Blackburn

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

I would not say that Shez was hand tied. He brought a lot of garbage players back that should have been ditched in the summer. Also his dithering around not getting a goal keeper of class signed up early could cost us yet promotion. Wilson and Ruddy are two of the worst keepers I have ever seen play in an Oldham shirt. He was given class foreign players but refused to play them and he lost the confidence in the dressing room. If you think that was top class management then you need to have your head tested. Shez could pick some good players for a relegation fight. I don't think he had the man management capabilities like Wellens has shown to take us up into another division. 

Brought a lot of garbage players back? Who? Davies? Hunt? Or playing the ones who kept us up? He put his faith in one or two that have cost him and when he finally got in players he actually wanted (Byrne, Bryan etc) he was able to start replacing them in the side. Results and performances were vastly improving.

Dithering around getting a GK? I agree he waited too long to get Ripley in but it isn't as black and white as you would love it to sound. Corney would've wanted Ripley as much as Shez for sell-on value. When the game was up, there was still a week or two before a GK arrived. Shez's fault they didn't? Or Corneys for not giving the funds there for Ripley for Shez to get another keeper? Of course, you seem to have the knife squarely out for Shez so your answer is already known. Whereas only 1 man knew that Abdallah was in the background waiting to put his players on the club. No wonder Simon wasn't giving Shez any funds with these freebies set to arrive. Of course Shez was hand-tied...but nah, you've got it in for Shez.

As for Wilson and Ruddy...again, Shez got what he could with what little he had. I guess you and every other smart arse Oldham fan must watch a lot of Haitian international football to know Placide was the answer. Oh and claiming he was "given class foreign players" really does show you up. Not a single one of them was known to you, I or anybody related to Latics so how on earth would you or anybody know in August they were class? They weren't fit (some still aren't!) and one or two had been turned away from other clubs. Had Shez stuck them in and been awful you would've slagged him off for that too.

The whole situation suits the agenda of someone who had it in for Shez. Well done! Claiming he wasn't hand-tied is absurd. Unless it is someone who enjoyed his demise, as some seem to be doing. Strange folk.

Edited by boundaryblue80

BB80-what a load of cobblers-Hands tied by who? He had just as much chance to take this club on as Wellens has had and look at the difference. Some people just cannot see that Sheridan had lost the plot and we would still be wallowing around the bottom of the league if he was still here. Notice there is no mention of Corney picking Wellens for the job -just another brickbat-usual agenda for you. Strange.

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

I would not say that Shez was hand tied. He brought a lot of garbage players back that should have been ditched in the summer. Also his dithering around not getting a goal keeper of class signed up early could cost us yet promotion. Wilson and Ruddy are two of the worst keepers I have ever seen play in an Oldham shirt. He was given class foreign players but refused to play them and he lost the confidence in the dressing room. If you think that was top class management then you need to have your head tested. Shez could pick some good players for a relegation fight. I don't think he had the man management capabilities like Wellens has shown to take us up into another division. 

Your comparing 4 wins to what shez has done for us? Come on I think it's your head that needs a wobble

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

BB80-what a load of cobblers-Hands tied by who? He had just as much chance to take this club on as Wellens has had and look at the difference. Some people just cannot see that Sheridan had lost the plot and we would still be wallowing around the bottom of the league if he was still here. Notice there is no mention of Corney picking Wellens for the job -just another brickbat-usual agenda for you. Strange.

Hand-tied by who? We didn't sign a GK for the season until 3pm the day before it kicked off. It's pretty fucking obvious he was hand-tied...you think Shez wanted to be sat there with no keeper the day before? Get real.

Corney picking Wellens? He's done what he's done every other time he's sacked a manager and asked the nearest guy to hold the baby. Thankfully, this guy knows what he's doing. And yet, we are courting Scholes for the job instead. Let's hope Simon actually makes a good, calculated decision for once.

Edited by boundaryblue80

2 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Why can't everyone who 'hates' banks just have this stance. Way too many 'fans' would rather tell him to fuck off, rather than him staying here and trying to prove us wrong. You can't question banks is a better footballer than fane. But, fane suits the midfield better now and we seem an extremely well balanced team now. 

To think some probably got behind Lee Hughes even though he murdered a family, just because he was a decent player for us. Yet, won't give banks anymore time to turn opinions around. Laughable. 

Having more technical ability means nothing. I went to college with a lad who was world freestyle champion. He can do more flicks and tricks than anyone I've seen. Be absolutely shite at 11 aside in league one though

30 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Having more technical ability means nothing. I went to college with a lad who was world freestyle champion. He can do more flicks and tricks than anyone I've seen. Be absolutely shite at 11 aside in league one though

Indeed, Gadner has great technical ability, but I think he's won fans over with his willingness to run the extra mile and battle for the cause.

I remember RW saying you may lose the ball occasionally, if you do win it back.

Looks to me as if this has been taken on board by the players, and if Banks responds we will hopefully see the player he could be.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Probably. Only 4 players started against Oxford that played against Blackburn. Team is vastly different now. And only further shows up how hand-tied Shez was until deadline day. The way the club is run we are badly short of the players we need every August and play catch up from September 1st every season.

I meant in the sense that how would games have ended up with the team we have now ..

I think we'd be sitting pretty up the top really looking back at the teams we played .. Burton certainly wouldn't have been a problem, neither Blackpool or Charlton!  Wigan? well maybe .. but we would be on steamroller of a start I reckon! 

pipe dream I know ... but the worlds full of 'what ifs' 

Edited by thetramfixer

8 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

I meant in the sense that how would games have ended up with the team we have now ..

I think we'd be sitting pretty up the top really looking back at the teams we played .. Burton certainly wouldn't have been a problem, neither Blackpool or Charlton!  Wigan? well maybe .. but we would be on steamroller of a start I reckon! 

pipe dream I know ... but the worlds full of 'what ifs' 

I think we have played most of the top half already.

Boundary Blue 80 I was not referring to Davies . I am not a Shez hater and never have been however he's no man manager. Like I said before he's good at spotting talent but he resigned a lot of players that where not his original signings from last season. Those are the players I was referring to. Please don't patronise me of not knowing what some of the foreign players he was given are like. Placide, Menig and a couple of others have played international football for their countries, and they are technically better than what we had before they signed. By the way how the hell do you know where I live. For your information I live the other side of the world for six months of the year so I do see players that you have never heard of. I watch lots of Asian football and I have seen Placide play before at international level. So please don't presume things. Oh and I might thank Shez for what he's done for the club but surely you must see he had lost the plot this time and dressing room confidence was at an all time low and he was playing people out of position . He will never be as good a man manager than Wellens. That showed up at Notts County and Newport. 

6 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Menig is still raw

You reckon? He's probably had the best coaching & "upbringing" in the whole squad as evidenced by his quality finish....

I think fitness and match sharpness are the only issues and once they're right he could rip this league apart if I'm correct...

23 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Boundary Blue 80 I was not referring to Davies . I am not a Shez hater and never have been however he's no man manager. Like I said before he's good at spotting talent but he resigned a lot of players that where not his original signings from last season. Those are the players I was referring to. Please don't patronise me of not knowing what some of the foreign players he was given are like. Placide, Menig and a couple of others have played international football for their countries, and they are technically better than what we had before they signed. By the way how the hell do you know where I live. For your information I live the other side of the world for six months of the year so I do see players that you have never heard of. I watch lots of Asian football and I have seen Placide play before at international level. So please don't presume things. Oh and I might thank Shez for what he's done for the club but surely you must see he had lost the plot this time and dressing room confidence was at an all time low and he was playing people out of position . He will never be as good a man manager than Wellens. That showed up at Notts County and Newport. 

International level for the likes of Haiti & Curacao etc. It really really doesn't mean a lot. I'm happy with their fledgling starts to their Latics career and they are appearing better than 99% of fans could have predicted because there's no way almost anyone could've said if these were any good. Guessed at it, perhaps.

There was also plenty of politics going on inside the club which massively affected Shez being able to do his job. Your criticisms are highly unfair but hey, it's your opinion and I'll challenge them if I think they're wrong. And I do.

25 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

U21 only, but I get the point :D

TBH I dont think Shez had lost the plot as such, I think there were a couple of unlucky moments, which if hadnt gone against us would see Shez still in charge. I also think, had Byrne/Gardner/Bryan been available from the seasons start, Shez would still be the gaffer. The one thing I think Wellens has done differently is study the opposition and play an X1 from us that could expose them. I seemed to think Shez was more a "let them worry about us" kinda guy, and didnt like to change his experienced players, even though they were exposed. 

And his man management skills were shown up when he had a barny with Lee Hughes, long before Notts Co and Newport!

HarryBosch you are correct about Menig. He just needs more game time and I think all will see we have a little gem of a player on our hands until the end of the season. One thing is for sure scoring that goal on Saturday will do his confidence a world of good.

7 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

HarryBosch you are correct about Menig. He just needs more game time and I think all will see we have a little gem of a player on our hands until the end of the season. One thing is for sure scoring that goal on Saturday will do his confidence a world of good.

The celebration said it all, he loves it here.

4 minutes ago, youngen said:

U21 only, but I get the point :D

TBH I dont think Shez had lost the plot as such, I think there were a couple of unlucky moments, which if hadnt gone against us would see Shez still in charge. I also think, had Byrne/Gardner/Bryan been available from the seasons start, Shez would still be the gaffer. The one thing I think Wellens has done differently is study the opposition and play an X1 from us that could expose them. I seemed to think Shez was more a "let them worry about us" kinda guy, and didnt like to change his experienced players, even though they were exposed. 

And his man management skills were shown up when he had a barny with Lee Hughes, long before Notts Co and Newport!

The major things Wellens did when he took charge was 1) Change the goal keeper. 2) Take Gerrard out of the back line and replace him with Bryan which is Bryan's favourite position. 3) Study the opposition by watching them play in at least 3 games and also watching a game they have won and one that they have lost. 4) Play Fane in his most effective position. 5) Drop Banks. 6) Instill confidence into the team through the spine of the team.

i agree with you that Shez was unlucky in some results such as Fleetwood . However you have confirmed with what I said about him being a bad man manager when you mention the incident with Lee Hughes. He lost the dressing room then like he has done again now and there I rest my case he's lost the plot.

1 minute ago, Smiler13 said:

The major things Wellens did when he took charge was 1) Change the goal keeper. 2) Take Gerrard out of the back line and replace him with Bryan which is Bryan's favourite position. 3) Study the opposition by watching them play in at least 3 games and also watching a game they have won and one that they have lost. 4) Play Fane in his most effective position. 5) Drop Banks. 6) Instill confidence into the team through the spine of the team.

i agree with you that Shez was unlucky in some results such as Fleetwood . However you have confirmed with what I said about him being a bad man manager when you mention the incident with Lee Hughes. He lost the dressing room then like he has done again now and there I rest my case he's lost the plot.

The final straw was the capitulation at Rotherham - maybe that's what convinced SC that it was time for change.

I would also add to your list

7) play a pressing game 

8) play with high tempo

9) be ready to go from the first minute

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The final straw was the capitulation at Rotherham - maybe that's what convinced SC that it was time for change.

I would also add to your list

7) play a pressing game 

8) play with high tempo

9) be ready to go from the first minute

10) More movement off the ball.

11). Playing as a team rather than a collection of individuals.

12) Inspirational  coaching from the bench.

13) Most of the foreign signings made to feel at home and part of the set up.

One prediction based on your fast starts to game,

Gardner will score directly after receiving the ball from the kick off.

He almost did it against Blackburn with a surging run, but opted to pass instead of shooting. This to me is a RW training routine and some team will fall for it.

Edited by BP1960

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

And yet plenty of people were happy with the squad going into the season.

I was one of these people and with things as they were on July 1st, I thought it was the right way to go.

We had players who were flawed but they were also players who Shez had turned into a cohesive unit in the 2nd half of the season.  We were desperate for stability after the last 2 and a half years with not a lot of money to spend, therefore keeping faith with the majority of the squad with a few key additions made the most sense to me.

What happened in August off the pitch changed nearly everything.  The huge influx of players (the majority of which have been decent) meant that stability was no longer an option.  Shez didn't manage to build a functioning team making quite a few tactical mistakes along the way and 4 points from 9 games is worthy of a sacking, but Shez only had the squad we have now for 5 games and in those they were, for the most part, still working their way to full fitness.

Wellens has been exceptional but that doesn't mean that Shez was shit.  Shez just didn't do well in a very difficult and unsettled environment.

Also to the people saying he did shit at Newport and Notts County?  Newport he didn't do well or badly, he wasn't there for long and did an OK job.  Taking them from bottom of the league to outside the drop zone.  At Notts County he didn't do well of course but the transfer embargo that was supposed to be lifted soon after he arrived in the summer wasn't actually lifted until after he left the club as the takeover wasn't completed by then.  So again he was managing in a difficult situation.  He isn't the messiah but there have usually been circumstances beyond his control that have held him back when he's failed.

There is an interview with Fane on the OS in which he is very complimentary about Wellens. He says he is a "very very very very good coach".

Asked what he has changed, he said he has given them more confidence, saying several times that they now play without fear. He said he doesn't shout at them when they make a mistake and just encourages them to forget about it and keep playing. He also said that Wellens is very well prepared with regard to the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.

I think it's well know that Shez enjoyed giving out a rollocking from the touchline and may be didn't focus too much on the opposition.

In his own interview, Wellens is similarly complimentary about Fane, saying that the work he does is the reason that Byrne and Gardner can do what they do. Gives him a few other compliments too. He certainly doesnt come across as someone who doesn't rate him, as some here have suggested.

28 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

To be fair if you'd of given me the job I'd of done five of the six things Wellens has done and I'd of got Wellens to do the other. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

One bad call from Shez over the summer was giving Green another year.  I would of said goodbye. 

He has been injured though and could fit in well as a squad man if RW gets the job.

We may also see an improved Flynn.