Chesterfield

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

My lad said it hit the post too. I thought it was a few feet wide!

Yes it did hit the post and then sort of "spun" away - so might not have looked like it from some parts of the ground - I woke the fella up sat next to me and told him he'd missed the best bit of the game - he nodded - and went back to sleep.

And so it begins again.

Usual posters who having had their argument blown out of the water that Corney doesn't care-is trying to run the club into the ground etc. Having signed 21 players and lost that discussion-what can we moan about now?

I know lets make up the story that our budget is rubbish/smallest in the division-what did you expect with Corney in charge? FFS!!!!

Yep. We did have a few chances but there was a strange and tedious cloud hung over it. I think it was having watched the Manchester derby and then having to watch that toss, not believing we'd even get near to scoring - no hope. No atmosphere either. Just hated it yesterday.

Isn't there a strange and tedious cloud hanging over everything at the moment? :shifty:

Guest nonaenever

And so it begins again.

Usual posters who having had their argument blown out of the water that Corney doesn't care-is trying to run the club into the ground etc. Having signed 21 players and lost that discussion-what can we moan about now?

I know lets make up the story that our budget is rubbish/smallest in the division-what did you expect with Corney in charge? FFS!!!!

Let's be right - there can be no criticism whatsoever of Simon Corney here. In fact, quite the opposite - he deserves credit (and personally, I gave him that credit on another post). We all accept it's early days BUT I think everyone thought that we would 1) perform better and 2) get more than 1 point - from 2 home games against mediocre opposition. With friendlies, league and cup games, people have had chance to assess the players (especially if they have witnessed most of them) and also the manager's approach etc. No doubt that Ripley, Clarke, Fane, Green and Osei have been good acquisitions but that's only 5 players. You can add Erwin to that list IF he can start to provide/create chances for others (he's clearly not going to score many himself). As for the rest of the acquisitions, the jury has to be firmly "out" on them.

That's a worry - some should come good hopefully - others look decidedly dodgy. I can't help feeling that every time Lee Croft comes on, he looks one of our better performers. He's intelligent on the ball and always looking to create something with a neat pass etc. No disrespect to Lee (I really like him) but what does that say about our chances of progress?

So no criticism of Simon C - but a question mark over whether the manager has made the right signings and/or can he blend them into a side capable of holding their own. Another crucial point; IF we have a team that capitulates in the absence of one player (Clarke) then that is unforgiveable.

The manager retains the backing of the fans (would be extremely foolish to do anything else) but many people saw the last 2 games as home bankers. When good teams roll into town; it could be very painful for us.

The answer is I don't know-just as you don't know. It suits you to say it is because nobody can prove you wrong and it becomes a stick to beat the club with.

Some budget facts that seem to escape you however are.

A new manager with some pedigree in the game. A support staff with some pedigree in the game. 21 new players signed. Fees paid for more than one player this season. All this has cost serious money.

Nonaenever.

If you could guarantee signing so many players that will all be a success then you would not be managing at Boundary Park. Yes expectations were/are higher but coming from the base that the club had reached over the summer then a team on the pitch seems like some sort of progress. Hopefully the team will improve as players achieve full fitness and get to know each other and the type of football the manager wants.

Have to agree about the apparent lack of foresight over cover for Clarke.

The answer is I don't know-just as you don't know. It suits you to say it is because nobody can prove you wrong and it becomes a stick to beat the club with.

A new manager with some pedigree in the game. A support staff with some pedigree in the game. 21 new players signed. Fees paid for more than one player this season. All this has cost serious money.

I think it's all been done with what's coming into the club though hasn't it? FFP etc... As opposed to SC bankrolling us. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong....

The manager retains the backing of the fans (would be extremely foolish to do anything else) but many people saw the last 2 games as home bankers. When good teams roll into town; it could be very painful for us.

You seem unfamiliar with the law of Typical Latics...

Edited by HarryBosch

Pot, kettle.

SC is a hero-he has spent money on signing 3 players, 2 from non league. Let us ignore the higher amounts coming in for selling players(+ our manager.)[/quote. Indeed. If he is pocket then would that not therefore somehow negate many of the pro Simon posts above?

Edited by Magister

Pot, kettle.

SC is a hero-he has spent money on signing 3 players, 2 from non league. Let us ignore the higher amounts coming in for selling players(+ our manager.)[/quote. Indeed. If he is pocket then would that not therefore somehow negate many of the pro Simon posts above?

Sorry, no idea what this means. Even after you edited it.

He signed 21 players??? That's the very very :censored:ing least he should've signed...we had none (well, apart from now departed Cassidy, Brown & unwanted Winchester!) You don't have a football team without players. Don't be such a mug! He's fulfilled the very very minimum of his requirement.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'm glad some of you don't own latics. Cellino comes to mind. Absolutely clueless the team has been together 5 weeks. The manager has already said not all signings now will be here come Jan and more will be added then. We have a manager of great pedigree at international level doing everything from 16's to national side. Progress won't happen massively overnight. About time people realise the budget that we work with and signings like Clarke, Flynn, green won't come cheap wages wise. Judge them at Christmas if we are steady 14/15th place by end of the season it's progress. Time to stop the griping and accept where we are and support the team win or lose! Saturday was the first game we lacked urgency and attacking threat yet fans have made out its the end of the world! Grow up and get supporting.

We look very much a scratch side at the moment, lacking understanding of each other's game and not quite there in terms of fitness or sharpness. There have been spells in the last two home games where we have clicked and put some good pacey passing moves together, granted these have been few and far between but look to my blu-tinted eyes as small acorns.

Just as in many walks of life, events take over and need to be reacted to, Fane's suspension and Ladapo's illness meant Robinson had to change the side so we are still going to have to wait for the consistency and understanding to develop. I've seen Flynn twice now and think I've touched the ball more times than he has. After half time against Shrewsbury I thought we had made a sub that I'd missed as I hadn't even clocked he was on the pitch in that first half. But, I presume Robinson keeps naming him to get him to match fitness and continuity whilst other changes are being forced on him?

Osei looks a real prospect and will need nurturing, we've got experience up top that I hope will help him develop but this will take time. I was fearing the worst for this season but I have more confidence that come November/December we will be a much better position. We won't threaten the top places this season and to think we would is setting yourself up for disappointment, we are a work in progress and as long as we can start next season with the nucleus of a side that has played together before and not have the mass exodus and incomings that we have seen this summer I'd be happy.

"ChaddySmoker"

Pot, kettle.

SC is a hero-he has spent money on signing 3 players, 2 from non league. Let us ignore the higher amounts coming in for selling players(+ our manager.)[/quote.

MAGISTER

Indeed. If he is IN pocket then would that not therefore somehow negate many of the pro Simon posts above?

That was the point that I was trying to make! We have made a profit on transfers.

He signed 21 players??? That's the very very :censored:ing least he should've signed...we had none (well, apart from now departed Cassidy, Brown & unwanted Winchester!) You don't have a football team without players. Don't be such a mug! He's fulfilled the very very minimum of his requirement.

Totally agree.

We are a work in progress and as long as we can start next season with the nucleus of a side that has played together before and not have the mass exodus and incomings that we have seen this summer I'd be happy.

At this stage we will have 3 players next summer.

Most importantly what happens when SC sells the manager?