Oldham v Shrewsbury

Oh I get it a kid from Stalybridge isn't up to playing for big old Oldham in League one, reputation counts for :censored: all in my book and when I see him put it in for one game nevermind 10 minutes my view on him might change, to me he's carried by an essentially hard working team and offers nothing in the final third where he is supposed to be earning his doe, as with Winchester it's a luxury we can't afford, I'd go as far to say if you'd have saved his wage and played Winchester in there we'd be no worse off, what Fane and Osei have shown and it stands out like a sore thumb is desire and ambition to be the best they can be, give me that every day of the week over players who think they are better than they are.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I get it a kid from Stalybridge isn't up to playing for big old Oldham in League one, reputation counts for :censored: all in my book and when I see him put it in for one game nevermind 10 minutes my view on him might change, to me he's carried by an essentially hard working team and offers nothing in the final third where he is supposed to be earning his doe, as with Winchester it's a luxury we can't afford, I'd go as far to say if you'd have saved his wage and played Winchester in there we'd be no worse off, what Fane and Osei have shown and it stands out like a sore thumb is desire and ambition to be the best they can be, give me that every day of the week over players who think they are better than they are.

This is the kind of judgement after 6 games that is OTT

I don't understand how people are complaining about the lack of a creative spark yet wish to see Flynn (the most likely to create something out of nothing) dropped.

How do you possibly know that when he's not created anything yet? You don't know if Banks, Winchester, Green, Mclaughlin, Martin etc. are more creative.

Sheffield United fans commented that he lacked the killer ball and that's what let him down there. He was known more for his industry than his quality.

To me, the player who is most capable of creating something from nothing is Erwin, because, put simply, he's the only one who's actually proved it.

Seriously? Look at the replay - He blocks the 1st cross (if he doesn't i'd bet the cross is cleared) the defence don't re-set again quickly enough which allows Brown the space to head home - Green having blocked the 1st cross didn't have the time to try and prevent the 2nd

Amateurish defending all round-but not blocking the second cross is the worst part

When was this?

To be fair he seems one of our only players who gets the ball down and will go past a couple with it, and 9/10 finds a pass (Where as perhaps he should be shooting more yes) but he certainly has a touch of class about him

Flynn needs a rocket up his arse, simple as. I was ecstatic over him signing but he's not shown much, you can see in small stints he clearly has quality, He just needs to get involved more...

Law getting better every game, tough against bradford but any wing back will struggle against Marshall.

Dummigan to come straight in for me, who for is tough, I don't think you can drop Law after his performance Sat, but I would give Flynn another couple of games too. Perhaps Dunn?

Perhaps even Fane now he is out of the picture and play him CM? With Green playing the Fane role to pickup the pieces and put tackles in.

Ref was dog:censored:, the blaming a ref is such a cop out in football...But both at Bradford and Here they have cost us 4 points. (most likely in both games if the referee gives the right decision we go 2-0 up).

Shrewsbury where terrible, some over reactions to the performance on here I feel, Thought we controlled the game for the first half hour, then they had a decent 15 before HT.

Also thought when we went down to 10 men (and al be in where 3-1 down at this point) We battered them for 20-30 minutes. They couldn't get out really...Osei worked the keeper, then hit the post, then Erwin scored, then Ladapo hit the bar...in 20 minutes with 10 men.

Osei HAS to start. Simple as that. He's shown more attacking threat that any player by a country mile.

Mckay to be dropped for Osei, Ladapo needs a few games to be fit but 100% should be scoring at the end of this game to make it 3-3.

Edited by aaronoafc

When was this?

Flynn for an excellent chance, when he hit the post at Bury, Clarke header against Northampton, Law at Walsall/Northampton(?).

It seems like most chances we make from open play come from Erwin.

I wouldn't even think it would be a debate that he looks the best attacker tbh.

I hope Flynn can find a consistent state inbetween his Wigan performance and his league appearances.

Edited by NewBlue

I know but come on - he's been in football long enough to be able to see things like that surely. He'll have seen it a hundred times before.

Maybe he trusted the player not to do anything stupid and was let down, player and manager will learn from it, to be honest for some of the challenges the ref let go I thought in the grand scheme of things Fane was a tad unfortunate and ref couldn't wait to get the second yellow out.

When has a manager ever been praised for leaving a player on in such a situation who then went on to do something that won or saved a game without getting sent off?

I bet it's happened and I bet nowt was said.

Amateurish defending all round-but not blocking the second cross is the worst part

Absolutely! If you watch it they all press the 6 yrd box and front post when the 1st cross is attempted and the only player to re-srt for the 2nd was Brown thus creating a couple of yards of space - Simple basic's of defending or at least how I was taught to!

Fecking hell I sound like Antony Gerrard!

Absolutely! If you watch it they all press the 6 yrd box and front post when the 1st cross is attempted and the only player to re-srt for the 2nd was Brown thus creating a couple of yards of space - Simple basic's of defending or at least how I was taught to!

Attack the ball, dont stand still and ball watch, is that too simple to ask of the players?

I know that I have completely lost track of the team given that I thought you meant Connor Brown but knew that didn't make sense!

Sheffield United fans commented that he lacked the killer ball and that's what let him down there. He was known more for his industry than his quality.

He was a first choice midfielder for them for 4 seasons and finished in the playoffs with them 3 of those times. He was obviously doing something right. The two times I've seen him him play I thought he looked very good. To say he's not very creative he broke into the box with the ball several times over those two games, so at worst he doesn't have a killer pass, but he still strikes me as a forward thinking player.

I didn't see him at Bradford or Shrewsbury, but from the performances I saw I wouldn't be quick to drop him.

Ill give you Flynn, but hes not gonna provide much width as hes tucked in most the game, but who else you playing wide? Greens a centre mid, out wide hes a square peg. You cant surely think that those players that played in the forward 6 on Saturday provided any width in the first half?

Ill give you Flynn, but hes not gonna provide much width as hes tucked in most the game, but who else you playing wide? Greens a centre mid, out wide hes a square peg. You cant surely think that those players that played in the forward 6 on Saturday provided any width in the first half?

This is the key for me. We were so narrow with no creativity or players capable of being creative. Crofty and Flynn on either wing would give us so much more.

I think people need to redefine what they think are wingers...we've barely got one in the whole squad. A width/by-line man. Croft is the one who should fit that bill but he isn't capable (was rubbish again on Saturday when he came on - ran about anywhere where the ball wasn't.) Most others are not wingers but Left Centre Mids, Right Centre Mids or whatever you want to call them. Rick Holden, David Eyres, Andy Liddell (when his legs worked), Neil Adams...they were wingers. Very very few in this lot we have are. I'm praying McLaughlin gets fit and up to speed to be a proper winger but that would mean we would be more expansive. Which I'm not sure Robbo wants us to be at present.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think people need to redefine what they think are wingers...we've barely got one in the whole squad. A width/by-line man. Croft is the one who should fit that bill but he isn't capable (was rubbish again on Saturday when he came on - ran about anywhere where the ball wasn't.) Most others are not wingers but Left Centre Mids, Right Centre Mids or whatever you want to call them. Rick Holden, David Eyres, Andy Liddell (when his legs worked), Neil Adams...they were wingers. Very very few in this lot we have are. I'm praying McLaughlin gets fit and up to speed to be a proper winger but that would mean we would be more expansive. Which I'm not sure Robbo wants us to be at present.

Wide players don't necessarily need to hug the touchline to be effective. Gary Harkins and Chris Taylor contributed well with goals a d assists by playing from the left and cutting in.

I think Croft's done pretty well when called upon this season, actually.

Edited by OneSizeFitz