Squad movements, summer 2018

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

So after the dizzy heights of Nate’s players were looking at Giles coke ??  We’re back in the not so bargain basbent of Thenever have beens and never will be’s. Let’s hope we can hold onto our better players.

Nate? 

Looking at something like this kinda lineup in our first friendlies?

Keeper (has Placide taken part in pre season??)

Dummigan

Edmundson

Clarke

Hunt

Fane

Byrne

Nepomuceno

Baxter

Gardner

Holloway

Probably be more of a mix of first choicers, backups and trialists though eh?

26 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Thought Fane was on a plane to Indonesia? Has he been seen at training since?

He was with the rest of the squad training today. I was 3 feet away from him. So he is definately still with us.

1 hour ago, Simpo said:

Dummigan

Edmundson

Clarke

Hunt

Fane

Byrne

Nepomuceno

Baxter

Gardner

Holloway

With the current squad, I'd go for:

Keeper (Placide?)

Edmundson

Clarke

Stott (for balance)

Dummigan

Fane

Gardner

Nepomuceno

Byrne

Baxter

Holloway

3 centre backs would negate the need of having a holding midfielder, allowing Fane and Gardner to be energetic in the middle.  Dummigan and Nepo as wingbacks.  Holloway as the target man to do the dirty work and, quite frankly, if he can't score with Byrne and Baxter creating for him then he doesn't deserve to be a professional footballer.

4 hours ago, Simpo said:

Dummigan

Edmundson

Clarke

Hunt

Fane

Byrne

Nepomuceno

Baxter

Gardner

Holloway

Byrne DCM? No thanks.

7 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Keeper (Placide?)

Edmundson

Clarke

Stott (for balance)

Dummigan

Fane

Gardner

Nepomuceno

Byrne

Baxter

Holloway

3 centre backs would negate the need of having a holding midfielder, allowing Fane and Gardner to be energetic in the middle.  Dummigan and Nepo as wingbacks.  Holloway as the target man to do the dirty work and, quite frankly, if he can't score with Byrne and Baxter creating for him then he doesn't deserve to be a professional footballer.

Rhodes in goal.  Bunn in for Holloway..

7 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Keeper (Placide?)

Edmundson

Clarke

Stott (for balance)

Dummigan

Fane

Gardner

Nepomuceno

Byrne

Baxter

Holloway

Stott ahead of Hamer? 

8 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Keeper (Placide?)

Edmundson

Clarke

Stott (for balance)

Dummigan

Fane

Gardner

Nepomuceno

Byrne

Baxter

Holloway

Placide

Edmundson

Clarke

Hamer

Hunt

Dummigan

Gardner

Byrne

Nepomuceno

Baxter

Forward (Holloway) 

Current squad as you say, but I think we'll get a main striker though, we can't go into the season with only 1 out and out striker. 

I have faith Rhodes can get more out of Placide.

I think we need 2 older heads at the back to balance out the younger Edmundsen and Hamer, so Hunt gets the nod. 

Byrne box to box. 

Baxter with a freer role. 

You said Dummigan as wing back, but put him in midfield, I think you meant right wing. A big compromise despite playing there a dozen times but I haven't seen him play there most of you will have 

Were too imbalanced to put Dummigan on the wing. 

I'd certainly play a couple of halves in your formation though. 

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Stott ahead of Hamer? 

As I said, in a back 3 Stott would give the defence more balance that Hamer on the left and I'd currently go for Edmundson ahead of Hamer.  I'd probably go for Hamer in a straight choice between him and Stott but in a back 3 Stott could be very useful this season.

Hamer did really well in difficult circumstances at the end of last season, but I'd definitely start with Edmundson ahead of him in the pecking order.  He also did very well at the end of the season and has a lot more pro games under his belt, so unless Hamer excels during pre-season I'd have him as backup for the time being.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As I said, in a back 3 Stott would give the defence more balance that Hamer on the left and I'd currently go for Edmundson ahead of Hamer.  I'd probably go for Hamer in a straight choice between him and Stott but in a back 3 Stott could be very useful this season.

Hamer did really well in difficult circumstances at the end of last season, but I'd definitely start with Edmundson ahead of him in the pecking order.  He also did very well at the end of the season and has a lot more pro games under his belt, so unless Hamer excels during pre-season I'd have him as backup for the time being.

Hamer is better as a right full back or wing back and he’s got a great throw in him

I'm clearly influenced by Southgate's England experiment with Kyle Walker in a back three but I wonder whether Rob Hunt could so a similar job there? 

A back 3 does make sense with the lack of wide men we currently have and I think Dummigan and Nepo would be more than adequate League 2 wingbacks.  A midfield 3 would allow Byrne to play centrally with Baxter supporting Holloway or a new striker that we will inevitably bring in.

It'll probably all change in the next 4 weeks though...