Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:
Sounds like Necarcu loan is settled.... which is good news. It would be interesting to know whether this was settled on sale - from Corney to Marco - & the paperwork is late, or whether Marco has settled it himself. I’d cut him some slack if it was the latter.

Well... look at that. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Just saying... good news.  

Just now, kowenicki said:

Edit... unless of course another charge appears as a replacement.  😬

Agreed... on both counts. If Abdallah has settled this, he deserves credit. It’s where honest Kamyoonikayshun would be a good thing.

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Agreed... on both counts. If Abdallah has settled this, he deserves credit. It’s where honest Kamyoonikayshun would be a good thing.

Someone has started a rumour on Twitter saying Corney has settled it.... Why on earth would he settle a charge secured against the club that he no longer has an interest in?

8 minutes ago, TamarBridgeLatic said:

Total speculation but wasn't it alleged that there were undisclosed debts and Corney was being sued by Marco over them?

He paid it off due to a forthcoming court case regarding this matter?

Otherwise I'm totally in the dark but it's a step forward.

good point.

57 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Someone has started a rumour on Twitter saying Corney has settled it.... Why on earth would he settle a charge secured against the club that he no longer has an interest in?

Mmmm. Unless the sale terms clearly stipulated it was Corney's to settle (from the sale funds)..... I agree it seems highly unlikely.

I suspect very little money actually changed hands for the club.... with Marco taking on all the liabilities of which this was one. If he's therefore settled it - possibly from the Edmundson funds? - then this is ultimately a good thing.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Mmmm. Unless the sale terms clearly stipulated it was Corney's to settle (from the sale funds)..... I agree it seems highly unlikely.

I suspect very little money actually changed hands for the club.... with Marco taking on all the liabilities of which this was one. If he's therefore settled it - possibly from the Edmundson funds? - then this is ultimately a good thing.

Corney had personably guaranteed the debt? 

Settled it to avoid being pursued,  now coming after Abdallah?

I have no idea if it’s true, just thinking out loud 

4 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Corney had personably guaranteed the debt? 

Settled it to avoid being pursued,  now coming after Abdallah?

I have no idea if it’s true, just thinking out loud 

I’m relying on my ever-fading memory of insolvency law here but assuming that AL is the principal debtor and Corney has paid off the liability as guarantor, then he will have rights of subrogation meaning he could open up a world of pain for the owner particularly if he gets remedies after judgement.  Could lead to a Statutory Demand and potentially, personal insolvency.

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect this will all be part of the ongoing claim and counter-claim between various parties regarding the purchase of the Club and the extent of what that includes.

15 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

I’m relying on my ever-fading memory of insolvency law here but assuming that AL is the principal debtor and Corney has paid off the liability as guarantor, then he will have rights of subrogation meaning he could open up a world of pain for the owner particularly if he gets remedies after judgement.  Could lead to a Statutory Demand and potentially, personal insolvency.

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect this will all be part of the ongoing claim and counter-claim between various parties regarding the purchase of the Club and the extent of what that includes.

Thanks for the reply. 

I guess we will never find out the answer categorically, all just part of the very complicated web that is Oldham Athletic. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The reason , anyone else other than Abdallah  clearing outstanding debts .. Well done Al.

10 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

The reason , anyone else other than Abdallah  clearing outstanding debts .. Well done Al.

Well it might no be AL, there is a scenario where that could be.

But frankly... I don't give a shit, so long as the debt is no longer set against Oldham Athletic.

I'm not 100% on it but I think Corney accepted responsibility for one of the charged debts at the time of the sale. I know nothing much about transferring charges but if Corney wasn't admitting to have any assets of his own might there have been no option but to leave it against the club? In any case it could that Lemmy has pursued Corney for it.

Archived