Sheridan's future.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan's Future sounds like one of the racing tips from Radio 4.

I'll echo Harry's comment that the new guy(s) should take a note of the fan / manager relationship here because with support, I genuinely believe the guy can bring us success.

Hell, he's far and away the man I want to bring us success.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:24 PM, lookersstandandy said:

Some people fit perfectly with a club. Coleman. Shez. It just works.

And Coreera at Nancy.....

Sheridan has pulled off a good few miracles in his time at our club.

As a player under Ritchie he managed to keep one of the worst sides I have ever had the misfortune to watch up - without the ability to run!

Taking over from Ronnie Moore - who was sacked because of very low season ticket sales because Latics fans couldn't face watching the drivel he served up (successful or not) he got us playing some of the best football I have seen in this division (recently LJ produced similar) and achieved the play-offs (although we got battered in them).

He then pulled rabbits out of the hat 2 seasons in a row when we looked doomed.

So I can see that in the modern game where affection for players and managers is hard to come by due to the short-term nature of most of them - why many fans are found of him.

But at the same time he has blotted his copy book a few times as well - the infamous fight at the dogs and at the time rumoured dressing room unrest and drinking culture.

The proving that there is no loyalty by ditching us for Notts County.

The simply awful start to the season - that at some clubs would have got him the sack.  We are seeing some improvements in the last 3 games - but some of that is due to new players that it was rumoured were nothing to do with Shez, and we are still not out of the mire with a few tough games coming up.

On top of that his record elsewhere isn't fantastic - if he'd had success elsewhere he'd have moved onwards and upwards and be after the job(s) he really wants (Wednesday or Leeds).

Nothing is black or white.

When Ritchie was sacked many (myself included) felt it was unfair and not right - but it didn't take long for Dowie (after the odd Wadsworth interlude) and a good season to make people forget.

I would feel similar now.  I wasn't convinced Ritchie would make a good manager (and I don't think he ever did - a short success at Barnsley apart) but felt he deserved the chance to try with CMs money.

I like Shez and his ability to galvanise a team to be more than a sum of its parts when the backs are against the wall.  But part of me doubts that he is the man to blend a team of better players (if money does come in) and earn promotion and then do well in the Championship.

Thst said, I'd give him the chance and see how he does.  But if the potential new owners want to change it - I won't give up on Latics, I won't scream and shout.  I'd get behind whoever came next and hope that they have a good young coach that can take over when they get sacked ;-)

Edited by Scapegoat

5 hours ago, Markspark92 said:

Can we get a "SHEZ IN" banner made up for Saturdays game, all this talk of forgien managers replacing him we need to show to the powers that be that the majority of fans want him to stay and that he has our full backing 

PLEASE JOE, DON'T GO!!! (Redeux)

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Shez in.  Interesting.

So if it was a stark choice between Shez in or Investment with Shez out, which would you choose? 

I suspect we will get both. But it's an interesting question for some here to answer. 

Shez in the investment isent going to be massive it's not like these guys are multi billionaires they will be putting a few extra quid in from there company JL2 which will enable us to bring in there clients to the development squad for free and we will getting the best ones to sign for the first team 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Shez in.  Interesting.

So if it was a stark choice between Shez in or Investment with Shez out, which would you choose? 

I suspect we will get both. But it's an interesting question for some here to answer. 

Shez out.  Investment in.

No brainier for me if it was a black and white choice.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Shez in.  Interesting.

Investment in and shez out if I had to pick one or the other!