Oxford (h)

Thought it was a great game, actually looked like 2 decent teams tonight, we could and should have scored 4 tonight which was a good sign, no one had a bad game, and Erwin will win MOTM but the standout tonight was Green who was magnificent. Taylor also had his best game.

Two players who I thought had ability under Robinson looking to have come good under Sheridan in recent games

As much as we clearly needed some new faces, the old-guard (can you say that about players here for one season?) had to step up

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripley - some great stops. Should have stayed on his feet rather than commit but we can forgive him 1 mistake.

Hunt - unlucky to get injured was doing ok

Gerrard - solid tonight

Clarke - usual solid self some great blocks 1st half

Wilson - Mr reliable good performance

McLaughlin - excellent. What a ball for the goal. Great signing by Robbo

Green - MOTM for me. He was everywhere. Oustanding

Banks - someone try telling me he played well while keeping a straight face

Taylor - a lot better tonight. Played some good balls

Holloway - missed 2 sitters 3rd chance looked like it crossed line but his hold up play is fantastic

Erwin - was in the right position for 1st goal and took his 2nd really well. Looked fired up tonight

Law - good solid game when he came on. Must have pissed sheridan off to not be allowed on set pieces.

Give me full blooded gutsy performances like that until the end of the season and were staying up! Barring a defensive howler from Josh Law absolutely perfect tonight.

Erwin to start every week now? Remember when we couldn't get rid of Brian Wilson, what a transformation up there with Clarke and Ripley as players of the season for me. £300 for next season? Yes please ?

I think we've beaten a decent Oxford side there. They made us work for it and we really did.

The Banks and Law passes that lead to the penalty were shockers. But that was a peach of a cross from McLaughlin for the winner.

Was it Mclaughlan? Could of sworn it was Wilson. Either way like you say, great cross and a great header to match.

Enjoyed that tonight, I know that might sound obvious as we have won, but, fair play to Oxford they played some decent football, their midfield movement was outstanding.

AAH must have enjoyed someone playing closer to him as Erwin did and I think we can safely say if it had been earlier in the season there would have been no one there to knock in the rebound off the bar.

Taylor and Green were superb tonight and Gerrard was the best of the defence for me.

On to Saturday where a point will be a decent result.

Ripley - some great stops. Should have stayed on his feet rather than commit but we can forgive him 1 mistake.

Hunt - unlucky to get injured was doing ok

Gerrard - solid tonight

Clarke - usual solid self some great blocks 1st half

Wilson - Mr reliable good performance

McLaughlin - excellent. What a ball for the goal. Great signing by Robbo

Green - MOTM for me. He was everywhere. Oustanding

Banks - someone try telling me he played well while keeping a straight face

Taylor - a lot better tonight. Played some good balls

Holloway - missed 2 sitters 3rd chance looked like it crossed line but his hold up play is fantastic

Erwin - was in the right position for 1st goal and took his 2nd really well. Looked fired up tonight

Law - good solid game when he came on. Must have pissed sheridan off to not be allowed on set pieces.

Cheers for that - these player overviews are great for Latics exiles like myself, gives a good overview despite and possibly because of the debate that follows.

Really good game and I though everyone played well tonight but the front two set the tone with really a really good front two performance. First time I've seen Erwin put himself about. And holloway looked dangerous and really should have scored. We should have been 2-0 up before we scored. Special mention for green who I thought looked great and mcglochlin who worked hard and cross for the winner was superb. Back to 4-5-1 at Peterborough i rec with shez making full use of the squad

0-0 would be a fine result from that one

At this point the fewer points Port Vale get the better. They occupy that last place and we're 5 points clear of them. I want them to lose every game now to help ensure our own safety, it that means the likes of Shrews and MK beating them then so be it, I'm not fussed about taking over those teams so long as we don't end up bottom 4.

Actually quite enjoyed that tonight, could easily have been a couple of goals up after 10 minutes.

Hopefully Hunt coming off was just a precaution as we look alot better with him at left back. One of Green's better games, he definitely plays better as part of a midfield two rather than part of a 3/out wide.

Two cracking passes by Taylor to set up Holloway and Mclaughlin and they both should have buried them.

On 43 points now, hopefully another 9 will do it.

Difference for erwin was that he played a particular role which ive accused him of not doing in the past. Ive never known if he's a box finisher, target man, false 9 or the other random named positions...

Today he played up front almost as a target man... No drifting out wide... No dropping deep... Up front

Same again sat please

Edited by Fruitygoo

Best £100 i have paid into the Trust .Seems yet another player who is coming good under Shez.Still in the :censored: and far from safe but at least we are heading in the right direction away from rock bottom.

Tale of 2 strikers tonight for me.

Holloway appeared to do everything but score hit the bar hit the post and worked the keeper and fought hard against the centre backs. I'm not that fussed about it not going in for him tonight he's now getting in positions to miss them something he wasn't doing previously. If he keeps doing that the goals will come.

Erwin who I actually don't think he did that much certainly not more than he usually does infact I heard Ripley yell at him F@#kin head it!!!! In the first half when he lost out on a header. but he's stuck it in the back of the net twice and it's won us the game. Happy for him to do that everytime he puts on a blue shirt as far as I'm concerned. The two goals will give him confidence.

Of the rest I thought Taylor looked more himself I thought Green continued where he left off on Saturday winning the ball making interceptions and laying it off and getting up abd down the pitch well. Mclaughlin gave a good performance in his natural position a lovely cross for the winner. Wilson Gerrard Clarke and Ripley were their usual selves.

Happy with that we are in a far stronger position now than at the start of the night.

Edited by GlossopLatic