Squad movements, summer 2018

8 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

The Latics fans behaviour towards Byrne is embarrassing.

not one person has one bit of proof of his attitude or his behaviour. .

Byrne was ridiculously bad managed and lost his way a bit.

24 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

No proof he was badly managed? Apart from his manager coming out and slating him in the press and playing him out of position...

Strange though isn’t it that not much seems to have changed under the new management regime? 

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

You’re talking nonsense. He played 2 full league games for them. The general consensus is that he wasn’t given a fair chance under Coyle and was wrongly left out in favour of the underperforming Akpan. Literally search ‘Jack Byrne #rovers’ on Twitter and find me one Blackburn fan who is critical of him. 

I don’t need to.... my mate, a season ticket holder for 45 years told me.  It started at half time when I had a chat with him and a few of his Robers mates and said Byrne was schooling their team. They immediately replied he wasn’t half the player for them. But yeah, social media opinions trump everything so you win. 

11 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

We signed a player, not a priest.

Byrne has the quality to make a real difference next season. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him playing for us, when he's clearly of a talent level higher than League Two.

I think you are allowing his talent to cloud your judgement. 

Do we have the same kind of player in the squad? Yes

Where else can he play apart from no.10? Nowhere ( unless we play 3-5-2)

Is he on a good wedge? Yes I'm sure

Does he have a bad atttiude? We don't know, but there is a strong chance he does.

Talk of commanding 250k for him is obscene .

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

We signed a player, not a priest.

Byrne has the quality to make a real difference next season. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him playing for us, when he's clearly of a talent level higher than League Two.

He lasted 2 minutes at Blackburn before they sent him back to City. Moved to Wigan but soon clashed with Paul Cook who was happy to get rid of him. He had run ins with Wellens last season, and now he seems to have upset FB. 

All of this in 2 years at 3 different clubs. There’s a common denominator here!!

Yes he’s undeniably got talent, but talent alone isn’t enough, especially in a team game. Attitude, application and respect are needed too. I don’t know if he’s lacking any of those because I don’t know him, but the fact that he always seems to be upsetting managers probably suggests he is.

Having said all of that, I hope he stays because he can be an asset to the team and the club, but he needs to buck up and knuckle down.

The world doesn’t revolve around Jack Byrne.

Edited by Gary1906
Addition made.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

There's as much proof that he was badly managed as there is of his attitude or behaviour..

Zlatan and Ronaldo have earned the right to have the attitude because they're proven winners at the top level.  If Byrne does have such an attitude, he's got it before winning anything of real consequence.  It shouldn't be that way round.

He's obviously got talent - hopefully Bunn can get him ticking because he could be outstanding in this division.

Whattt????? If you are a good player and prove it then you can act like a prick?

The two examples, Zlatan and fake ronaldo were not choir boys who changed their attitudes when they won a few trophies, they have been pricks all their lives. Their prick attitudes probably helped them succeed.

Great players tho.

32 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Whattt????? If you are a good player and prove it then you can act like a prick?

The two examples, Zlatan and fake ronaldo were not choir boys who changed their attitudes when they won a few trophies, they have been pricks all their lives. Their prick attitudes probably helped them succeed.

Great players tho.

They haven’t got bad attitudes though, their ‘attitude’ is just monumental arrogance. I’d suggest nobody trains as hard or tries as hard as these two.  Byrne doesn’t.  He just sulks when he doesn’t get his own way. Even mentioning them in the same conversation is ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

The Latics fans behaviour towards Byrne is embarrassing. And you wonder why players never want to stay here?

not one person has one bit of proof of his attitude or his behaviour. Just because he doesn’t fit the consensus what Latics fans seem to prefer of a player running around like a headless chicken.

Hes a class player, very clever and he’s a winner, said it himself. All players who are winners have a similar attitude to him. Look at ronaldo and zlatan...

it it seems like cause he didn’t single-Handedly keep us up it’s like he’s the scapegoat and he’s the worst person in the world.

Absolutely bizarre some Latics ‘fans’.

Fans have become increasingly fed up and frustrated at the clear attitude problem that clouds his undoubted footballing talent and fantastic ability. On the pitch he’s either the best player on the park (was on many occasions) or not involved at all, some games with him on the pitch it felt like we were playing 10 v 11. As well as this, his style of play and his ‘game’ didn’t suit that of a relegation battle. Byrne was and is a luxury player and when going quite well will thrive on driving the team to player even better football.

There is a clear reason why he has had so many clubs and why he has the same reputation at every single one of them and sadly reputation goes before some players, this could spoil his footballing career, certainly in the UK as people talk.

As much as they are ‘rumours’ you can’t help but feel there is substance behind them. Again, the saying goes ‘no smoke without fire’. Fane has his leg broken and a dislocated ankle which the club haven’t confirmed how it happened. Yet, since that has happened he hasn’t featured at all and has been suspended by the club, although this has been confirmed officially either.

If he has done it intentionally (I’d hope no footballer would to a fellow teammate) then for me he has to go at all costs. However, to get rid, somebody needs to take a chance and I feel that is unlikely, once again certainly in the UK due to his reputation of sulking and his attitude issues. For him to go elsewhere, we need it to be handled as if the tackle was a clear accident, once again, I hope it was but sadly off a number of reports heard it doesn’t sound that way.

A player with amazing talent and sometimes worth the entrance fee alone granted, unfortunately for me I feel he is too much to handle and for that reason and that reason alone I would actively look to sell.

Im not sure some of you understand what a bad attitude is. The likes of Ronaldo and Zlatan have a huge belief in their ability which is seen as arrogance it doesnt mean they haven't worked bloody hard to get to where they are.

If Jack Byrne has the belief that hes the best player in the division then thats fine I dont mind egos. Aslong as they understand they are part of a team hes part of a plan by the coaching team and he has to back it and buy into it. 

10 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

The Latics fans behaviour towards Byrne is embarrassing. And you wonder why players never want to stay here?

not one person has one bit of proof of his attitude or his behaviour. Just because he doesn’t fit the consensus what Latics fans seem to prefer of a player running around like a headless chicken.

Hes a class player, very clever and he’s a winner, said it himself. All players who are winners have a similar attitude to him. Look at ronaldo and zlatan...

it it seems like cause he didn’t single-Handedly keep us up it’s like he’s the scapegoat and he’s the worst person in the world.

Absolutely bizarre some Latics ‘fans’.

I agree with some of the above apart from 2 things.

1.You have no proof of mismanagement just that Jack didn't like playing in a certain position. Sometimes we have to do things at work we don't like, that's on Jack. 

2. To be a winner don't you have to win something?

Can’t belive people are making a big deal out of how often he’s been ‘moved on’ by other clubs. He’s played permanently for 3 teams at the age of 22 - that’s pretty average. Fane is 24 and has had 7 permanent clubs...

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Can’t belive people are making a big deal out of how often he’s been ‘moved on’ by other clubs. He’s played permanently for 3 teams at the age of 22 - that’s pretty average. Fane is 24 and has had 7 permanent clubs...

Can you define ‘played permanently’. I don’t think he made an appearance for City, his first ‘permanent’ club. He played 2 games for Wigan (his second ‘permanent’ club) and now Latics where it looks like he’s upset people yet again and will possibly be moved on again.

He needs to take a good hard look at himself. I doubt that he will though.

24 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Byrne was and is a luxury player 

You see this banded around all the time about certain players, what a load of nonsense it is.

A player who can create chances and score goals in a game of football sounds like more of a necessity to me.

Let’s take all the guesswork out. 

Do people think he did he did enough on the pitch last year? 

Personally i dont. He’s obviously very talented, but after his first few games (Blackburn at home when he was immense) he tailed off quite badly IMO. In his defence, he was played out of position, but that doesn’t excuse his inability to pass the ball, or put a shift in. 

He went from absolutely bossing games, to being the peripheral frustrating flair player. 

Can a manager trust him to be on it every week? 

I think not. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Personally i dont. He’s obviously very talented, but after his first few games (Blackburn at home when he was immense) he tailed off quite badly IMO. In his defence, he was played out of position, but that doesn’t excuse his inability to pass the ball, or put a shift in. 

He went from absolutely bossing games, to being the peripheral frustrating flair player. 

I think not. 

He was average at best after he signed permanently but that doesn't change my mind. I think people are forgetting just how good he was before Christmas - it's definitely worth the risk in a lower Division. 

24 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I agree with some of the above apart from 2 things.

1.You have no proof of mismanagement just that Jack didn't like playing in a certain position. Sometimes we have to do things at work we don't like, that's on Jack. 

2. To be a winner don't you have to win something?

1. Slating him in the press one minute and praising him the next minute, playing him out of position which is bad for both him and the team. Dropping him randomly. Bringing him on to save the game.

2. No, anyone can have a winning mentality. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He was average at best after he signed permanently but that doesn't change my mind. I think people are forgetting just how good he was before Christmas - it's definitely worth the risk in a lower Division. 

Ousmane Fane was a big reason in his good form.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think not. 

Peripheral is the operative word here. This type of player must be played centrally, or not atall. Put Baxter RW see what happens.

I am slowly, and sadly, starting to think that FB may have decided that there is little point having BaxterBaby and Byrne in the same squad ???????

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

:lol:. Love this board me.

Slightly tongue in cheek that comment from me.

But there are legs to my point that you condemn so patronisingly. Our form came from Fane winning the ball and JB getting close to him to receive the ball and pull the strings. Either you didn't notice that or don't understand that to pull the strings you need to win the ball first.

Edited by welshgaz

32 minutes ago, dec666 said:

You see this banded around all the time about certain players, what a load of nonsense it is.

A player who can create chances and score goals in a game of football sounds like more of a necessity to me.

When the going got tough and we were struggling, he didn’t create anything.

In the last 10 games he did well twice, coming off the bench in both. 

Relegation battles, you have to dig in (see season before) and players with little quality but with work ethic and bloody mindedness can help you through. 

When in a team winning and playing well he’s fantastic, games where you have to fight, no use whatsoever