Ex players and that

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

They'll probably be happy with going up and I'd be willing to bet that happens. It's almost as if they stuck with a manager in circumstances where some clubs would have fired him. 

Evatt is continuing where he left off at Barrow but with a far better squad of player's, sticking by him when their fans were baying for his blood was a masterstroke.

You don't become bad overnight and they knew it.

50 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Evatt is continuing where he left off at Barrow but with a far better squad of player's, sticking by him when their fans were baying for his blood was a masterstroke.

With the amount of money they've thrown at their squad twice this season, anything less than promotion is failure.

Even David Dunn would take them up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

They'll probably be happy with going up and I'd be willing to bet that happens. It's almost as if they stuck with a manager in circumstances where some clubs would have fired him. 

Their spell wasn’t that bad and it was in his early days. They just threw money at it. As they do. Good for them. It’ll end in tears again no doubt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

“A master stroke.”

.....called cash. 

😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Their spell wasn’t that bad and it was in his early days. They just threw money at it. As they do. Good for them. It’ll end in tears again no doubt. 

Bit unfair on Evatt. Plenty of examples of owners throwing cash at a team and it not working. 

37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Bit unfair on Evatt. Plenty of examples of owners throwing cash at a team and it not working. 

In the lower leagues it usually works.

But yeah, Salford is a good example that backs up your comment this season. Poor Richie.  

12 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

In the lower leagues it usually works.

But yeah, Salford is a good example that backs up your comment this season. Poor Richie.  

Yep. Just shows that money isn’t everything. Personal ability, environment, spending wisely etc. Salford seem a bit trigger happy these days (seemingly opposite to Neville’s punditry view). Bolton could have got rid but didn’t, paying off now. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

“A master stroke.”

.....called cash. 

😂

It'll cost em a whole lot more if they don't go up and recoup the outlay

Evatt has already proved himself to be an excellent manager at the previous level and this, very soon he'll get to try League one.

The board at Bolton could have make the very same mistakes made here but they didn't and you can throw as much cash at that as you so wish.

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

It'll cost em a whole lot more if they don't go up and recoup the outlay

Evatt has already proved himself to be an excellent manager at the previous level and this, very soon he'll get to try League one.

The board at Bolton could have make the very same mistakes made here but they didn't and you can throw as much cash at that as you so wish.

...still needed cash. 🤷‍♂️ 

That’s all I’m saying.  We’ll see how good he is soon enough. Well also see how patient the owners, who  need to start generating serious income sharpish, are too. 

Edited by kowenicki

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

That’s all I’m saying.  We’ll see how good he is soon enough. Well also see how patient the owners, who  need to start generating serious income sharpish, are too. 

Nobody's doing that for a good while, we all have to accept that one but I don't see Bolton going bust before we do

13 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Nobody's doing that for a good while, we all have to accept that one.

but they need to... they have £3.25million to pay by the Summer to avoid starting next season on -15.  If they are still in league 2 then they will panic. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

We had cash, we just pissed it away. Menig the most egregious example. 

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We had cash, we just pissed it away. Menig the most egregious example. 

Perhaps. Personally, I am always confused and torn between the “not a pot to piss in” lads and the “paying Menig 15k per week” lads (or whatever it was).

Anyway, I’m not sure why this ‘whataboutery’ is relevant. I was merely pointing out Bolton spend cash like water and have for 20 years. Not every conversation needs to be about/include us. 

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

but they need to... they have £3.25million to pay by the Summer to avoid starting next season on -15.  If they are still in league 2 then they will panic. 

They're a big enough club, smart ground and they'll be plenty of takers if the need arises

Championship within two seasons no problem at all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

They're a big enough club, smart ground and they'll be plenty of takers if the need arises

Championship within two seasons no problem at all.

.... which is exactly what they were telling themselves for the last twenty years whilst running up £173m of debt.

They are doing exactly the same again now that debt was written off (partially footed by the taxpayer).

They are not as big as their spending, and haven't been for years.

4 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

.... which is exactly what they were telling themselves for the last twenty years whilst running up £173m of debt.

They are doing exactly the same again now that debt was written off (partially footed by the taxpayer).

They are not as big as their spending, and haven't been for years.

All I can say to that one is, I wish we'd of even had the opportunity but I guess that comes down to size and stature plus the ambition to do it

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

All I can say to that one is, I wish we'd of even had the opportunity but I guess that comes down to size and stature plus the ambition to do it

The only reason they didn't go the way of Bury and Macclesfield is their connections to the FA

Most other clubs who try their recipe for success will end up defunct

You have to invest some money to get success, and we have historically spent too little, but there are limits.  Bolton spend other people's money way beyond their size or stature.  

Do you really think Bury fans think that last promotion out of League Two was worth extinction?  That's not ambition, it's suicidal