Chesterfield

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did look like they were running on empty at times, it's been a busy first month both physically and maybe as importantly mentally, they've had a lot of catching up to do not only because of our late start but also because they are a complete group of strangers, ordinarily you'd retain a nucleus of at least half a dozen who'd already have a decent understanding of each other but our teams literally is starting from scratch, after a promising first five games maybe expectation overtook reality and we all the last couple of home games has done is prove there's still loads to work on.

As I tweeted during the game (to relieve the boredom)

"A lot of play on the wing. With our strikers. Who aren't wingers."

I agree it's too early to start chopping and changing and in the past, LJ learned the hard way that a settled team performs better. SR probably knows this too. But they do have to be good enough of which is still questionable (ex Scots prem, young loanees etc.)

I don't mind a relatively stable team but I do mind the tactics of being narrow, compact, hard to beat at home. It's great to employ away from home and will maybe stand us in good stead for these next 6 games of which 4 are away. But it does absolutely nothing for us at home. We need to be expansive with wingers on the wing (not Croft, he has no end product and isn't up to it at this level) and sometimes inviting the oppo on to us to gain more space on the counter. That also needs pace of which most in the side sorely lack. We need to risk losing at home to get more wins. I don't see that being in SR's mentality though...we will have to see. Whatever though...we won't be signing anyone else until January so this McLaughlin needs to buck up when called upon (on the wing.) And a few others need to overall.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Let's be right - there can be no criticism whatsoever of Simon Corney here. In fact, quite the opposite - he deserves credit (and personally, I gave him that credit on another post). We all accept it's early days BUT I think everyone thought that we would 1) perform better and 2) get more than 1 point - from 2 home games against mediocre opposition. With friendlies, league and cup games, people have had chance to assess the players (especially if they have witnessed most of them) and also the manager's approach etc. No doubt that Ripley, Clarke, Fane, Green and Osei have been good acquisitions but that's only 5 players. You can add Erwin to that list IF he can start to provide/create chances for others (he's clearly not going to score many himself). As for the rest of the acquisitions, the jury has to be firmly "out" on them.

That's a worry - some should come good hopefully - others look decidedly dodgy. I can't help feeling that every time Lee Croft comes on, he looks one of our better performers. He's intelligent on the ball and always looking to create something with a neat pass etc. No disrespect to Lee (I really like him) but what does that say about our chances of progress?

So no criticism of Simon C - but a question mark over whether the manager has made the right signings and/or can he blend them into a side capable of holding their own. Another crucial point; IF we have a team that capitulates in the absence of one player (Clarke) then that is unforgiveable.

The manager retains the backing of the fans (would be extremely foolish to do anything else) but many people saw the last 2 games as home bankers. When good teams roll into town; it could be very painful for us.

Two home bankers? Really?

I'd also be suprised if anyone expected us to perform better at this stage. It's a whole new team. Exactly what are they basing these expectations on?

Didn't sound like a classic on Saturday, but I was expecting a standard 1-0 home defeat, like we've seen so many times over the years. Robinson has built from the back, which is making us hard to beat, which will do for me while he experiments with our attack to find the right combination to get us firing.

We need to be expansive with wingers on the wing (not Croft, he has no end product and isn't up to it at this level.[/oquote]

Did we score? Hit the post and keeper made a good save after Croft came on, providing width.

Every time I see Croft he certainly looks up to it at this level. As Youngen points out.

Edited by TheBigDog

We look very much a scratch side at the moment, lacking understanding of each other's game and not quite there in terms of fitness or sharpness. There have been spells in the last two home games where we have clicked and put some good pacey passing moves together, granted these have been few and far between but look to my blu-tinted eyes as small acorns.

Despite this I don't think we look any worse than the periods we've been poor in previous years.

I don't think we look as bad as we did under Dunn.

And we can pick up points when we play badly which is very novel.

ame="boundaryblue80" post="869616" timestamp="1473681601"]

We need to be expansive with wingers on the wing (not Croft, he has no end product and isn't up to it at this level.[/oquote]

Every time I see Croft he certainly looks up to it at this level. As Youngen points out.

Not as a winger, which my post talked about. Last season I called for him to play through the middle. For a short period on Saturday, he came on and did just that. Pulled out a top drawer save from the keeper. Then McLaughlin came on and went wide left, Croft went wide right. Never to be seen again.

As I tweeted during the game (to relieve the boredom)

"A lot of play on the wing. With our strikers. Who aren't wingers."

I agree it's too early to start chopping and changing and in the past, LJ learned the hard way that a settled team performs better. SR probably knows this too. But they do have to be good enough of which is still questionable (ex Scots prem, young loanees etc.)

I don't mind a relatively stable team but I do mind the tactics of being narrow, compact, hard to beat at home. It's great to employ away from home and will maybe stand us in good stead for these next 6 games of which 4 are away. But it does absolutely nothing for us at home. We need to be expansive with wingers on the wing (not Croft, he has no end product and isn't up to it at this level) and sometimes inviting the oppo on to us to gain more space on the counter. That also needs pace of which most in the side sorely lack. We need to risk losing at home to get more wins. I don't see that being in SR's mentality though...we will have to see. Whatever though...we won't be signing anyone else until January so this McLaughlin needs to buck up when called upon (on the wing.) And a few others need to overall.

Would you accept him keeping us this workman like & getting us ultra, ultra organised until January or February if, after that, safety secured we opened up a bit and had a go at the playoffs?

Croft can influence in the middle of the park and to be fair he's been quite effective when brought on with twenty minutes to go but his days as a winger are gone especially if he is pushing for a start.

If we are looking for width what about a 5-3-2 or is that a bit outdated these days, full backs out on the touchline with a middle three of Clarke Burgess and Green or Fane, it might give us the width we're after which we're unlikely to get set up as we are.

Would you accept him keeping us this workman like & getting us ultra, ultra organised until January or February if, after that, safety secured we opened up a bit and had a go at the playoffs?

Yes, if results saw us picking up enough wins to keep our head above water. At present, I'm not convinced one way or the other but it's the nursery stages of our season. Time for any real concern is if we're the same now in 7 or 8 games time. At present, it's debate and conversation and that's all it should be.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Two home bankers? Really?

I'd also be suprised if anyone expected us to perform better at this stage. It's a whole new team. Exactly what are they basing these expectations on?

Didn't sound like a classic on Saturday, but I was expecting a standard 1-0 home defeat, like we've seen so many times over the years. Robinson has built from the back, which is making us hard to beat, which will do for me while he experiments with our attack to find the right combination to get us firing.

I was expecting better from the last 2 home games. Shrewsbury and Chesterfield at home should yield more than 1 point.

Yes, if results saw us picking up enough wins to keep our head above water. At present, I'm not convinced one way or the other but it's the nursery stages of our season. Time for any real concern is if we're the same now in 7 or 8 games time. At present, it's debate and conversation and that's all it should be.

I'm convinced this will happen, maybe even enough to more than just keep our head above water.

It's not going to be great to watch but I hope he sticks to his guns as I think it will result in our best League position in some time.

The entertainment can instead come from the boiling of piss on here & Twitter :grin:

If you think we'll have safety secured by January or February playing like we have the last two home games, I'd like some of what you're drinking...

The manager retains the backing of the fans (would be extremely foolish to do anything else) but many people saw the last 2 games as home bankers. When good teams roll into town; it could be very painful for us.

Very fair post overall, but I must admit I'm not too concerned about playing the better teams in this league. I think we're set up to frustrate a lot of these teams and I think we'll pick up points that neutrals wouldn't expect us to get. Similarly I think playing underachieving bigger teams like Coventry on Saturday will play into our hands.

While I'm annoyed about us only getting 1 point out of 6 from the back-to-back home games, I also think they're the types of games we're going to struggle in as we really seem to lack a clear cutting edge.

I'm convinced this will happen, maybe even enough to more than just keep our head above water.

It's not going to be great to watch but I hope he sticks to his guns as I think it will result in our best League position in some time.

The entertainment can instead come from the boiling of piss on here & Twitter :grin:

It was similar under Shez wasn't it? Gerrard came in, defence tightened up and we started sneaking wins. We weren't free flowing from what I remember but results were going our way so everyone was happy. Would take that again. I'll give Robinson the benefit of the doubt and say that Shez was able to achieve that more quickly as he's more experienced and the squad was fairly settled (albeit pretty :censored:). I also reckon we'll come good and results will pick up and could sneak the top half. Which would be something to build on at least.

At this stage we will have 3 players next summer.

Most importantly what happens when SC sells the manager?

If by July 1st next year the only 4 players we have remaining are the 4 contracted players (Fane, Flynn, Banks and Dummigan) then I probably won't be too disappointed as it'll likely mean we've had a :censored: season.

Realistically though that won't happen.

Out of the 24 players out of contract next summer I'd guess that we'll keep 14 (maybe selling 2 of 3) with 10 being released. No different from the majority of teams. As proven this season there will be enough free agents and youngsters to replenish the squad.

I'll be annoyed if Robinson gets sold before next season starts, but with our track record in the last 18 months when it comes to managers I'm kind of resigned to something similar happening.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

The cunning plan is for loanees not to play too well before January so their clubs won't want them back and cancel their contracts, we will then get them on frees, they will then play like world beaters and we will sell them at the end of the season for undisclosed millions. :wink:

Edited by BP1960