Latics v Posh

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought we were flat first half, raised our game in the second and it was great to see 2 goals, one from open play and to have 3 sides of the ground singing again - as a PR exercise then its done what its set out to achieve, how we fair in the long run is anyone's guess as to be honest Peterborough were very poor and flattered us, which surprised me given their current league standing, Bradford on Saturday is a real test. If say 500 of the 3.5k extra fans that turned up come back on Saturday then that would be good, but history tells me that's not going to happen I dont think....

Onwards and upwards as they say!

Edited by Andyrob75

Felt that for the first 60 minutes last night that it was very poor and no improvement on the last few games under SR.

The old problems of lack of pace of support to any attacking situations; lots of huffing and puffing without creating any clear cut chances; failing to take the handful of half-chances that came our way......were all present and correct.

Couldn't see where a goal was going to come from....and then from a bit of continued huffing and puffing from some set pieces we get a penalty.

First of the season I think. And aided by the vocal shouts from 3 or 4 appeals - benefit of a bigger crowd.

And then suddenly the team gets an injection of confidence and for the last 20 minutes is a different team.

Confidence is a big factor in sport - and we saw that last night. Last season Shez didn't turn us into a free flowing attacking football side, we ground out results (like last night and last weekend)....fingers crossed this continues.

Banks corners were pinpoint for the most part. Holloway won loads of headers, and had decent support at times which we've not seen enough of from the midfielders. Ripley was safe as in goal like usual with the little bits he had to do, Clarke, Gerrard and wilson were solid as per.

Fane was excellent, especially when we'd just took the lead and others were tiring. Don't care what anyone says, there is a very useful player in him at this level, breaks up the play so well at times, just lacks the ability/confidence to run with it or go forwards more often.

So pleased we managed to get the win cause these deals usually act as curses. Referee and lino were atrocious, don't understand why Linesmen don't make decisions anymore. Even consult refs on some throw ins, just make a effing decisions for christ sake.

Edited by we hate man,u and city to

Referee and lino were atrocious, don't understand why Linesmen don't make decisions anymore. Even consult refs on some throw ins, just make a effing decisions for christ sake.

Ref was awful. Magister will no doubt jump to his defence. How many times did he talk to clarke and their player about holding. Theirs had 2 arms round clarke, he called them both over and then watched their man rugby tackle clarke to the ground immediately. Didn't bother giving a pen. Luckily gave one 5 seconds later. Didn't see what it was for

Ref was awful. Magister will no doubt jump to his defence. How many times did he talk to clarke and their player about holding. Theirs had 2 arms round clarke, he called them both over and then watched their man rugby tackle clarke to the ground immediately. Didn't bother giving a pen. Luckily gave one 5 seconds later. Didn't see what it was for

I've watched it back about 7 times and still don't know what it was given for.

It did begin to feel like a wasted opportunity when it looked like a goal from Peterborough would win the game. Playing Rekford sic was a risk but to be fair his confidence improved so that by the end of the game he was winning tackles and not giving the ball away. The two signings who started the game improved to the point when I thought they won't score we could get a draw.

Peterborough looked to have some good players but their plan of falling over at the slightest touch and holding on to our players all over the park didn't seem to help although none of them were booked. They are the standard for most of the teams in this league it is just that we have been worse up until now.

The game was won because of the threat we pose from corners and because we were able to win lots of corners. The pressure on the Ref just grew and grew as their desperate holding got worse. Step up Green, everything crossed, to score his first goal for us.

The elixir of confidence washed through the team and Holloway brilliant control and cross was rewarded by A GOAL FROM OPEN PLAY!!!!!

4 3 3 looks a good shape for us with Fane and Holloway making up the spine of Ripley Clarke/Gerrard.

It's a perfect day. 3 2 0 1 3 1 6

I was in north stand corner dead in line with it. I think after waving it away he realised he had dropped a bollock, and just waited for any contact at all to give a penalty. Or maybe the Lino was in his ear saying what the :censored: you doing ? Although as stated above they rarely get involved these days. Maybe they should be renamed as offside detectors?

The ref clearly points at the offending player.

But I still can't see it.

I'm almost positive he gave it because he knew the foul on Clarke (?) moments before was definitely a foul, and he didn't give it.

Watched and watched it, there's absolutely no foul. Ah well...

Edited by josh_latics

I was in north stand corner dead in line with it. I think after waving it away he realised he had dropped a bollock, and just waited for any contact at all to give a penalty. Or maybe the Lino was in his ear saying what the :censored: you doing ? Although as stated above they rarely get involved these days. Maybe they should be renamed as offside detectors?

There was no complaint from the offending player or any posh players for that matter. I found the free-kick he gave to them when fane got elbowed most bizarre....

Camera misses it but there was a blatant shirt pull I think on Holloway

As blatant as the one seconds earlier they he didn't give ? I think he played to the letter of the law we could have had about 6 last night from corners ? How many league penalties have we have btw ? I know it's not many , because you have to be in their box to get one I suppose !!

I've watched it back about 7 times and still don't know what it was given for.

Every corner their number 4 was throwing clarke all over and their number 5 was throwing gerrard all over.As the ref seemed to be 'peter clarke bind' I thought the pen was given for a foul on gerrard

Every corner their number 4 was throwing clarke all over and their number 5 was throwing gerrard all over.As the ref seemed to be 'peter clarke bind' I thought the pen was given for a foul on gerrard

Might have been Gerrard Sav, all I saw was the shirt pull (and it was blatant) and the ref point immediately to the spot.