Squad movements, summer 2018

No it doesn't but it does help with fitness which, although not as important in my day, is pretty important nowadays. Maybe I'm just more (too) patient than most but I like to see someone 4 or 5 games before making my personal assessment whether they're going to be a Jim Fryatt or a Dickie Down.

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Ah, one of our supporters who can see a player without a full pre-season and then returning after a serious illness and make an absolute assessment as to their ability ! 

I'd like to see a bit more of him to be sure, to be sure.

Did Duffus play for us after his illness? 

I think the value of a full pre-season can be underestimated by some though. 

23 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Did Duffus play for us after his illness? 

I think the value of a full pre-season can be underestimated by some though. 

Don't think he did. I thought he was on the bench a couple of times when injuries demanded but I may be wrong. Although the standard isn't the same they seem to appreciate him in Waterford. I'm over there at the end of the month for Galway races and was hoping to watch him but am back on Friday the 3rd when they play.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Pre season is one of the great football myths, doing a bit of extra running in July doesn't make you play better in January.

What is easier: getting yourself to a high level of fitness or maintaining yourself at that level of fitness?

- in my view, putting the extra effort in during pre-season should make it easier to keep yourself fit through the season.

51 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

50 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

What is easier: getting yourself to a high level of fitness or maintaining yourself at that level of fitness?

- in my view, putting the extra effort in during pre-season should make it easier to keep yourself fit through the season.

Personally I find getting to that high level of fitness is taking a while. Once I'm there it'll be a piece of piss !