Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A centre mid of Fane/Banks/Green is relegation fodder.

Games in this league are often won and lost in the middle. Trust Shez will have seen this pretty quickly today and act on it this week.

Expecting to see Welsh in but I just hope hes not another Green.

2 hours ago, Dayvan Cowboy said:

Just to add, I think Shez got it wrong. He should've gone 4-4-2 from the start, McLaughlin isn't the type of player that can play a free role/off the strikers. Once Gardner's available have him and Fane in the centre, McLaughlin and Tope on the flanks

27 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Wrong formation.

It's bugged me for years that managers at a lower level think playing 442 makes them look unsophisticated or such - players at this level need to be playing 442 and not worry about the manager's weekly formation, just play the natural game and concentrate on their passing and finding space.

2 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

What an anticlimax that was...

Looks like the goalkeeper is the least of our worries. Little shakey at times, distribution could improve and needs to grow in confidence to come off his line - but a decent debut from Wilson.

Shame we have a pretty non-existant midfield. Fane was decent but needs to be central. Green was okay defensively but shocking going forward, his final ball was attrocious. Banks was typical banks, a non-league player stealing a living in our engine room. McLaughlin was limited, plays better on the wing.

It'll be interesting when Gardner comes in, hopefully to replace Banks. Still think we need someone in the middle to run things more effectively.

I'd change things on Wednesday though:

Wilson

Wilson Clarke Gerrard

McLaughlin Fawns Fane Green Hunt

Duffus Davies

Agree with absolutely everything said. The only thing I'd change is Stott in for Gerrard until he loses some weight. He's too fat and slow and gets shown up. If he was to play a 442 I'd have Brian in CB and bring Dummigan in at RB 

The constant long ball to bypass the midfield meant we were always giving possession up and therefore always under pressure. Their centre halfs were winning everything and we had no plan B.

Being able to keep the ball buys everybody time and we can't do it.

Gardner and somebody like Palmer/Baxter in alongside Fane would keep us ticking over and see us retaining possession in more dangerous areas. 

I'd be tempted to play McLaughlin as a full back so he has more time to get his crosses in, take his ball for Erwin's header last season for example. When he goes one on one they invariably get blocked.

The only players who don't seem rushed on the ball are Gerrard, Clarke and Banks. Unfortunately that's all Banks has in his locker.

4 hours ago, ddot_m said:

Bad... very bad... Davies and Holloway can't play together, Flynn an embarrassment of a sub - for all the stick Banks gets at least he didn't shy away from trying to play a ball.

Early days, but come on Shez, players where they belong please!

Time to work on plan B, passing.

No harm Banks was feckin awful sat right behind Shez and when the second goal went in Shez shouted to Banks 4 feckin times referring to Psyne running past him. Don't like running down our own players but Banks was pure pish today.

Abseloutely horrendous performance. As people have said we had play-off form under Sheridan when he took over last season...playing 3-5-2 then converts to a 4-4-2 diamond today....Green on the right, Banks on the left and McLaughlin at the top did not work at all....the worrying thing is that Sheridan (as class as a midfielder he was) thinks that was the way to go.....baffling. Fane and Hunt looked decent the rest very worrying....Gerrard still 2 stone overweight. All strikers are a carbon copy of each other would like to see Fawns given a run out with A another of the other 3. Just very poor against a steady league 1 side who didnt have to do anything spectacular to get a result, turn up disciplined in good shape and pick us off when needed. Lack of anything creative in midfield will end up being a major worry 

From what I saw of the game, Banks was total bobbins. Flynn was a 500% improvement but we were always a midfielder short. Without the extra man, we were always going to struggle to supply Holloway who gave up too easily and Davies, who made giving up look ambitious. Agree with Fane who was the man of the 34 minutes I saw and tried to be the extra man but with his final ball never fully reaching his intended target, he put the others under pressure which exposed the defence.

B. Wilson looked solid, Clark hoofed and puffed and Gerrard was quite simply jelly on a plate. 

Barca Mac kept the ball well and caused them a few problems, but the only time we looked like scoring was when Duffus and Tope came on, but the game was lost by then.

3-5-2 for me next game.

Keeper Wilson was Ok

What worries most about Holloway is that I don't remember him missing chances even going back to last season and that in itself is the most worrying. We all know he can win headers and hold the ball up and that's good but he lacks anticipation of where a chance is going to come. Davies had a chance yesterday  just before they scored which he should have done alot better with but he got into the position to miss. For that reason I will back him to get double figure if he starts regularly.

What's needed to be said about formations and the midfield has already been said. I'd go with 3-5-2 with the personnel we've got. It's along way to go yet I'd like to see a CM plus the triallist number 17 come in between now and the end of August. I think he would work very well at the head of a diamond or infront of 2 CMS in a 3-5-2.

Still along way to go though just a few minor tweaks and I think it will click.

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Banks and Green very poor, Did Holloway have one attempt at goal? 

The subs made no difference at all which is concerning. Having said that Duffus must start against Burton.

Should we have played a game last Tuesday? the looked looked drained rather than the expected super fit.

Oxford were far sharper.

Should we have played a game last Tuesday? 

1960 Are you serious...it was a friendly kick about!!!

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ideally we could do with both a decent holding midfielder would have nullified Payne yesterday.

I think Fane is that player......a player at the side of him who is prepared to put a shift in would be a massive improvement.

I'm not a fan of the diamond as it doesn't pull the defenders out of position as much as wingers.

Brought down to Earth with a bump.  Clearly the tactics didn't work and players played crap, but I'm not writing off these players and this squad just yet.  The midfield 3 of Green, Banks and Fane is limited and I especially have reservations about Banks and the amount he puts himself about, but Shez managed to get them working as a unit last season so I have faith that he can do it again.  Not saying that we couldn't do with an extra midfielder in the squad but I'm not overly worried about one bad performance.

Shez went for experience and experience let him and us down.  However Fane should be central.  Ryan is not a number 10 having done his best work for us on the wing.  Green has played wide before but it doesn't suit him going forward.  Hunt was where he should be but Clarke/Gerrard/Wilson should not play together either Gerrard or Wilson replaced by Stott or Edmundson.

Davies and Holloway get in each others way and that pushed Holloway wide.  Duffus is not the same as them he is much sharper and more aware looking for space and a return ball. Fawns could develop into a number 10 but it doesn't look like he will get the game time.

The players we have suit 3 5 2 better.  We all saw this last season so why start with a 4 4 2 diamond.  The Chelsea 3 4 3 could work but the whole team would have to attack and defend rather than leaving three up field.

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Should we have played a game last Tuesday? 

1960 Are you serious...it was a friendly kick about!!!

Shez said he didn't want it. 

There's always a risk of injuries too.

Edited by BP1960

11 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

What service Holloway dealt with today would duffus do better with? 

My Dad who's not an Oldham fan went yesterday and said he was impressed by some of Holloway's flick-ons, but we were just so defensive there's no support, nor did Davies didn't read any of them.

The front two will have to strike a better chord than that over the season. It was quite evident they'd never played with each other before.

That said, I thought Holloway looked uninterested yesterday at times. The whole team looked lacking of ambition and character in fact. Where was the drive?