January transfer window

4 hours ago, palmer1 said:

They shoot they score, he does not stop enough shots that are on target.

He does. 

He just does. :lol:

Plenty. And some of them very, very good saves aswell.

Then he often jumps up sharpish and launches an attack rather than lieing on it for 10 seconds like many keepers. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I trust you write to the newspapers condemning their transfer rumours, many of which come to nothing?

No,  because the newspapers do make some rumours up or filch them from sites like this for attention which helps sell their crappy papers.

Passing on knowingly wrong information is a bit childish.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He does. 

Then he often jumps up sharpish and launches an attack rather than lieing on it for 10 seconds like many keepers. 

Can you explain his recent spell of conceding 8 goals in 9 efforts on target?

The ratio has not improved very much since that recent run. 

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He does. 

He’s done that once. He’s tried it a million times since and gives the ball straight away... 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No,  because the newspapers do make some rumours up or filch them from sites like this for attention which helps sell their crappy papers.

Passing on knowingly wrong information is a bit childish.

Knowingly?..you think I'm a mind reader now.

21 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Can you explain his recent spell of conceding 8 goals in 9 efforts on target?

The ratio has not improved very much since that recent run. 

Apart from the Shrewsbury goal I can’t think of any obvious errors recently. Also, I can’t think of any that basically weren’t one on ones or free headers etc. Nothing from outside the box? Maybe Charlton because he was beaten at his near post but he was left totally exposed by the defence. Common theme for recent goals conceded. 

Ripley is a better shot stopper and better positionally, but I’d have Placide ahead on collecting crosses and distribution/being part of the passing game. 

Loved Ripley and he’s the better keeper all round out of the two, but as far as fitting in to our style of play with Wellens, I’d rather have Placide and spend budget elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Apart from the Shrewsbury goal I can’t think of any obvious errors recently. Also, I can’t think of any that basically weren’t one on ones or free headers etc. Nothing from outside the box? Maybe Charlton because he was beaten at his near post but he was left totally exposed by the defence. Common theme for recent goals conceded. 

Ripley is a better shot stopper and better positionally, but I’d have Placide ahead on collecting crosses and distribution/being part of the passing game. 

Loved Ripley and he’s the better keeper all round out of the two, but as far as fitting in to our style of play with Wellens, I’d rather have Placide and spend budget elsewhere. 

Well Ripley is shipping goals for fun this season. Shipped loads when he played for Burton and his record after tonight is 6 playing for Bury in 2 games. 

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think he should have done better for the last 3 goals hes conceded, Shrews (error) Charlton ( near post,  bad positioning) Bristol Rover (He came & made the strikers mind up for him when hint got back). Prior to that he conceded 4 at Plymouth. I'm not saying he is a bad keeper by any stretch however I think some of the adulation he gets for other aspects of his game means the basics which he hasn't done well consistently for a while is being ignored. 

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

I think he should have done better for the last 3 goals hes conceded, Shrews (error) Charlton ( near post,  bad positioning) Bristol Rover (He came & made the strikers mind up for him when hint got back). Prior to that he conceded 4 at Plymouth. I'm not saying he is a bad keeper by any stretch however I think some of the adulation he gets for other aspects of his game means the basics which he hasn't done well consistently for a while is being ignored. 

For me Hunt is at fault for the Bristol Rovers goal, he should have shielded the ball back then Placide was in a good position to collect. Hunt was weak so Placide was caught in no mans land. 

Plymouth he was left totally exposed for all for all of them I think. 

Not saying he hasn’t made mistakes. Just that I don’t consider the recent run of most shots going in as down to him. 

Given Placide's habit of wandering off his line, any attacking player should be looking to lob him.

Plymouth and Bristol Rovers perfect examples.  The third at Carlisle stands out too.  Also with the added feature of multiple defensive fuck ups before the final shot.

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Is not some of the adulation mentioned above about Placide more the fact that he is different to other goal keepers we have had at Boundary Park? Having seen both I have no preference but they are completeley different players doing the same job.

They do the same job but in different ways, it all depends what you want really and I can see why Johnny is well liked by our fans but the fact remains if they shoot more often than not they score.

Edited by yarddog73

9 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Rob Hunt has a lot of blame in Bristol Rovers goal. Poor and weak defending should of been in row Z. Charlton one did come through a number of bodies so those two I think are harsh.