.

When did Shez's side ever put a game out of sight? That's the one thing we never did under Shez (last season). A very strange comment. There could be far more goals in this strike force than we have had in previous seasons IMO.

Shocking referee again. With a pen to go 2-0, like at Bradford, we would have won. For what it's worth, I also agree he got the tactics wrong but not the personnel, barring Flynn who had to play (5player rule) - Erwin has been playing right / left wing and linking from there all season and the partnership of Ladapo and McKay was good on Tuesday, yet he plays Erwin right up top. Very strange. We were way too narrow until the 80th minute when it was too late.