Ex players and that

On 5/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, TheBigDog said:

And also… despite his poor header when defending and ultimately conceding the third goal, I thought that Jameson had a decent game yesterday:peepwall:

On 7/13/2022 at 5:52 PM, TheBigDog said:

Technically good player. I liked him.

May 8 2022 - praise from the dog for Kyle 😉

52 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We truly are the club for footballers who have issues with the "foot" and "ball" parts of the game.

Run around a lot at Boundary Park and you'll have fans for life.

Christ don’t get me started on this, infuriating to say the least. Shit player loses the ball, said player runs after the ball and get applauded time and time again. Why not get a player that doesn’t continuously lose the bloody ball! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Christ don’t get me started on this, infuriating to say the least. Shit player loses the ball, said player runs after the ball and get applauded time and time again. Why not get a player that doesn’t continuously lose the bloody ball! 

And yes I’m aware players are this level are average. But some of the paces which get knocked out of play for a throw in makes you wonder if some of these have a bet on for number of throw ins. 

4 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We truly are the club for footballers who have issues with the "foot" and "ball" parts of the game.

Run around a lot at Boundary Park and you'll have fans for life.

Even the very best footballers run around a lot you know, never hurt Mo Salah so a player starting out (which they invariably are with us) would do well to follow that lead, Garrity was a bit hit and miss and came in for criticism but his hard work and graft was appreciated at Vale. 

We've had players at BP in recent years and further back than that infact who polarised opinion yet have gone on to do just fine elsewhere, both grafters and ball players it's about getting the right balance for me and appreciate each player for who they are, all the way back to Milligan and Henry our fans have backed a battler and rightly so they are the foundation of many a good team and I'd rather have someone who puts it about than a shithouse fairy whose scared to put their foot in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

our fans have backed a battler and rightly so they are the foundation of many a good team and I'd rather have someone who puts it about than a shithouse fairy whose scared to put their foot in.

Being a battler and putting a tackle in is a separate matter.  

My issue is the lads who aren't even good at that but get a free pass because they run around a lot.

When you compare it to the stick that gets thrown at some players who can actually do something with the ball, it feels unfair.

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Maybe Because those players cost more then we can afford?

On 7/15/2022 at 7:53 PM, SweeperKeeper said:

Being a battler and putting a tackle in is a separate matter.  

My issue is the lads who aren't even good at that but get a free pass because they run around a lot.

When you compare it to the stick that gets thrown at some players who can actually do something with the ball, it feels unfair.

All the great sides,  the likes of City, Liverpool & Real Madrid etc. are praised and rightly so how fast they win back the ball.  By hard work. 

For me it's the first basic a manager/coach should demand. Then work on the next step. 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

All the great sides,  the likes of City, Liverpool & Real Madrid etc. are praised and rightly so how fast they win back the ball.  By hard work. 

For me it's the first basic a manager/coach should demand. Then work on the next step. 

Lags is right, too often we saw last season players lose possession with no one to cover for the mistake. 

Another example was yesterday when Harry Vaughan was caught in possession with no one to cover within a dozen yards of him.

As he says watch the Spain international team where awareness of covering for colleagues rare errors is drummed into the team, they don't go flying into tackles just nip the ball from under the feet of the opposition.

An unsung example of this in the great Joe Royle era was Mike Milligan, he came from a local non league background so it shows much of it is down to the desire of individuals as well as coaching.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

…yesterday when Harry Vaughan was caught in possession with no one to cover within a dozen yards of him.

Vaughan was totally to blame for losing the ball though - he was too slow to bring the ball under control and unaware of the opposition player closing him down. 

Also, at that point in the game Latics had subbed Hope, Hogan and McGahey with Sheron dropping into the back four from his covering midfield role.  So the balance of the side was disrupted, which could explain the lack of cover.

I’ve said before that, this season is pivotal for young Harry. Time is on his side and he does have talent. 
However, as well as bulking up, he has to show progress or he will remain a bit part player.

I don't think Milligan was unsung BP.

I think he was recognised as being a vital part of that great side.

In my opinion he was one of the less gifted players, but like many players when playing with better players they too look better.

He and Henry had relatively simple jobs- get the ball knock it five yards to one of the many runners be it winger or attacking full back. They did that job well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

I don't think Milligan was unsung BP.

I think he was recognised as being a vital part of that great side.

In my opinion he was one of the less gifted players, but like many players when playing with better players they too look better.

He and Henry had relatively simple jobs- get the ball knock it five yards to one of the many runners be it winger or attacking full back. They did that job well.

The first player we ever sold for seven figures and bought back at the first opportunity. He was very sung. 

7 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

@BP1960 any idea who lost the ball for the goal? Not seen it mentioned.

It was Harry Vaughan not strong enough on the ball and was robbed. leading to their fist goal, The disappointing aspect for me his head went down after that and maybe the reason despite his technical ability Shez won't start him, same with  Bahamboula last season I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lags said:

All well and good in the top leagues where these days are ultra fit.

The vast majority of players at our level probably haven’t got, and are maybe incapable of achieving that degree of fitness.

There will be plenty of technically gifted players in the National League but won’t have the engine required to play much higher.

We have seen many examples of this throughout our steady decline and we are where we are unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

All well and good in the top leagues where these days are ultra fit.

The vast majority of players at our level probably haven’t got, and are maybe incapable of achieving that degree of fitness.

There will be plenty of technically gifted players in the National League but won’t have the engine required to play much higher.

We have seen many examples of this throughout our steady decline and we are where we are unfortunately.

I can't understand why lower league full full time players can't be as ultra fit as those in the top flights, what are they doing all week?

Edited by BP1960

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I can't understand why lower league full full time players can't be as ultra fit as those in the top flights, what are they doing all week?

The top flight teams spend an absolute fortune on conditioning, nutrition, physios etc. Their set up and ours will be worlds apart.

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

No doubt some are but don’t have the technical ability and vice versa? In the lower leagues you have maybe one or the other but seldom both!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Because athletes tend to have different attitudes towards fitness and diet, some of our players wont be as fit as they should be the obvious ones being Fondop and McGahey who really should be playing at a level or two higher if they could manage to get ultra fit, on the flip side you'll find other players in the football league without huge technical ability but are model pros.

Unfortunately anybody playing for us in Division 5 will be lacking in an area or two be it age, fitness, attitude, technical ability, weak minded, pace etc.. that's just the reality of us slipping through the Leagues.

Edited by yarddog73

On 7/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, philsalt said:

Liandro Martis. Left our trial for a trial at Man U. From there managed to blag 3 years at Leicester and then a year at Macclesfield (don’t think he played for either). Wikipedia said he now plays in Bulgaria. 

this came up on the comments of my facebook memories.. absolute peach a goal.. I assume we was playing Preston as I think I can make out another ex latics player Daniel Johnson?

33 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

this came up on the comments of my facebook memories.. absolute peach a goal.. I assume we was playing Preston as I think I can make out another ex latics player Daniel Johnson?

A Curacao international who plays in Bulgaria, as does Gevaro Nepomuceno.  Maybe they have the same agent....

• Like 1