If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

That isn’t what unanimous means.

I hadn’t even realised there was a poll on this thread. I was going by the gist of what I’d read since relegation.

Also, looking over that question, voting that you’d retain Wellens doesn’t even necessarily mean you think he’s deserved it...

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He you'd have just walked straight to the job centre when you've a family to feed...

Maybe I'm old skool but for me it's not about any amount of money, it's about honour but obviously Wellens has very thick skin

8 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Maybe I'm old skool but for me it's not about any amount of money, it's about honour but obviously Wellens has very thick skin

For me it’s about paying the mortgage. If I was shit at my job I’d carry on turning up till they carried me out kicking and screaming but each to their own 

or at the very least find a new one before handing the notice in 

Edited by Buckshawlatic

I would ususually say time to go.

But knowing what AL or lemmy hinted at with regards to influences both in and outside our club, (one being removed this week by the way...), I think a second chance, full pre season and all should be given. Don't we usually say 10 games in?

Mistakes have been made on all sides, both have time to reflect and have a clean slate and build something good.

its never a dull moment being a latics fan...hahah

10 minutes ago, underdog said:

I would ususually say time to go.

But knowing what AL or lemmy hinted at with regards to influences both in and outside our club, (one being removed this week by the way...), I think a second chance, full pre season and all should be given. Don't we usually say 10 games in?

Mistakes have been made on all sides, both have time to reflect and have a clean slate and build something good.

its never a dull moment being a latics fan...hahah

10 games? he's had 30+ games!

Another 10 in the new season and that's another season goosed!

18 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

For me it’s about paying the mortgage. If I was shit at my job I’d carry on turning up till they carried me out kicking and screaming but each to their own 

or at the very least find a new one before handing the notice in 

Paying the Mortgage? Wellens shouldn't have one of those with what he's been paid throughout his career, maybe he's got ten houses who knows? Sorry but he's done as far as I'm concerned

1 minute ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Paying the Mortgage? Wellens shouldn't have one of those with what he's been paid throughout his career, maybe he's got ten houses who knows? Sorry but he's done as far as I'm concerned

Not saying he does but suggesting someone should walk from a paying job is madness (and as you said it was about honour it suggested you would do the same and I imagine that, unlike Wellens you do have direct debits to think of)

if if he resigns he would get a lot less (if anything) than if sacked - honour, loyalty call it what you want it’s a job at the end of of the day.

He May be done as far as you’re concerned but as of yet he isn’t as far as the club or AL are.

13 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Not a fan?

People live according to their means. He'll have a very decent house no doubt and family, and school fees etc, investments (he's invested in a lifestyle co iirc). Of course, fortunate, undeniably.

But if he left, what does he do for the next 30,40,50 years of his life and family. He might like a gamble for all we know.

Depends where he lives too.

He and AL may be negotiating a settlement as we speak, or he may just be away on (paid) leave  And will resolve when he gets back.

Edited by singe

6 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Not saying he does but suggesting someone should walk from a paying job is madness (and as you said it was about honour it suggested you would do the same and I imagine that, unlike Wellens you do have direct debits to think of)

if if he resigns he would get a lot less (if anything) than if sacked - honour, loyalty call it what you want it’s a job at the end of of the day.

He May be done as far as you’re concerned but as of yet he isn’t as far as the club or AL are.

It might not be a question of money for Wellens but he's going to have far better career prospects if he leaves his first job under his own steam.

48 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Wellens is still in the building???? Had I failed to do my job with what he had at his disposal then the very least I would have done is held my hand up and walked knowing full well that I'd had the chance to improve it but failed miserably

Now we have a situation where all the shortcomings of his mismanagement will follow us into League Two and that shouldn't be allowed to happen at any level.

Thing is if you want to compare him to say a joiner in the real world did he have the tools to do the job? Lets face it the majority of our last half dozen managers have had cheese strings for nails and a slipper for an hammer.

2 minutes ago, leeslover said:

It might not be a question of money for Wellens but he's going to have far better career prospects if he leaves his first job under his own steam.

Had he not just been the first manager to relegate his club in 21 years I’d agree 

55 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Wellens is still in the building???? Had I failed to do my job with what he had at his disposal then the very least I would have done is held my hand up and walked knowing full well that I'd had the chance to improve it but failed miserably

Now we have a situation where all the shortcomings of his mismanagement will follow us into League Two and that shouldn't be allowed to happen at any level.

Neither can i. He's been a disaster. After his caretaker honeymoon, his teams were okay, then inconsistent, then poor, then piss poor, then piss poor and spineless. Why anyone thinks he should stay is totally beyond me. I can accept going down, to a limited extent, providing we put up a genuine fight. We didn't. Unable to motivate and not that great tactically, he then resorted to blaming the pitch and the training ground. He actually strikes me as someone who talks a lot, tries to impress with his knowledge, borders on arrogant but is actually very superficial in every way. He's actually a bit thick, arrogant and full of shit.  He reminds me of Steve Eyre, only worse. He might want to stay in order to pay his bills, but wouldn't that just sum up the level of his commitment?  He didn't look like he gave a shit. it didn't seem to hurt. He looked like he really couldn't have given a toss. i really don't like him. He's been a disaster. He should go -NOW.

5 minutes ago, leeslover said:

THat's interesting LL, but I'd be surprised if it made much of a difference in any next football job whether he'd been sacked or left.
Of course, very different in the real world, but then sacking purely on performance is comparatively rare.

When we have not had a rookie, we've just them on there overall results and positions with previous clubs rather than if they were sacked or not I feel. Look as recently as Shez, we didn't care Notts county sacked him, nor did Corney.

20 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Neither can i. He's been a disaster. After his caretaker honeymoon, his teams were okay, then inconsistent, then poor, then piss poor, then piss poor and spineless. Why anyone thinks he should stay is totally beyond me. I can accept going down, to a limited extent, providing we put up a genuine fight. We didn't. Unable to motivate and not that great tactically, he then resorted to blaming the pitch and the training ground. He actually strikes me as someone who talks a lot, tries to impress with his knowledge, borders on arrogant but is actually very superficial in every way. He's actually a bit thick, arrogant and full of shit.  He reminds me of Steve Eyre, only worse. He might want to stay in order to pay his bills, but wouldn't that just sum up the level of his commitment?  He didn't look like he gave a shit. it didn't seem to hurt. He looked like he really couldn't have given a toss. i really don't like him. He's been a disaster. He should go -NOW.

He had to work with what he'd got and although he had some input in recruiting I think team morale may have been affected. He will hopefully have learned a few lessons in human nature and team tactics after this and come out stronger next season.

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Maybe, just maybe, Wellens believes he will have the right circumstances to take us back up and do a job.

He will know what AL has planned.

Maybe he believes he can do an unbelievable job

No excuses then?

33 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Calm down calm down.

47 minutes ago, singe said:

Not a fan?

People live according to their means. He'll have a very decent house no doubt and family, and school fees etc, investments (he's invested in a lifestyle co iirc). Of course, fortunate, undeniably.

But if he left, what does he do for the next 30,40,50 years of his life and family. He might like a gamble for all we know.

Depends where he lives too.

He and AL may be negotiating a settlement as we speak, or he may just be away on (paid) leave  And will resolve when he gets back.

He's gone on a family holiday. That's why Moisey dealt with the signing of Stott this week. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No excuses then?

He can't have any this season. He will have a full pre season and he knows exactly what he's getting into.

Even if the pitch is shit and the training ground is flooded he should already be working on how to cope with that

Right now, it feels a bit like the end of the season after Shez’s 1st resurrection....the one where Shez got a job elsewhere and Corney got a pay off. 

Maybe Richie and Abdallah are both waiting for MK Dons to get back to them...or something else...