Oldham v Shrewsbury

I think Mckay will always start when fit , Robbo sees him as our main striker .

Maybe so at the moment. Especially as he got off the mark. But going forward I don't see Robbo being stubborn and sticking to players if they aren't performing or if there's someone better to come in.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so at the moment. Especially as he got off the mark. But going forward I don't see Robbo being stubborn and sticking to players if they aren't performing or if there's someone better to come in.

Is McKay not performing? He was excellent on Tuesday and formed a potentially exciting partnership with Lapado. The movement between the two was excellent. Osei has come away from the match with most credit following his two goals but for me Lapado was far more impressive and will be a real threat to defences at our level. So direct and wants the ball played in to feet / over the top all the time. As for McKay, he played a variety of roles and offers the link play - his movement and hold-up play has been good all season & that goal was great for confidence levels as well as an excellent assist. Osei is raw and could be superb, however, he is not at this point ready to claim Billy's place IMO and I think SR sees him as an impact sub - possibly now getting more than his standard 5-10 mins though!

Is McKay not performing? He was excellent on Tuesday and formed a potentially exciting partnership with Lapado. The movement between the two was excellent. Osei has come away from the match with most credit following his two goals but for me Lapado was far more impressive and will be a real threat to defences at our level. So direct and wants the ball played in to feet / over the top all the time. As for McKay, he played a variety of roles and offers the link play - his movement and hold-up play has been good all season & that goal was great for confidence levels as well as an excellent assist. Osei is raw and could be superb, however, he is not at this point ready to claim Billy's place IMO and I think SR sees him as an impact sub - possibly now getting more than his standard 5-10 mins though!

Not seen any games this season so I'm not in a position to say he's not performing. I was replying to a post that said McKay would always start if fit. My point was that I don't think Robinson is that sort of manager. I get the impression from his interviews that he's a very demanding character, just look at his demeanour after the game the other night when everyone seemed happy with a few goals and some entertainment - he looked exasperated and angry about the performance and defeat!!

Going off most reports, Erwin has been the stand out performer among the forwards this season so seems harsh for him to be dropped. But McKay scored and played well it seems, Ladapo was heavily involved in the goals and Osei showed what he could do. Lots of great options for a change!

Will he start Mclaughlin on Saturday maybe? Potentially why he dragged him off at HT on Tuesday? Unless he was the fall guy for us being :censored:. That said, hes waxed lyrical about 'when hes fit he will be a major threat' so maybe Robinson thinks hes fit.

Will he start Mclaughlin on Saturday maybe? Potentially why he dragged him off at HT on Tuesday? Unless he was the fall guy for us being :censored:. That said, hes waxed lyrical about 'when hes fit he will be a major threat' so maybe Robinson thinks hes fit.

Been wondering about this lad. He's been generally poor from what we've seen, but when he signed it was generally seen as a bit of a coup. Now I can't see where he gets into the team.

The player first to be dropped always seems to be Klok, but there are quite a few players who will be vying for that spot.

Yet to be impressed by mclaughlin but may just be fitness, looked off the pace every time (though I didn't see him first half tues).

Thought the other lad we signed along with Dunne (Can't remember his name) who's also a winger did more in his 15-20 min stint than what mclaughlin has done so far

Guest nonaenever

What utter bollocks.

Clarke and Ripley were so far ahead of the other players at Bradford.

I am sorry for talking utter bollocks about Burgess being our best defender against Bradford - I did have a few in the Bradford Arms beforehand so my view may have been blurred. However, the Oldham Chronicle also states, "..with Cameron Burgess, in particular, impressive at the back..." - so at least I`m not talking utter bollocks on my own!

It seems to me that SR prefers a front three, and I'd expect this to be Erwin-Mckay-Lapado. Seems pretty good to me, with Osei as an option off the bench.

Erwin Mckay Lapado sounds pretty ruthless at this level

Big fan of Osei but you can't deny that front 3 looks the business

Would this not represent "taking the shackles off"?

I don't think he'll be ready to do that at this early stage and will prefer to keep things tight instead.

Probably rightly so...

I think we tried something similar at one of the home games - Erwin was out wide, Mckay in the middle, and I think Flynn played wide the other side. Didn't work very well though, as I don't think it's Flynn's natural game (not sure what is yet). Just a feeling I have that he'll go this way. And to be fair, if you want an opponent to test an attacking formation against, Shrewsbury at home is probably your best bet.

Can anybody tell me where the five players starting from Tuesday night comes from. I can't find the written confirmation of this.

If that is the case then: McKay, Ladapo, Dunne, Burgess & Banks or Wilson would do it.

I would rather py the 5k fine and play our best team. Also what rules do the u23 teams have regarding selection? Do they have the possibility of fines?

I would rather py the 5k fine and play our best team. Also what rules do the u23 teams have regarding selection? Do they have the possibility of fines?

I'd rather we manipulated the system enough so that we can rest as many first teamers as possible for this competition and keep them fresh for the league without handing over £5k of our money.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I hope two u23 teams make the final at wembley and theres about 500 people there to watch it

It wont make any difference,

as long as the premier clubs are ploughing the money in they will dictate what happens.

This comp will never go back to it's original format or any other format now without the U23's in.