Rochdale Match

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesnt happen in 99% of cases though.

I guess there were sell on clauses fro Spencer, Eaves and Philliskirk. Didn't get much out of those. When will we start getting excited about the one presumably in the deal that took the youth keeper to Everton?

How exactly are they "fickle"?

fickle

ˈfɪk(ə)l/

adjective

•  

changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties or affections.

Fickle in that they don't want to pay to watch a team that loses more than it wins, most folk couldn't give a flying :censored: who the owner is or what they do as long as the team wins.

I dont think that many disagree with that statement. We are now at the same level in virtually all respects as;

Rochdale, Bury, Fleetwood. AFC Wimbledon, Northampton, Shrewsbury, Oxford and Brizzle Rovers.

I cannot think of any arguments to put forward that we are a 'bigger' club than any of those 8.

Brizzle Rovers one could argue are now much bigger.... they get double our home gate every week and have a multi millionaire owner.... Edited by lookersstandandy

Brizzle Rovers one could argue are now much bigger.... they get double our home gate every week and have a multi millionaire owner....

A Lisbon taxi driver, Benfica fan said to me last week "to you, your team Oldham Athletic are the biggest team in the world. That's all that matters"

He was right.

We just accept now that anyone half-decent in our team won't be there for long. If we ever get the attendance side of things sorted, we might be able to hold on to them for a bit longer. Mind you, the greatest bit of business by any club ever is when you lot got half a million for Trotman.

Are your attendances likely to improve though? It's the best period in their history, they're playing Bury, Bolton and Latics in League One, yet they still only get 3000 fans every week. It's not a criticism - we can hardly talk - but surely if you were going to get more through the gate it would have started to increase by now?

It shows how impressive Dale's ability to consistently build a competitive squad is, and it's what we should be trying to replicate before trying to move forward.

I'd give him till end of next season. Controversial. At some point someone needs to be given time. Regardless what happens government him next season as well

I understand this train of thought. However I thought Talbot, Moore (if it wasn't for Shez doing so well I'd have thought he probably deserved it) and Penney should've got a 2nd year so hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Just because we take a couple of thousand to Dale it doesn't really compensate for the sub 3000 home crowds we are moving towards, as massive as some of our fans like to think we are a clubs size/spending power is generally based on how many they get on the gate at home, there's not much between us and Dale in that respect.

A Lisbon taxi driver, Benfica fan said to me last week "to you, your team Oldham Athletic are the biggest team in the world. That's all that matters"

He was right.

He is right.That is why we support our home town team and always will despite the crap we get fed almost each week .

Just because we take a couple of thousand to Dale it doesn't really compensate for the sub 3000 home crowds we are moving towards, as massive as some of our fans like to think we are a clubs size/spending power is generally based on how many they get on the gate at home, there's not much between us and Dale in that respect.

That fact is solely down to our owner and who runs it. I honestly think if we were taken over tomorrow, promises were made, a bit of money in their pockets (nothing daft) and the stench of this regime was blown away that very quickly we'd have another 1000 coming. And further success would bring more back. The silent boycott is well and truly alive despite what Corneys Zombies want to think. They don't spend the £24 at BP but save it for Bury/Bolton/Rochdale. Despite whatever the result might be. As a mate said to me the other day, they've turned us into the longest funeral ever. I know loads of them doing this.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Are your attendances likely to improve though? It's the best period in their history, they're playing Bury, Bolton and Latics in League One, yet they still only get 3000 fans every week. It's not a criticism - we can hardly talk - but surely if you were going to get more through the gate it would have started to increase by now?

It shows how impressive Dale's ability to consistently build a competitive squad is, and it's what we should be trying to replicate before trying to move forward.

Not sure. When Hill first came in, they reached levels comparable with yours but now they've dropped off to about 2500 home fans on a good day. That's pretty pathetic really. I think once the novelty had worn off, the fair-weather fans just got bored with it all and would rather watch the Premier League on an illegal stream. Plus there's the cost of it all.

Our board are great at running the football side of it but useless at getting attendances up. We've got a new bloke in, the one who initiated that Hartlepool season tickets for £100 a few years ago, and he's introduced very cheap half season tickets. Hopefully they'll be something similar for the full season next year. Then it's about getting your hands dirty and getting out there and selling them rather than just sticking something on social media and hoping for the best. We'll see.

Two other reasons why we'll always struggle for fans: a lack of any meaningful history and a ground hidden away from most passing traffic. Latics have the advantage over Dale in both respects. Plus you also have a brilliant community team who I've worked with from time to time and who do a lot of excellent unseen work for your club (can't speak for ours).